.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old January 18th, 2005, 04:19 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Game listing: feedback thread

This is the thread where all comments regarding the Dominions game listing should be made (suggestions, corrections, remarks or insults). If you want to make an entry in either the "game looking for a player" or "player looking for a game" lists, this is the preferred place to do so as well.

The following information should be provided when creating an entry for a game looking for players (how you give the information does not really matter):

- Game host/game name
- PBEM or TCP/IP (with the relevant address)
- Turnaround of the game
- Map played
- Description of the game (victory conditions, level of players, mods, twists...)
- Is the game already started, or are you looking for a replacement? If so, is it a temporary or permanent replacement? What nation(s) are looking for another player? Do you know anything about their situation?

If you are instead a player looking for game(s), the following information would be useful:
- Nickname, and contact information (Instant Messaging, mail, or only through the Boards)
- PBEM or TCP/IP, if it matters to you.
- Preferred turnaround
- Favoured settings, if any.
- Are you looking for a certain number of games? That would allow me to remove you automatically from the list once you have found this number of games.
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:24 PM

General

Default Re: Game listing: feedback thread

So here comes the first draft: I guess we will see if some players actually find it useful or not. I will be working on improving the presentation of the whole thing, as it isn't exactly pretty for the moment being.

I have taken the liberty of adding the Blitz game, as I gather they are always looking for more players.
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Sergeant

puffyn is on a distinguished road

Hey Alneyan,

I like the format so far. The entries are short enough that it doesn't seem like there will be a problem even if a lot of games get added. The guide to hosting post is a great collection of information, but I'm not sure that this thread is necessarily the best place for it. If you want to still keep it, I would move it to the bottom of the thread, since most players are just going to want to open the thread and have the list of available games on their first screen without having to scroll down.

And, as a minor correction to the Yarnspinners spot: Caelum and Ermor are already at war, although I hope this won't discourage a replacing player.
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:15 PM

General

There is a problem though with putting it at the bottom: some Users are browsing the forums with the latest Posts first in a thread, so up and down do not mean the same for all Users of the Boards. On the other hand, most Users are probably using the default viewing, so putting it Last would be a more sensible choice.

You make a good point about the primer itself; I started it with the intention of keeping it very short, but I have been too verbose. Perhaps a dedicated thread with a simple link would be much better; that way, anyone wanting to read the guide would be one click away from it, and it would not take any space on the listing itself.

Thanks for the correction about Yarnspinners; I am not doing a lot of spying in the south. Something to correct I guess.