.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: Yom Kippor War - Sinai

Turn 19

North Sector
Enemy tank still in smoke, so I positioned my Sagger teams and moved several tanks forward. Infantry continuing to move forward as well. Smoke is plotted to block enemy AAA units or at least where I think they are. One Sagger team reached out and popped the enemy Sh'ot Kal in the center. One of my tanks destroyed an enemy SPA vehicle.

Center Sector
I'm trying to regroup here. Enemy is within 150m of one flag I captured, but between tank, BTR, infantry and artillery fire, they are stuck.

South Sector
Still moving northeast, but found out there is at least one enemy tank in the sector. One of my BTRs got popped. The tank might be on that big hill in the enemy deployment zone. I've got infantry moving that way to try to get eyes on it.

Casualties

Friendly: One BTR-50PK destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: One Sh'ot Kal and one M-109 Rohev destroyed, Estimated 15 casualties.
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Captain

Turn 20

North Sector
Saggers got the last enemy tank in the sector so my tanks moved out and are in the open running. The engaged and destroyed one 40mm AA-gun. They are swinging to the southeast to try to get the three flags left assigned to this sector's infantry. One more AA gun has been spotted and will be engaged this turn.

Center Sector
Enemy infantry got one of the flags I turned earlier, but are starting to run out of steam. My problem is I don't have much in the way of functional infantry in the area and I know there are unseen bazooka teams out there. I've seen two flags turned by hidden units. Has to be a size 0 and bazooka teams are a good guess. I've got infantry support coming from the north and south sectors, but there isn't enough time left. Three tanks in this sector are moving forward to try to help, but can't get too aggressive without infantry support.

South Sector
Here, my tanks are held up knowing they have enemy tanks on their right flank somewhere. I don't want to risk them to get to nearby flags. I've got infantry searching for the enemy, but no luck yet. In the meantime, my tanks are pounding the enemy infantry in the center.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: One 40mm AA-gun destroyed, Estimated 15 casualties.
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Captain

Turn 21

North Sector
My tanks ground to a halt after one got shot at by an Israeli tank. I don't see it, but it's different than what I already see. They have at least a total of five tanks left. Since they come in three tank platoons, it is more than likely nine. Anyhow, my tanks did destroy a few more AA guns. My infantry is still moving forward, however. One platoon is within 50m of an objective and another platoon is about 200m away. I don't think the second platoon will make it unless I'm graced with another turn.

Center Sector
Vehicles are pushing forward in the center. Two BTRs are within 100m of the flag the enemy just turned. One further back got popped by an enemy tank. Two SPAA units are closing in on another flag, but it's in the open. I'll have to test the area with some BTRs first. The enemy infantry is stubbornly pulling back. Tanks and another SPAA unit have been firing at another enemy AA gun.

South Sector
Infantry is still trying to locate the enemy tank(s) in the sector. There is at least one and it should be in the open, but I can't find it. Also, the enemy has another AA gun around that fires at my infantry periodically.

Casualties

Friendly: One BTR-50PK destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: One 40mm AA-gun and one TCM 20mm AAG destroyed, Estimated 15 casualties.
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:37 PM

Captain

Marginal Victory

Turn 22

North Sector
Friendly tanks held their position while infantry moved forward, jumping a couple of enemy mortars and turning one flag. One mortar was immediately destroyed and the other was destroyed running away at the end of the turn. One platoon moved forward toward the flag I knew I needed two turns to get to. They were engaged by eight enemy tanks seen in the center sector and several AA guns. Needless to say, my infantry got stopped cold.

Center Sector
I peppered the enemy infantry visible and then zipped one BTR out to turn one flag and a ZSU-57-2 to turn another. Other than that, I took a few shots at some running infantry because the shots where there. Artillery hit the enemy infantry and one mortar.

South Sector
Poked around looking for the enemy tank and AA gun in the area and the best I got was a general location. My tanks held their position.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: Two 81mm Mortar sections destroyed, estimated 15 enemy casualties.

Total Casualties

Egypt

Men: 108
Artillery: 1
Soft Vehicles: 0
APCs: 10
AFVs: 1
Air Transports/Helos: 0
Aircraft: 0

Israel

Men: 411
Artillery: 7
Soft Vehicles: 0
APCs: 18
AFVs: 19
Air Transports/Helos: 0
Aircraft: 2

Score

Egypt: 6744
Israel: 1143

Final Comments

While it was only a marginal victory, it was a strong one and I'm not really disappointed with it. Getting a decisive victory out of this battle would have been very difficult because the Israeli units out class mine across the board. Since the objectives were scattered all over the map, it ensured they would meet me on at least even odds in some places. Even odds mean I'm at a disadvantage because of quality. The AI force gets a 50% point bonus, so I was probably out numbered.

My plan seemed fine, but the enemy didn't cooperate with me. They kept a large number of tanks back in their deployment zone. Out of 30 tanks, 15 remained unmoved during the entire battle. Since some of the objectives were in the Israeli deployment zone, I would have to deal with those before I could capture them. I had expected the AI to dash forward with all their armor, my Sagger missiles destroy them and then I push in with my armor and clean up. When the AI didn't do that, I had to start moving my Saggers to get some shots. There wasn't enough time to move again to get the remaining tanks.

As expected, the Israeli infantry was very tough. Combined arms succeeded in pushing some of them back. That all changed with they got mech infantry and armor reinforcements in the middle. It took a lot of support on my side to stop them and take the flags there. The only two flags my plan called to capture I didn't have to begin with. It would have bothered me more if I had failed to recapture flags I had earlier, because it implies the enemy is taking control. As it is, I chalk failing to capture the two I was after to lack of time.

Being careful to keep my tanks from being destroyed seems like it is resulting in improved experience. They performed much better than the first campaign battle. I still can't get careless since the AI out numbered me 3 to 1 in tanks at the beginning of the battle and the Israeli tanks and crews are very good. None the less, I might be able to get a bit more aggressive with them as their skill improves.

I've attached the save just before I ended my last turn.