Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Battleground - CBM, max lvl 6 magic, no site search/research - Finished - Page 11 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battleground - CBM, max lvl 6 magic, no site search/research - Running

i'm obviously about to die, so my interest or lack thereof is irrelevant.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:08 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battleground - CBM, max lvl 6 magic, no site search/research - Running

In this case if noone else wants to continue, I think we can call the game finished.
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

We haven't heard from Eriu or Shin but based on their previous comments and the fact that their turns have also been arriving late (and Shin staled this turn) I think they are inclined to end the game.

I'll wait a few days and then delete it from the server.

Sorry this didn't turn out to be that engaging a game. It started out promising but I think the inability to get a research advantage or even globals lent itself to stalemates (I think all the eliminated nations were dogpiled).

I did, however, have fun with my faery trodding/gatewaying Master Druid pretender. He was definitely my MVP as I'd just give a him a pile of troops and send him where needed.
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:50 PM

Corporal

Dark Kitty is on a distinguished road

I have lost some interest too (this is not why I have dragged a few turns however, sorry about those :P) so I wouldn't mind ending the game (or finding a sub, if people want to continue).
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
Sorry this didn't turn out to be that engaging a game. It started out promising but I think the inability to get a research advantage or even globals lent itself to stalemates (I think all the eliminated nations were dogpiled).
Not quite true, i'm definitely getting eliminated in a 1v1. Its just taken a long time.

I'm not sure the format is necessarily bad. I feel like I chose my nation poorly. Couldn't get quite enough mileage out of my dominion effects, and I failed to realize just how much my combat effectiveness depended on spells available after level 6 research.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:31 AM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road

Do people think its possible to revamp the concept somehow, to make it more engaging? In principle, it certainly sounded like a fun idea.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:08 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
I'm not sure the format is necessarily bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojones1971 View Post
Do people think its possible to revamp the concept somehow, to make it more engaging? In principle, it certainly sounded like a fun idea.
I liked the idea as well, as I'm not a big fan of the traditional endgame. And maybe the format just needs some fine-tuning and isn't simply flawed. After all, normal games can sometimes also lose steam.

The aim of this game was to limit magic and also remove any distractions like research or site searching and just get right to the mid-game battles. In retrospect, I think putting the focus on limiting magic but requiring normal site searching and research would make for a more interesting game. I also thought about giving each nation a unique "spell of mastery" (i.e. a global) at level 8 or 9 to liven things up and provide a long term goal that could change the balance of power. Probably not from the first tier of globals but things like gem generators would be fine.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:43 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

As Ulm, I really missed a half-decent summon to equip. I mean, it's all right to spam rods of fire bolt to put on scouts and black acolytes, but it's funnier to kit thugs and SCs. I could at best maybe get a troll lord, and the national summon iron angel was unavailable.
Now, I enjoyed the game, so I'm not the best to propose a change to the format.