.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old July 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Boot Camp - Newbie intro to Dominions MP - Running

Personally, I would not be a big fan of a sub. As this game is starting to get towards the end both in stuff that can still be done, and my personal motivation.

Sadly I do not know the position of Marignon all that good. Sure he has most of the elemental royalty, and some other SC. But my skrattir can send those to hell in a heartbeat. And the past few turns I have been increasing my blood slave income even more, it depends on the turn, but each turn I have enough slaves to summon devils+imps and a vamp lord. With slaves to spare. I think I would eventually destroy Marignon, but it will take many many turns. As I would either need very large and vulnerable armies. (As I still cannot beat a large Marignon army without nasty tricks). Or, a lot of time to allow my dominion to push into mars lands. (And I would need to assassinate his inquisitor priests).

In my own lands I have enough vamps and vamp lords to withstand any invasion. I just need to prevent mar from getting a foothold. (which he got before, and that cost me some dominion, and thus lands).

And of course Astral Corruption could be dispelled, but that would just force me to put it up a few turns later.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

After the incredible fight you and DragonRider have had (What is, 60 turns? Maybe more?) it does seem a shame to have a sub step in. And the game is now far enough along that it is probably starting to become a burden, rather than being fun.

We haven't heard from Pjoo, so I'll PM him. Assuming he agrees, let's end the game.
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

I heard back from Pjoo and he's also ok with ending the game. Congratulations, Soyweiser!

As an observer, it really seemed like Soyweiser and DragonRider had a superb, evenly matched, fight that went on for most of the game. Soyweiser, did you still plan on writing an AAR? I'd be interested in hearing some more on how this war went. And hopefully DragonRider will stop by at some point and give us his side of the tale.

I also want to thank Pjoo again for stepping in as a sub.

I hope everyone enjoyed the game.

Edit: I also really enjoyed some of the posts in this thread. DragonRider's comments on Zwago the Zmey's Krazy Kokytos Adventure were hilarious.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Colonel

Default Re: Boot Camp - Finished - Soyweiser/Jotunheim wins!

Thanks for hosting Valerius. I'll try to do some sort of AAR. But it is going to be a lot of work. So it will be long term stuff. If I do not finish it, feel free to remind me .
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

Groundworm is on a distinguished road

Good game, everyone. And much thanks again to Valerius, who has been an excellent and accommodating host.
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Corporal

DragonRider is on a distinguished road

Oh man. I'm really sorry I disappeared for so long. It's kind of a long story...the short version is that my computer was crippled and I needed to reformat, but it turned out that somebody misplaced or threw out my Windows XP disk for some unthinkable reason. Cue days spent frantically searching for it, giving up, paying far too much for a new one online (from some tiny outlet, because XP hasn't been manufactured for years), it takes forever to get delivered, I wind up so far behind in my work that I need to spend all my time catching up with that for a while, and a bunch of other obligations crop up on top of it.

Maybe it's for the best. To be honest I don't think I had much of a chance at this point. My original plan, such as it was, was to take the six or so death mages I had acquired through various means, give them all Communion Matrices and as much penetration gear as I could fit on them, and spam Control the Dead like crazy in hopes of getting rid of those vampires permanently.

The problem with this was twofold...one, it would have been trivial for Jotunheim to cast Antimagic and render my success chance negligible, and two, forging all the equipment and summoning all the troops I needed was taking FOREVER because of all the extra precautions I needed to take due to Astral Corruption. A bunch of key tasks could only be safely performed by a single mage, who could only cast every other turn because I kept getting forced to cast Returning and then trek out to another province so I could cast it again. By the time I was finally nearing completion on all of this, Jotunheim had whipped up who knows how many hundreds of Devils, who benefited from Darkness, were immune to fire, and who obviously wouldn't be affected by Control the Dead. I had a couple of side plans, but I don't think my odds of winning the upcoming battle were very high even with Demon Cleansing up, especially given how disastrous all the previous ones were.

In the end it was the combination of Darkness and Claws of Kokytos that got me. No troop type that I could mass could match either Vampires or Devils under Darkness. I couldn't just send in over a dozen darksight Ember Lords in to hack them apart because no matter how many I had they could all be trivially banished inside of two rounds due to the irresistible Claws of Kokytos cast by recruit-anywhere mages. The bulk of my own mages, in addition to not being able to hit the broad side of a barn under darkness, were one-trick ponies whose fire magic and MR-negates astral magic were easily countered (Jotunheim never even needed to bother casting Warriors of Muspelheim, which I know he could have on at least one summoned demon). For all my advantages in gold and gems, there didn't seem to be anything I could spend them on to solve those two key problems. I spent most of the latter half of the game searching for some magic bullet that would hopefully negate my biggest current problem (Warriors of Niefelheim for frost evocations, Storm and extra fire magic for vampire suicide waves, elaborate Control the Dead shenanigans for a committed battle against vampires, etc.), but by the time one was prepared Jotunheim had always come up with something worse, all while his territory and blood economy kept growing due to gains from weaker nations. I needed a shift in momentum to get anything done and every attempt to turn things around failed.

My only real regret is that I was curious as to how much damage a dozen or so Rocs could do. They seemed like the most useful air-gem sink I had (it was going to be Draconians until I remembered oops they're cold-blooded) and I had no shortage of them due to having used Gale Gate to prevent the recast of Burden of Time, and I kept trying to decide what they could best be used on. I was thinking about either doing a sickening amount of raiding (map move 5!) or sending them to battle, having them fly through the storm and all spam Shockwave in hopes of thinning out the enemy lines. I doubt either would have really saved the day, since they couldn't beat a blood hunter (the only kind of raiding that would have really mattered) and the defense penalty on Darkness would have probably gotten them swarmed and eaten before they could cast many spells, but it would have been interesting to see nonetheless (if only there had been a summonable, flying, air-immune troop more cost-effective than worthless Spring Hawks to serve as bodyguards for them the kamikaze wave idea might have worked, but I lost all my royalty-summoned air elementals when they proved unable to retreat from my last disaster).
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM

Colonel

While I plan to react with a bigger post than this, I want to clear one thing up. Returning also works when you are in your cap province.