.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default #195 Bringers of Punishment

A most engrossing scenario. As the Izzies you get to test your air-plotting skills by taking out Syrian SAMs and radar flak with jets to make it safe for helo-borne paras to assault the town of Nawa, which has 10,000 points worth of ammo dumps up for grabs.

So after a furious air bombardment the flyboys destroyed practically all air defense assets by turn 8 (of 40), along with a handful of T-62's and BMP's. Unfortunately this came at the cost of a UAV and 2 jets worth 600 points . BTW switching from one pre-positioned FO to another outside Nawa while micro-managing the entry and exit hexes for each jet was quite useful, maximizing proper target acquisition and minimizing exposure to SAM's or AAMG's.

Then came the tricky part, navigating troop-carrying helos as close to the town as possible. Fortunately none were lost as the para groups landed to attack Nawa from 3 directions.

As backup there were attack helos with chain guns, Hydras and Hellfires to deal mostly with APC's and tanks, along with light attackers with MG's for infantry. They were absolutely essential in providing the paras with close firepower support (sorta like flying tanks yet much more vulnerable).

It was quite instructive to see how helos could fly furtively around the town's perimeter--even following infantry along streets as the battle progressed--to deal with stubborn defenders. The jets had done their work well; only enemy small arms and some inaccurate wheeled or tracked AAMG's contested the skies above town.

By turn 20 the Izzies had destroyed all 20 ammo dumps (plus the enemy AO) and seized all objectives. Unfortunately most helos had run out of ammo while the paras had taken fairly heavy casualties. One objective was now undefended and a couple others looked in extremis. Enemy counterattacks were looming and there were no infantry reserves. So it was most fortunate that the battle ended at that point, before weaknesses became fatal.

Final score was 19440:1424. Those ammo dumps--besides providing the Izzies with 10,000 battle points--gave nearly 4,000 more for arty overload, although it would've been a DV without them. Thank you Mr. Lundstrom!

Last edited by jivemi; January 16th, 2014 at 10:17 PM..
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: #195 Bringers of Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemi View Post
A most engrossing scenario. Final score was 19440:1424. Those ammo dumps--besides providing the Izzies with 10,000 battle points--gave nearly 4,000 more for arty overload, although it would've been a DV without them. Thank you Mr. Lundstrom!
You meant this post as an AAR, right?
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: #195 Bringers of Punishment

Well, yes and no. There isn't enough detail for an AAR--at least compared to others I've read--and maybe too much for a feedback. Basically wanted to say how enjoyable, challenging and instructive it was for me without spoiling the scenario for anyone else (advice to first wipe out air defenses were given in the scenario notes).

Sorry if I tooted my horn too much, although some readers might wanna know how it turned out. Anyway the powers that be may move this if they see fit. Thanks.

Last edited by jivemi; January 16th, 2014 at 10:33 PM..