.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Placeholder for new Megagame - Evermore

I tried to keep the "number of provinces per player" pretty much the same for water players and land players (within the bounds of my terrible math abilities). Of course there is the argument that some of the water players can come onto land, but some of the land players tend to grab some water also (undead users for example) so I figure it tends to even out fairly.

As for BattleSkill vs MicroManagment I always thought that the small-map blitzes were where the BS players automatically excelled and the big maps were the MM players time to shine
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hadrian_II said:
Would not be 140 out of 1000 a bit much water provinces, as in perpetuality the water nations are doing much better than the land ones.
There are 157 water provinces in Perp, so I'm looking for less. at 1000 provinces thats 16.1 provinces per player, so for water nations that equates to 17.5. provinces per water player. This will probably be lower as most maps have small lakes. I'd be fine with anything in the 125-140 range though.
140 is the max.
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Xietor said:
I would prefer to see gem producing items banned in the next game. Any idiot can sit in the water and make clams. What skill is there in that?
This will not happen. Clams have a tradeoff as you are giving up resources that could be used immediately to conquer more provinces which could in turn give you more gems. With clams you are just doing another, safer, investment - but putting yourself in a weaker initial position by sacrificing gems.

The problem in these larger games is that the clams/hording is too good of an investment as you know the game will go on long enough for it to pay out nicely. Hence we will try tweaking the base cost so the payout is farther away. It might not be enough, but we'll see.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Would "scattered water" be considered an advantage to the water nations? Or a drawback? It would make expansion much harder. And make it harder for one wter nation to quickly own up all of the water.

Or would be it better to group the water? Three lakes? or even just one ocean?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Colonel

I'm fine with there being some random "lakes" but I would like at least 75% all of the water provinces to belong to larger bodies of water and those larger bodies connected. I think this will encourage water nations to fight amongst each other but the winner will be more secure.

I'm inclined to have multiple "linked" oceans so there are choke points, but if the mapped looked good enough I would go with one large ocean. In the same vein I'd like "continents" of large land masses for land choke points.

Check out some of my other (non-wrap around) maps for examples of what I'm looking for:

http://67.66.187.69/dominions3/afterthoughtsmall.jpg
http://67.66.187.69/dominions3/discordancesmall.jpg
http://67.66.187.69/dominions3/perpetualitysmall.jpg

Except for a few minor errors - I really like (if I do say so myself ) the perpetuality map - so somthing like that, but wrap around would be great.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Perhaps a left-right wraparound, like a tube. Polar seas in the north and in the south. Continents in the middle with some crossing points.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
Perhaps a left-right wraparound, like a tube. Polar seas in the north and in the south. Continents in the middle with some crossing points.
I'd be willing to consider that, sure... though it doesn't completely fix the perceived problem of players on the edges having an advantage.

It does help address the biggest hesitation I have for complete wrap arounds - which is the difficulty players will have in planning moves around the visual edges. Imagine if your nation starts in the exact corner of the visual map with a complete (up/down left/right) wrap around map? Blah, it would be a total scroll mess. It suddenly becomes disadvantageous to start on the corners/edges.
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

If the map is flagged right then the player will never notice he is on the edge. The game tiles the map and provides endless scrolling. As far as players are concerned, they all will think they "started in the middle" of the map
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
If the map is flagged right then the player will never notice he is on the edge. The game tiles the map and provides endless scrolling. As far as players are concerned, they all will think they "started in the middle" of the map
Oh well then, sounds much better now
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Yeah, what Gandalf said is correct. You can't even see the edges.

Jazzepi