.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 9th, 2010, 12:03 AM

Sergeant

Atreidi is on a distinguished road
Default Mod that disables all recruitable units - All Commander/Summons/PD Mod...

Has this been done?
If so were can I get it?
If not who's going to make it?

I think I did not explain correctly in the title. What I mean is for the mod to allow you to recruit only commanders from your provinces not units.

Last edited by Atreidi; April 9th, 2010 at 11:43 AM..
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:20 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mod that disables all recruitable units - All Commander/Summons/PD Mod...

Why would you want it?
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:21 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod that disables all recruitable units - All Commander/Summons/PD Mod...

It's easy to do, but yeah, why would you want it? Just use a house rule, it's quicker.
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

There are maps that remove all recruitables from every province. Telling a province that it has no recruitables is easier to do in map commands than modding. If you mod to remove the units its alot more work, and there are overlaps with some nations recruitables.

You could wipe out all nations PD in a mod by listing each nation and using the command to set a nations PD units to zero.

Summons might be trickier.

I also wonder why.
Hmmmm.... it would create a game of "dominions" which is much more like other war strategy games. Possibly as a challenge to strategists Or as a stepping stone for new players to learn the game. It would limit the game to fort-created armies marching against each other. Formations, strategies, etc without some of the unique overhead of the game.

You might want to look into some of the "chess game" mods. They tend to remove the nations, fill the empty nation slots (73-95?) with matching nations of fairly capable units. If you added one of Kristoffers research limiting mods (he made one to limit to level 4 and one for level 6). And then went with a No-Independents modified map. Would that get you close to what you want?
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Sergeant

Atreidi is on a distinguished road

I think I did not explain correctly. What I mean is for the mod to allow you to recruit only commanders from your provinces. That way the game would be all about PD/Commanders/Summons. That would be interesting to play.
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Someone a while back expressed an interest in something similar (a game of all thugs.) I don't seem to find it by searching, though.

You wouldn't be able to do what you want, I think, with the indy provinces. You can't modify the poptypes (but you can set all the poptypes to be no recruitables, or you can modify the gold/resource costs of the non-commander units to be uneconomical as per Edi's better independents mod.)

If you're looking for MP, though, I'd say it would be a heck of a lot easier to do as Sombre initially suggested and just use an agreed upon house rule (don't ever recruit any non-commanders.)
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You mean all province commanders and no nation-specific units?
Ive done that. Its not many lines of mod to turn on the empty nation slots as playable nations, but not give them anything other than a name and maybe a color (so they show up different from each other in the score graphs).

Take a look at my MegaVanilla Mod
http://www.dom3minions.com/mods.htm
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Ugh. No.

Isn't it obvious what this guy wants? (answer: yes, but you want to go on about turning on unused nation slots for whatever reason, so you're pretending to get the wrong end of the stick)

He wants all recruitable UNITS (not commanders) to be no longer recruitable. Whether indy or national or whatever. Just summons, commanders and pretenders. The national side of it is easily done with mod commands, though it would be a little bit frigging tedious writing the dm, frankly. The indy side of it - we can't modify poptypes, so you'd have to make all the troops unbuildable with high resource costs, also by mod.

More importantly, having a mod to to this is completely pointless. Just use a house rule in a MP game. It isn't like the mod would work in SP - the AI couldn't even vaguely cope with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sombre For This Useful Post:
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Wishlist:

Its possible to have units that create gems. It would be nice if it were possible to have a negative number.

If there are no gems of that type in the treausry, the commander would desert. Useful for vampire lords perhaps, or magical creatures that are strong.. but eat gems...
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Ahhh venomous correctness.

It would be difficult to create a commanders-only game.
Altho there is an interesting side-effect that the OP might not be aware of. That the game is willing to consider any unit to be a commander.

Possibly, look at the All_Units.map which displays every unit in the game, as a commander. Its purpose was to make it easier to look thru everything in the game even if you dont know where it comes from.

Maybe it would be possible to kill off all recruiting then. Can you come up with a plan for creating a game that pre-assigns commanders to each side?

That brings two possible game formats to mind. A chessboard version with each side having matching pieces of specialized abilities. Or (more my style) a game where each gets a random collection to have to work with.