BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old February 19th, 2019, 06:30 PM

Private

The_Think_Tanker is on a distinguished road
Default Adjusting Vision

Hi! I am trying to see if it is possible to adjust vision increments below the 10 Rating, since I am interested in tweaking early Cold War units that, while not having things like Thermals or Low-Visibility sights, did have variations in tank visibility which would provide some impact all the same in these low-visibility environments. Is this at all possible, or can we only change vision by increments of 10?

Additionally, is there any way I can make it so that units will only respond and take a reaction shot to units in within their LoS? I find it a bit odd that if you have some infantry approach an enemy AFV from the rear and previously undetected, the tank can turn its entire turret around and get the shot off first. Any and all assistance with these two inquiries would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:28 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adjusting Vision

It should be possible. There's a USMC HQ with the vision of 5.

troopie
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:32 PM

Private

The_Think_Tanker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by troopie View Post
It should be possible. There's a USMC HQ with the vision of 5.

troopie
I tried messing around with Shermans at 6 vision but it appears in my save that there is no change in visibility whatsoever (though I am using the same save, do these effects not take place until a new game is launched? Even if I put the Shermans at the same visibility rating as the M48s, which is 10, they cannot see any further in my current skirmish where the Visibility is 1, I think).

I am not sure if there is something I am doing wrong, but I am up to any and all feedback / assistance!
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:56 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Think_Tanker View Post
I tried messing around with Shermans at 6 vision but it appears in my save that there is no change in visibility whatsoever (though I am using the same save, do these effects not take place until a new game is launched? Even if I put the Shermans at the same visibility rating as the M48s, which is 10, they cannot see any further in my current skirmish where the Visibility is 1, I think).

I am not sure if there is something I am doing wrong, but I am up to any and all feedback / assistance!

If you change the Vision rating in Mobhack you will need to restart the game for it to have an effect. An already started game / scenario, however, will keep the units as they were when saved, I believe.

A unit can have any vision number if the battle visibility is set to lower than this number the unit can see out to its vision number. numbers above 30 can see through smoke as they are assumed to be IR.

As for question 2 - units will ONLY reaction shot against targets in their LOS... Everyone can see in a 360 degree arc...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:23 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

From my experience approaching an AFV from the rear with infantry does have a slightly better chance of being undetected than a frontal assault though cannot swear as there are so many variables. Still needs a bit of suppression so the tanks buttoned up or possibly low experience crew to pull off.
Old February 20th, 2019, 08:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

If it's not buttoned it's assumed at any time someone in the crew has vision around the tank not restricted by vision slits, periscopes etc etc so the chance of spotting infantry closing in is higher

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old February 20th, 2019, 08:24 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

The vision rating in WinSPMBT is primarily night vision (at 40+ it includes thermal imaging thus can see thru smoke/dust).

If the scenario visibility is set higher then the vision rating the vision rating has no effect on what can be seen (with the exception of thermal thru smoke/dust).

If the scenario visibility is set lower then the vision rating then the unit uses the rating as the number of hexes it can see.

So setting a tanks vision to 6 if the scenario visibility is 6+ has zero effect. A vision rating doesn't restrict vision.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 21st, 2019, 06:58 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

It’s not just thermal that aids seeing through hindrance hexes any vision aid helps just to a lesser extent, not like TI it just increases the amount of hindrance it can see through so might see through an extra hindrance hex or 2.
Not common but there are the odd occasions when you can take advantage of this to fire at a unit that cannot see you.
Probably only one or 2 shots then the dust you created will block the LOS.