BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Conquest of Elysium II

Old February 11th, 2012, 05:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gameplay video found :)

Jack Trowell:

Well, if you can build the events stuff to be point and click to set the target squares, target players etc, then yes, I actually see a lot of utility for it. However, you are going to have your work cut out for you to do the stuff. Not that it's all that complex to do from a programming point of view, just a bloody lot of work.

You are also going to need a list of monster names and list of item names or all the commands related to those will be useless, since the game only accepts names for both, not numbers.

However, while I am in possession of both (item list not necessarily being complete, though), I will need to discuss some things with Illwinter before releasing anything of the kind. There are considerations involved that prevent doing that kind of thing without consultation.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar_DK View Post
Maybe a little ot, but seeing his videos has raisen my 'I want this game now'. He does a good job of showing what the game is even though he is a beginner.

But is it possible to select another color than red for the player? I'm red/green color blind and have a hard time seeing red on anything else but white.
Yes, yes it is.

Red
Blue
Green
Yellow
Purple
Teal
Brown
White

That's the color order and players always appear in that order. If you want to cut out certain colors, just add as many players as you like, then delete the undesired colors from in between. That bit is actually also mentioned in the manual.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:25 AM

Private

Cougar_DK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar_DK View Post
Maybe a little ot, but seeing his videos has raisen my 'I want this game now'. He does a good job of showing what the game is even though he is a beginner.

But is it possible to select another color than red for the player? I'm red/green color blind and have a hard time seeing red on anything else but white.
.... That bit is actually also mentioned in the manual.
Thanks Edi.

I don't have acces to the manual....yet
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Jack Trowell:

Well, if you can build the events stuff to be point and click to set the target squares, target players etc, then yes, I actually see a lot of utility for it. However, you are going to have your work cut out for you to do the stuff. Not that it's all that complex to do from a programming point of view, just a bloody lot of work.

Working on web interfaces like that is a major part of what I do for a living, and yes I know there can be some very boring moments (and no, my dom3 editor is not what I would call my best work, I know that I could do much better).

Quote:
You are also going to need a list of monster names and list of item names or all the commands related to those will be useless, since the game only accepts names for both, not numbers.

It's strange, I was expecting illwinter to make more use of unique ids, not less, but I can see where the problem might arise when adding modding support to the game.

I must say that in order to implement the most complete features for such an editor, I'm more or less counting on something like your very useful Dom3 DB.

Quote:
However, while I am in possession of both (item list not necessarily being complete, though), I will need to discuss some things with Illwinter before releasing anything of the kind. There are considerations involved that prevent doing that kind of thing without consultation.
Note that for a first prototype, the full list wouldn't be needed, just a few exemples of the global structure/flags or the like. If the structure is good, expanding the data later should not pose any problem.

However with the release being in less than 10 days now, don't lose more time for me, there will still be enough time after the release.
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM

Best if you wait for the full release then, because the map editor guide is going to be almost a pseudocodde programming template for you. You could construct a prototype based on just a few examples, but without the full set it would just be wasted work.

The trigger conditions all have different parameters and then you tack the event codes after them, with each event code having its own parameters. If you code a few examples, you would need to rethink the lot when you get the whole set. You'll get a better result from the complete list because you only need to think it through once, then do the whole shebang in one go.

Trust me, I've done enough documentation to be able to recognize that, seeing as how doing things on the fly necessitated a complete restructuring of the game manual once and lesser restructuring modifications at least twice, the last of which was last night. Retrofitting massive structural changes into a complete document (or in your case, program code) is a massive pain the backside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

More video by the same guy
Burgmeister this time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsS1Y3Io6a4
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point

Do neutral wizards(like the ones who appear for hire as random events) have any ritual spells or summons?
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:10 AM

No, just combat magic.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Altho hires can come with equipment. And some equipment can have summons.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM

And some of the equipment can be worth twice or three times what you paid for the wizard, depending how useful it is for your other units...