.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 10th, 2011, 03:00 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ANDalusian Sun: Anonymous LA Game for experienced players. (Submit Pretenders)

Dimaz has asked me to post in the thread, as I mentioned to him that restarting might be an option.

As it's only turn 5, and since there's no guarantee a sub is going to be found, it might just be easier to cut our loses now, and restart with 13 players to have a 'clean' game (free of subs and broken rules), rather than wait an unknown amount of time for a sub to turn up.(As we certainly can't continue with an AI nation.)

I reckon I can re-do the map for 13 starts this evening in less than an hour, and there's a fair chance we could be back to turn 5 by Wednesday's turn deadline, resulting in no real time being lost.

(probably best to post replies to Dimaz rather than thread, as we don't want any more rules broken or ID's compromised)

Edit - I might just re-do the map anyway, since I have a bit of free time right now.

Edit 2 - Just realised we need a good sub as well Since given the player line-up, the high chance of a newb being unsure of the nation he'd inherit, and the unfamiliar plan of his predecessor, a newb would likely be just as unbalancing as staling or AI. Why can't players spend just 5 minutes to read the rules

Edit 3 - Ok, map is re-done for 12+1 if needed. Quite a nice fix actually, as a few of the poorer starts managed to get a bit of love in the process

Last edited by Calahan; April 10th, 2011 at 03:29 PM..
Old April 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ANDalusian Sun: Anonymous LA Game for experienced players. (Submit Pretenders)

So far we have 3 votes for restart and 0 for continuing.
Old April 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM

BANNED USER

Here's the map for the restart (if it happens).

Everyone will need to download the image file again, as I've made a few changes to it. (mainly I did something I should have done before, which is to make sure nobody starts on a Forest, as that can trigger the nasty Ancient Presence event)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Andalusian Sun (the restart).zip (1.10 MB, 433 views)
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:30 AM

First Lieutenant

I received 2 more votes for restart and 1 for setting offender to AI. Looks like we're heading for restart. I've received the following instruction about restart - (quickest way would be roll back all the turns until the start, un-start the game, change maps, and click start. Rather than creating a new game and waiting for Pretender uploads). Is it correct? If yes, I'll do it in a few hours.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:01 AM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaz View Post
I've received the following instruction about restart - (quickest way would be roll back all the turns until the start, un-start the game, change maps, and click start. Rather than creating a new game and waiting for Pretender uploads). Is it correct? If yes, I'll do it in a few hours.
I think that's the best way, but then I would think that seeing as how I wrote it

I've just set up a new game on the llamaserver to test that theory out though. As it is just a theory based on what I know of how the llamaserver works from all the games I've admined. But restarting a game on turn 5 is not something that I've actually done before though.

The game is called RestartTest, and I'll host turns until turn 5 is reached, then see if I can roll the game back to turn 1 and un-start it. (will post results when it's done)

Edit - Test game is up to turn 5, so I am rolling back now.

Quote:
and 1 for setting offender to AI.
Must say I'm a bit concerned that someone thinks that the AI appearing on turn 5 in a vet game is the best option? As that's by far the worst IMO, and likely ruins the game on the spot.

Last edited by Calahan; April 11th, 2011 at 02:23 AM..
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:40 AM

BANNED USER

Ok, the test went as follows...

I submitted turns in the test game until turn 5 was reached, then rolled the game back to turn 1 and un-started it. The result of which was the game reappeared in the "Games Waiting For Pretenders" area of the llamaserver, where it needed to be I then tested removing Pretenders, changing maps and mods (all seemed ok). After this I then restarted the game and played the first turn of all three nations. (which is where that game is now). Again this went nice and smoothly and to plan. Here's the game logs

http://www.llamaserver.net/doAdminAc...n=showadminlog

06:26 GMT on Monday April 11th Rolled game back to turn 4.
06:37 GMT on Monday April 11th Rolled game back to turn 3.
06:42 GMT on Monday April 11th Rolled game back to turn 2.
06:54 GMT on Monday April 11th Rolled game back to turn 1.
06:57 GMT on Monday April 11th Returned game to the "Waiting for pretenders" state.

But.... (sadly there's always a 'but' )

I did notice that the admin option to "Un-start game (go back to "Waiting for Pretenders" was available on turn 5. Which wasn't what I expected to see. And a new game (TrojanHorses) that I started yesterday as admin also has the option available on turn 2. So the option to Un-start a game appears to be time based and not turn based as I originally thought. Whether or not it's only time based though I have no idea right now (as the option could appear on turn 1 or within X hours of the game starting).

Llamabeast would likely know the answer to whether the Un-start option is time based or turn+time based. But right now I'm a big question mark on the matter? As the option to Un-start might appear if the game is rolled back to turn 1, but then again it might not.

Of course the other way to restart is just to create a new game and get everyone to send Pretenders again. Although if the game is restarting for definite one way or the other, then there's probably no harm in trying to roll the current game back to turn 1 and see if the Un-start option appears. (as then the worst case scenario is the Un-start option doesn't appear, and the game has to be deleted. But that would happen anyway if a new game is created.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post:
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:06 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Um... hard to follow all the words, but I think the "Un-start game" option is available until turn 6.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:06 AM

First Lieutenant

OK, looks like I've managed to do this procedure of rollbacks and restart and the game is waiting for first turn from everyone. Hope nothing went wrong except for restart itself. But if you have any problems with new turn, please write me ASAP. Also I recommend completely deleting game folder from savegames and creating new one, just in case.
Also, I think some of the players are interested who caused all the mess. Well, I regret to inform you that it was Ossa playing Caelum, the same person who did the same thing (sending NAP proposal) in another RAND game YARG1. So I hope you understand that I had no other choice but to remove him from the game. Also I recommend taking special measures next time you see he tries to join a game with game-specific rules (as he's clearly not paying enough attention to them).
Good luck everyone, and let the most skillful win (again!)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dimaz For This Useful Post:
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:11 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the smooth admining Dimaz.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:15 AM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
Um... hard to follow all the words, but I think the "Un-start game" option is available until turn 6.
I didn't even think to check if the Un-start option was there on turn 5, as I assumed it was only there on turn 1. But having just found this game on turn 7.

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo....ies_and_Sharks

I can indeed see that the Un-start option is there So the rollbacks themselves probably weren't needed. Oh well, another llamasever lesson for my experience log.

----------
Quote:
OK, looks like I've managed to do this procedure of rollbacks and restart and the game is waiting for first turn from everyone. Hope nothing went wrong except for restart itself. But if you have any problems with new turn, please write me ASAP. Also I recommend completely deleting game folder from savegames and creating new one, just in case.
Judging from the VP's, all the start locations seem to match the revised map.

Quote:
Also, I think some of the players are interested who caused all the mess. Well, I regret to inform you that it was Ossa playing Caelum, the same person who did the same thing (sending NAP proposal) in another RAND game YARG1. So I hope you understand that I had no other choice but to remove him from the game. Also I recommend taking special measures next time you see he tries to join a game with game-specific rules (as he's clearly not paying enough attention to them).
Good luck everyone, and let the most skillful win (again!)
No way, it can't be Ossa again. How can someone get booted out of a game for making the exact same mistake you got booted out for last time. It boggles the mind how anyone can have no capability to learn from past mistakes.

But there's always room on my blacklist for more names (as I did give him the benefit of the doubt in YARG1, but no chance of that here)

Thanks for sorting the restart out Dimaz. And one good thing about it is that at least the re-start gives us all a few more days of playing before Dr.P engulfs us all with his army of nightmares.

Last edited by Calahan; April 11th, 2011 at 05:33 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post: