DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: windows 10 issue

Think I may have something......standby
Old August 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts

No Joy for that but from that failed experiment I suspect the OS "thinks" there is a wider border than there is showing.Changing RegEdit does not help in fact it skews the game screen but I could make the game window quite a bit smaller but not larger.

Don
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:09 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

It finally arrived - loaded it on my windows 7 laptop, frankly because I don't like 7 (prefer 8, would really like it if there was a classic XP look and feel of course!). And since its the secondary machine, if the 10 install made it a toaster, it would be useful to put a linux distro on (and it may get that eventually).

!0 does not seem much faster than 7, this cheap Dell only has a dual core and I'd hoped for a bit more speed. Applications still take an age to load from initial click - but then run OK. Thats probably down to the measly 3MB of RAM on it.

The upgrade kept all my applications, So I could go straight back to firefox - tried the £edge£ browser, and that did not impress me much. It seems to be set up to not take cookies from reputable sites. So go to BBC news page, get nag about cookies, go elsewhere, return - and nagged again for the BBC news cookie. So I'll stick to Firefox.

I had a test install of WW2, which was in full-screen mode. That launched happily. I then alt-tabbed out of it and back, and it had resized to a weird vertical letterbox size. And the font was nuked as well. Which is what it did in 7 with the installed drivers, so no change. Alt-tab and killed that.

Then used the gameoptions launcher to set to windowed mode at desktop resolution and hit start. Game options cloeed and Nothing happened. Brought up task manager, no sign of the task. I tried a few things like running the programme directly, still no start. Eventually I restarted the laptop - and then it launched happily from gameoptions as if nothing had happened. Maybe W10 keeps a "naughty boys" list of things you killed off?. Weird.

Absolutely no hiccups scrolling round the map, or when moving units about. In fact, it may be a wee bit faster than under 7, so I may increase the unit move delay.

MBT on the same machine in windowed mode also worked flawlessly.

The game borders fit right to the cheapo 1366 wide screen on the laptop, no desktop pixels left uncovered.

Windows 10 is really a warmed-over version of 8.1. Those like me that prefer an XP type classic start menu will of course download a start menu replacement - start8 or similar. Then you have a proper hierarchical program files list, and no more kindergarten tile stuff. (I replaced Microsoft's one within 10 minutes of downloading !).
Old August 12th, 2015, 07:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

apparenty there is a "Start10" in the works

http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=461876

I haven't tried this but it does seem better than the stock version in win 10

Screenshots:
http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/images/ss_win7default.jpg
http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/images/ss_win10.jpg
http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/images/ss_win7modern.jpg
Old May 14th, 2016, 10:14 AM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
QUESTION FOR ANYONE RUNNING THE GAME IN WINDOWED/ DESKTOP MODE WITH WIN 10

Does the game fill your screen completly or is it a bit narrow ?

Don
In windowed/Desktop mode WW2 runs with a very small border above and left and right on my machine (see: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...48255&page=40; for specs). Below you see the start bar.
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecruitMonty View Post

In windowed/Desktop mode WW2 runs with a very small border above and left and right on my machine (see: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...48255&page=40; for specs). Below you see the start bar.

I was referring to the left and right edges

I belive the window borders were a bit wider before win10 and the game window didn't show the edges of the underlying windows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	414
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	14280  
Old May 14th, 2016, 12:46 PM

There will also be a small border on the 1366(?) screens common to laptops since the mode they use does not divide by 4 pixels (or whichever it is that the graphics library requires to work properly). Its a special kludge I had to put in to handle that resolution. I had to make it subtract 2 IIRC pixels, or it went haywire.
Old May 14th, 2016, 01:16 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

I have noticed that on my machine the game (MBT and WW2) also pauses briefly when scrolling in full screen mode. My scroll speed is 16 and my graphics settings are high. It moves then stops and then moves a bit more etc.

In windowed mode things run smoother (scrolling is perfect) but it still stops and starts sometimes when a unit opens fire or when I right click on something for info. I noticed this happens especially after an air attack or if the game was idle for a few seconds.

I use the direct X settings. The same thing happens under GDI. If I decrease graphic's quality it doesn't change much. I did notice the fans running a little when the action started again after a pause though.

My misc settings for graphics delay and movement delay are: 25 and 18 respectively. I had Edge running in the background - idle - and the parent folder for the game open. I've switched off quite a few of the unnecessary bells and whistles (one note etc) as well as implementing most of the suggestions in this thread.

My specs are:

Intel i7-6700HQ processor

Win 10 64 Bit

Geforce GTX 96 5M Video card

Direct X 12.0

1920x1080 is my Screen Resolution

The machine is new and well equipped in comparison to what I had before (I've got 8 GB of RAM for instance).

The game itself looks and sounds great. I just don't know what to do about the occ. stuttering.
Old May 14th, 2016, 01:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I do not get any stuttering in windowed mode , I rarely use fullscreen mode...actually the ONLY time I use it when someone has an issue. I have not noticed any stopping /stopping on windowed mode on my machine while a unit is moving

Here are my specs

Operating System -Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU - Intel Core i3 2130 @ 3.40GHz 40 °C Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM - 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard -Acer Aspire XC600 (SOCKET 0) 28 °C

Graphics / Screen Resolution - S22C300 (1920x1080@59Hz) Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])

Storage - 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA) 44 °C

Optical Drives - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH82N

Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

I have my game scroll speed set to 30
Graphics delay set to 40
unit move delay set to 50

We provide full screen mode but we are done SUPPORTING it. We Have recommeded players use windowed mode since we converted to windows and will continue to do so. We have said for well over a decade that IF the game works in at least one of the modes then it works , we make no claim that it will work in both.....if it does.......bonus but windowed mode is THE mode both games are devloped in and I would HAPPILY pull fullscreen mode right out

If your game does not work in windowed mode we will look into it.....fullscreen mode is dead to us. If you get it to work, great if not then why screw around with it when windowed mode works ?

Don

Last edited by DRG; May 14th, 2016 at 02:17 PM..
Old May 14th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Full screen mode is a proper 256 colour rendering using the palette. That used to be the fastest mode, back in the MSDOS and early windows era.

Windowed mode converts to the colour mode as used by windows. That used to be slower, but no longer is. Neither is GDI mode any slower, since Microsoft sped GDI mode up by using hardware rendering.

GDI mode was really only a hangover for Linux users as I recall, some Linux windows emulators did not handle Directx way back when.

In Windows now, its actually faster to use windowed mode nowadays since the drivers and cards are optimised for it. It is faster to use windowed mode as well since nowadays modern cards now seem to do a pixel by pixel software backwards-compatibility mode conversion that does not utilise their speed, and so 256 colour mode has lost the direct to video hardware speed it once had, and why you get "stuttering" if you use full-screen mode. Additionally, since Microsoft assumes that nobody is using the 256 colour palette, since it is obsolete, windows uses it without any checking for applications relying on it. That is seem most in Windows 7 "Aero" - and why we had to put in a kludge script to kill the Explorer desktop for windows 7 full screen, but 8 and later can do this, as well as simply task switching to the desktop - result is a psychedelic screen on re-entering the programme.

The mode is only there as a carry-over from the old DOS days, back when you had to load special mouse drivers and so on.

Use at your own risk. It is not supported any more, and it probably should have been deleted as an option a long time ago. About the only people it may be of use for are probably long-term free game users who still have a video card that supports full screen 800x600 (Many modern cards just wont go below 1024x768).

Some users liked the mode so they could set a resolution lower than the current desktop, to ease eye strain. But the way round this in windowed mode is to right click on the desktop and select a lower resolution (one that does not stretch the graphics) and then start the game in windowed, desktop resolution. Then right click on the desktop and select the regular size once done playing.

So I for one would be quite happy to kill "full screen" mode completely. Full-screen mode is dead, defunct, it has ceased to be, its pushing up the daisies, if it wasn't nailed to the perch it would have fallen over, it is an ex-parrot. It is only there for those of you still pining for the old DOS fiords...