The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 13th, 2003, 05:34 AM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the "King of the Hill"?

Well, what I had in mind was something a lot more simple then any kind of point calculation. The ladder in it's simplest form is as I stated below: you move up the ladder by beating people above you on the ladder. Losing to someone below you on the ladder does not affect your ranking, unless you lose to the person immedietly below you on the ladder. In that case you swap places so you only move down one spot.

How you move down that ladder is by being displaced by people beating others above you in the ranking and "leap frogging" over you. Or by being idle. Players that are idle for extended periods (No reports of winss or losses) get bumped down for inactivity. In most ladders that is within a few days. For an SEIV ladder that would need to be longer obviously.

I was not thinking of getting rid of two man games. What I was trying to come up with is a league that would permit 2 player or larger games, and allow for one ranking. This way everybody should be happy.

Those that play more would be more active on the ladder and might be higher on the ladder if they win, but I don't see that as a problem. And you can't move up unless you win anyway.

Most ladders are for 2 player games, but this could work for multiple player games by a couple modifications. These ideas were used in a Civ2 ladder and they seem to work well. In a game with more than two players, as a person is knocked out of the game they would report a loss to each player still alive in the game. So for a twenty player game if you ended up being in the middle of the pack you'd have something like ten wins and ten losses. Your eventual place in the ladder would depend on your ranking and the ranking of the other players involved at he time each loss is reported. This would occur each time someone left the game. So actually a player in a big game wouldn't neccesarily be any less active then those playing 2 man games, since people would be getting knocked out all during the game. You don't wait till the end to report losses, they get done right away.

You could have team games. In a team game each member of each team would report a loss to each member of the other teams.

Also you might think since you can't move up by beating players below you there is no incentive to play them. But this isn't correct. Keep in mind you don't report till the end, and the other person could be ahead of you by the time the game ends. Also you have to be active to keep your ranking. You have to play someone.

Getting someone else to help with the league does not fix the problem of being tedious. It just means someone else has to deal with it. It's not a long term solution. Automating the league is a long term solution. Myleauge.com isn't the only way to automate it to be sure, but it's one way. THe main concern I could see is taht you have to register with their site and you might get some more spam. Does anyone think that would be a big enough problem that they would not want to be part of it?

Geoschmo
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Sergeant

Cheeze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone Mill:
And do not think Gecko will fall for your ploy... If your drones do not hit... You will use the "Poison his people with high sodium, fat, and cholesterol" Intel Project!
Actually, I was thinking more of a "Afflict the population with massive tooth decay" Intel Project. That should not only reduce their fighting abilities, but also drive them straight into Unhappiness and Anger...along with outright Melancholy. They might even become Lugubrious.

How about King Haku?

Where's the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering ka-boom!
Old March 13th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Captain

Asmala is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Slynky:
I always liked those statistics and rankings.
I like also much those statistics, too bad they need so much work.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slynky:
Not that I presume to know what the PBW crowd wants, but if I had to take a guess a what a lot of people might like, it's a way to see where they rate against a lot of other players. Bragging rights (or else crawl in a hole from embarrassment... )
I don't know what others think but at least I think exactly the way you guessed.

I think KOTH should be stay in two player games, this is the only place I have played two player games and I have liked them much. If someone doesn't like two player games he can participate other tournaments or games.
Old March 13th, 2003, 12:52 PM

First Lieutenant

Nodachi is on a distinguished road

First off, I agree with DavidG almost completely (I still love multiplayer games too ).

Geo, I can see where this can be tedious for you since you have to set up the games (especially with jerks like me wanting special settings each time) and keep track of wins and losses. Would the new set-up allow players to create games for themselves and just register it as an official game? It seems to me that the more this can be automated the better because you already give so much of your time and effort to this community.
Old March 13th, 2003, 01:10 PM

First Lieutenant

Stone Mill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheeze:
Actually, I was thinking more of a "Afflict the population with massive tooth decay" Intel Project. That should not only reduce their fighting abilities, but also drive them straight into Unhappiness and Anger...along with outright Melancholy. They might even become .

How about King Haku?
Sir, you are obviously baiting me. Don't be so smug as to think I am not on to you.

Lugubrious, what my sista got to do wit dis?

And no, King Haku will not be allowed either. Although getting +50 kamakaze (head butt) would not hurt.

[ March 13, 2003, 11:11: Message edited by: Stone Mill ]
Old March 13th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Ok, here's what I am gonna do. KOTH is gonna stay KOTH. Although I want to try and get someone that can do me some programming. I have some ideas that I don't think will be too complicated, but what do I know. But I like the ladder idea enough that I am gonna set it up as well. We'll have two leagues. If you want you can be in both, and your KOTH games can even count as ladder games if both of you are in the ladder. The ladder will allow two player or more games.

The ladder will start in a week or so when I get some things finalized on it.

Geoschmo
Old March 13th, 2003, 07:20 PM

Another symptom of the PBW problems is it doesn't work right when I assign players. I need you to join the regular way. I have emailed several of you aboout your new games if your email on PBW is correct. If you didn't get an email but are expecting a new match soon, check the koth page and follow the link to your game from there.

Geoschmo
Old March 13th, 2003, 11:13 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Geo, you can move Zarix up a level and move me back to the bottom. He beat me.
Intel sucks! I failed to get intel facs researched for defense and Zarix beat me like that. I couldn't keep planets populated and thus I lost resources and he kept taking ships and damaging them and so forth. If it wasn't for this I clearly had the advantage in ship to ship battle. But ships don't do any good when you can move due to damage or can't afford to keep them active.

Good game Zarix!

Oh and get this. The turn I surrendered the rest of my empire one of my Last remaining planets rebelled and started their own little empire. And then next turn they offered me a treaty. How ironic is that?!
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old March 14th, 2003, 12:53 AM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok:
Oh and get this. The turn I surrendered the rest of my empire one of my Last remaining planets rebelled and started their own little empire. And then next turn they offered me a treaty. How ironic is that?!
LOL...sorry. But that's just too funny. Sucks, though. Kinda like playing your first game and finding a frigate on your "doorstep" on the 4th turn. THAT sucks, too.
Old March 14th, 2003, 01:57 AM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

cool koth is staying...

GEO If you need help setting up games... I can do that...

Then the victor can email David G with the results so they get added to the stats sheet...

And the Winner can also email you stating they have won.......

Hell you can even get some one else to keep the level sheet updated ...

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly