Old April 9th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Its a little late for April Fools Jokes

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Quote:
PvK said:
That story was about as inaccurate and misleading as most FOX "News" stories.

See also:
http://gridcafe.web.cern.ch/gridcafe...id/whatis.html
Well at least they are more accurate and balanced than all of the other news sources they compete against.
FOX is about as accurate and balanced as PRAVDA was during the Cold War. And serves much of the same function.
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AMF said:
Quote:
Atrocities said:
Quote:
PvK said:
That story was about as inaccurate and misleading as most FOX "News" stories.

See also:
http://gridcafe.web.cern.ch/gridcafe...id/whatis.html
Well at least they are more accurate and balanced than all of the other news sources they compete against.
FOX is about as accurate and balanced as PRAVDA was during the Cold War. And serves much of the same function.
Fox news, not the opinion shows, is not a right wing propaganda enterprise. To say that Fox News, not the opinion shows, is not accurate or balanced is simply an uninformed and unfair character assassination attempt against the number one news organization on cable TV. If they were so unbalanced, say like MSNBC is, then why are they the ratings leader? Simple answer, more people believe that they are the most balanced of the news networks and therefore are preferred by most people. Again thats the NEWS end of things and not the dumb opinion shows.
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Sergeant

GuyOfDoom is on a distinguished road

Ah see there is your mistake. You're assuming ratings has anything to do with accuracy or reliability of a news network. Turns out that's the main problem with FOX news. They often invent or twist the news to get RATINGS.
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road

Let's stop the arguments for and against cable news networks, I don't think we'll change anyone's mind.

Besides, the best tagline used to be from "The Daily Show" - "When news breaks, we fix it!"
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Fox news, not the opinion shows, is not a right wing propaganda enterprise. To say that Fox News, not the opinion shows, is not accurate or balanced is simply an uninformed and unfair character assassination attempt against the number one news organization on cable TV. If they were so unbalanced, say like MSNBC is, then why are they the ratings leader? Simple answer, more people believe that they are the most balanced of the news networks and therefore are preferred by most people. Again thats the NEWS end of things and not the dumb opinion shows.
Well, then you've provided a clear and testable hypothesis for whether Fox as a channel is more biased than other news outlets. Essentially, you are claiming that the more opinion shows has, the more biased they are.

With that I present this factoid:

"The Project on Excellence in Journalism study[38] showed that 68 percent of Fox cable stories contained personal opinions, as compared to MSNBC at 27 percent and CNN at 4 percent."

Ref: Project for Excellence in Journalism, State of the News Media 2006: An Annual Report on American Journalism

Can be found at: http://www.stateofthenewsmedia.org/2006/index.asp

I leave it to you to go, read the report, and, I am certain, come up with some way to dismiss it.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Dude why do you feel that you must turn everything into a debate about who is write and wrong? Really what the [censored] does it matter anyways, you get your news from your skewed sources, and I'll get mine from my skewed sources. Call it even. We both know that when they own the news, they can bend it any way they want.

I could research and post a dozen links to support FOX news but I don't give a [censored] about it enough to waste my time doing that. Besides studies and such are often tainted and horribly misleading. One says X is bad, another says X is good. Who do we believe?

In the end it all boils down to what your comfortable with. So I go back to saying, whatever floats your boat is all well and good in my book.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:19 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Dude why do you feel that you must turn everything into a debate about who is write and wrong? What the [censored] does it matter anyways, you get your news from your skewed sources, and I'll get mine from my skewed sources. Call it even.
Off the top of my head, at least three reasons:

One, I care about my country, and I refuse to sit by and watch it and its values hijacked by misanthropes

Two, I am, at least in my own way, a scientist and therefore I value truths that are arrived at scientifically and verifiably. And truths, even socio-technocratic ones, are even more important than physical truths because they affect people's lives.

Three, I have but one life to give for my country. See [1] above.
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Good enough for me. I am proud to be an American and have the freedom to make those choices. God Bless the United States.
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:56 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

You guys are both right. In different words you say the same things. It's all in how we digest what we hear or read.

My theory is: "I believe nothing of what I hear, and half of what I see."

When you see reports that tell you something is good for you. It's usually sponsored/funded by the company/business that has the most to gain. That, you can take to the bank!!! The news is no different. It used to be the four W's. Now it's opinionated journalism. I'm sorry, "Alleged" opinionated journalism. Don't want to forget that "A" word that opens the door for opinions!!!
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The truth be told, the truth is seldom told.

Now if you want to hear the truth that I hold to, visit this LINK. This guy about sums it all up quite nicely.