.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Private

boltcutter is on a distinguished road
Default Newb question III: Downloading maps

so when I download a map, I get a .map file.

I seem to NEED a .map and a .tga file to actually use it- I get the "Nagot Gick Fel!" error message when I click on it, and "Can't open ./maps/parganos.tga" .

I'm running WinXP.

What do I need to do?
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb question III: Downloading maps

Downloading a map usually yields a ".map" AND a ".tga"-file. The tga-file is simply the graphical artwork of the map (tga is just a picture file like ".jpg"), while the map-file contains all game-relevant information (terrain, sites, inital troops, etc.). Both must be copied into the "map"-subdirectory in order to use the map. Copying both files into the map directory is all that is needed to 'install' a Dom2-map.

However, sometimes a revision of a map (or an alternate version) does not need an altered version of the tga-file. Since the tga-file can become quite big, it is often omitted in this case and you will only obtain the small map-file (not everyone has broadband internet access yet). In order to use it, one has to have the previous (or alternate) version of the map installed first, which provided the tga-file.

So download and install a previous version first in this case. If the creator of the map-file did not rename the map-file, one should take care that it is not overwritten when copying the old files into the map directory.

Note that both files can have different names, as the map-file contains a line naming the tga-file that is meant to be used in conjunction with it. This allows to use several version of one and the same map to be used simultaneously (e.g. for scenario maps).

So the error message in your case tells you to install the PARGANOS map first (available at the usual Dom2-places).

(Edited to clarify)
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Private

boltcutter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb question III: Downloading maps

Thanks!