.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 7th, 2011, 12:30 AM

Private

Rick L is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for upgrade of AI

Dominions 3 is by far the richest, most complicated game I've ever played, and I love it. My only wish is that the AI was more robust. It doesn't seem capable of summoning the really top level troops, such as trolls. And at the end of the game it just seems to quit. I once had about half the map, and Marverni had the other half. Marverni had 1200 troops in one spot, but they never attacked. Also, the AI tends to mass troops in odd corners, adjacent to sea provinces the nation can't enter.

For those of us who lack the time to do multi[-player games, and who play mostly on airplanes, a stronger AI would be great. I realize this is a lot to ask, and I am grateful for the updates we do get.
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suggestions for upgrade of AI

Make the AI supply conscious!
Also, nation specific strategies would be SWEET.
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Odd corners could be done if it applies to all games. But buildups next to sea would not be a bad idea if there are water nations in the game.

As for supply conscious, does the AI ignore starving? I thought that when it starved, it moved (as long as it wasnt in a castle)
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Odd corners could be done if it applies to all games. But buildups next to sea would not be a bad idea if there are water nations in the game.
I see the AI building up before going to war, and that's always pretty cool. Leads to big standoffs.
Quote:
As for supply conscious, does the AI ignore starving? I thought that when it starved, it moved (as long as it wasnt in a castle)
It moves, sure, but it doesn't make use of cauldrons of broth or bags of wine even when it's a nature nation and insists on large armies even though the armies are crippled by starvation.
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If it moves to find food then I think that is the best we will get.
The other options sound like "IF"s which are unlikely
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
Dominions 3 is by far the richest, most complicated game I've ever played, and I love it. My only wish is that the AI was more robust. It doesn't seem capable of summoning the really top level troops, such as trolls. And at the end of the game it just seems to quit.
There's lots of problems with the AI players... don't even get me started on the meaningless arena death matches where all the AI players send their prophets and large size gods.
Unfortunately the improving of the AI opponents has not been done since Dominion_3 was first released, well there's been 3 minor improvements. The devs have improved the way battles are done, but that's for humans and AI players. As a result most players who play against AI opponents create or adjust maps to avoid their flaws... which include the following:
A} Bump Map Setting for "Supplies" to 300.
B} DO NOT play any maps with Water Provinces unless your AI opponents are Water Nations or 90% of their recruits can safely enter the water.
C} Provide AI opponents a growth scale within the .map file because otherwise they slowly grow weaker.
D} Pray the game doesn't have an arena death match because the reward has almost zero value and the AI players only become weaker afterwards.

OTHER RECOMMENDED RULES FOR AI GAME BALANCE:
E} Do not use item path boosters because the AI does not use them. Also do not use any of the unique items.
F} Provide the AI some supercombatants within the .map file, because it lacks the knowledge to build them. Give them more for increased game challenge.
G} Provide the AI a library at its capital so it can be competitive with research, which is done in the .map file.
H} Use the map editor to remove small size provinces because small provinces means less supplies which means starving and disease is more likely.

Quote:
If it moves to find food then I think that is the best we will get.
The other options sound like "IF"s which are unlikely
The problem is the AI will move units from multiple provinces into one single province which then causes starving and disease in the same turn. Too many units arriving into one province will cause units to be diseased the turn they arrive.

=====
SUMMARY:
Since Illwinter doesn't seem interested in improving the AI opponents I hope their future games allow for modding of the AI opponents where the community can improve them. AI opponents should also have multiple personalities so they are less predictable.

Last edited by NTJedi; September 7th, 2011 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: details
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

I like death matches... They add flavor.
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM

General

Moderator Re: Suggestions for upgrade of AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
I like death matches... They add flavor.
The concept of the death match is a great idea, unfortunately it's poorly implemented within Dominions3 since the AI sends their pretenders and the overall "cursed" prize is not worth risking the life of a good unit. If the arena death match was moddable the MP and SP community would quickly fix the problems with how it's currently implemented.

THE RECOMMENDED ILLWINTER FIX
1) The AI should "never" send its pretenders or prophets to the death match because the dominion bonus they provide is too valuable.
2) The Death Match Prize should provide gems and gold based on the current game turn and number of participants. The death match on turn_85 with 8 participants should provide a greater reward than a death match on turn_10 with 4 participants.
3) The commander/mage which is victorious should receive one or more unique abilities such as immortality or immunity to horrormarks or +3 map movement or something major as a personal reward.
4) The commander/mage which is victorious should not be "cursed" by being forced to attend future death matches. Nothing worse then rewarding someone a "curse" for their victory.

Anytime I see a falling star... my one wish is the arena death match gets fixed.
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:29 AM

Corporal

Deathblob is on a distinguished road

Just mod out the arena site if you don't want death matches.
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:44 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblob View Post
Just mod out the arena site if you don't want death matches.
That's been tried and tested yet does not prevent death matches.