.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default Modding Help

I have a list of specific questions. I looked through the DOM3 UOR modding manual v317. I couldn't get the newer one to work, I kept getting a CRC error when I tried to unzip the file from here. If someone could e-mail it to me, that would be great. I can PM you my e-mail account. =\ After looking through the manual, I couldn't find a command for certain things I wanted to do. So, here come the long list of questions.

If a command is not listed in the manual, is it impossible to add the effect?

Case in point, C'Tis's miasma is not presented as a command that you can add to a nation. But could I use C'Tis as a base nation somehow, clear all the units, and still get the miasma effect?

If so, is the +% gold per dominion tied to the miasma effect?

Many underwater nations have different recruitment rosters on dry land then they do in the water. Is this moddable, and how do I do it if it is?

I think that's everything for right now.

Jazzepi
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Modding Help

First off, the UOR Modding Manual is obsolete. Has been for months. Back when version 3.20 came out, the UORMM had been turned to the official manual and updated. That one is now included in the patches. So if you just read the modding.pdf file in the doc folder, you will have up to date instructions. The most up to date public version is 3.21 that came in the last patch.

Miasma is not moddable, but you could use MA C'tis as basis and use the #clearrec command to remove their recruitable roster.

Separate recruitment lists for land and underwater forts are currently not moddable, but they would make for an excellent wishlist item. I'll add that later.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Major General

Had some more questions.

Is there a way to add my own sound effects to the game for unit attacks?

Where can I find a list of all the effects that can go on #secondaryeffect?

I'd like to have a unit that explodes when it dies. Either doing damage, but probably just spreading a negative status effect on the enemies. What would be a good way to model this? Right now I'm just sticking with monster editing, I haven't dabbled into spell effects, so if it requires spell effects to do, please be explicit in your answer!

Jazzepi
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post
Had some more questions.

Is there a way to add my own sound effects to the game for unit attacks?

Where can I find a list of all the effects that can go on #secondaryeffect?

I'd like to have a unit that explodes when it dies. Either doing damage, but probably just spreading a negative status effect on the enemies. What would be a good way to model this? Right now I'm just sticking with monster editing, I haven't dabbled into spell effects, so if it requires spell effects to do, please be explicit in your answer!

Jazzepi
1) Try the #sound command on the modding manual.

2) Try Edi's Dom3 DB and it's list of weapons. Any weapon (even one that you modded yourself) can be a secondaryeffect.

3) Hmm. Tricky. a)You can make a unit that will *very* likely die when it attacks
b) make a spell that will center a massive blast on the caster.

That's all I can think of now.

a) You could make the unit extemely low hp and give it an AoE attack to which it will most likely die.

b) Here's the partial code for the spell anwser.

Code:
#newspell
#name "EXPLOSION"
#descr "Comes with a BANG"
#flightspr -1
#explspr Y
#path 0 4
#school -1
#aoe Y
#range 0
#effect 2
#damage YY
#researchlevel 0
#pathlevel 0 1
#spec XXX
#fatiguecost 0
#end

#newspell
#name "BANG"
#descr "XXXXXX."
#flightspr -1
#explspr X
#path 0 X
#school X
#aoe 0
#range 0
#effect 23
#damage 4
#researchlevel 0
#pathlevel 0 1
#spec XXX
#fatiguecost XX
#nextspell "EXPLOSION"
#end
Replace the X's and Y's with whatever values you want for the spell to have. The "BANG" is a personal buff that gives "haste". Why? The casting AI is sometimes very reluctant to cast spells that will clearly *always* kill the caster, so we are fooling the AI into thinking that the spell is a poor personal buff. This will also prevent the casting AI from casting it unscripted. The unit won't cast this spell though if the unit already has haste.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.

Last edited by Burnsaber; March 13th, 2009 at 11:22 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Burnsaber For This Useful Post:
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Major General

Thanks for the quick answer.

I have some code to share. It will give you a hint of what I'm working on. My problem is that when the boomer unit does its attack I have two issues.

1. I'm not getting anything flying through the air. They clearly stop and "attack" but I don't see any projectile. I'd love to have a particle effect like the dragon's breath uses.

2. The poison never takes hold, ever. Even when units take the 1 point of damage, the virulent disease poison doesn't work. I'd like to note that I've gotten that poison to work on another weapon I've been using for a different unit.

Also, I checked out the sound command. I was curious if /I/ could record a sound and add it to the game somehow, or if I had to use the other unit's sounds. I have a nice recording setup, and I could do a great BLARGGHHHH for the vomiting.

Jazzepi

Code:
#newmonster2605
#copystats2500
#copyspr 155
#name "Boomer"
#weapon "Vomit Spray"
#armor "Thick Slime"
#gcost 30
#rcost 15
#weapon 29
#weapon 29
#str 13
#size 3
#hp 15
#def 6
#attack 10
#perc 11
#map 2
#ap 12
#end

#newweapon 703
#name "Vomit Spray"
#secondaryeffect 700
#secondaryeffectalways 329
#dt_cap
#att 2
#range -1
#ammo 1
#aoe 3
#end

#newweapon 700
#copystat
#name "Virulent Infection"
#dmg 9	
#dt_poison
#end
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

1) I was under the impression that someone has mapped the weapon flysprites, but I'm not sure. Forum search? You could give it arrow flysprite or something when testing. You could give the weapon explosion sprite. Looking at the mapped explsprites, 10139 is "Exploding Bile".

2) You can't use both #secondaryeffectalways and #secondaryeffect for the same weapon. You need to make a "chain" of weapon effects. At least didn't work for me a while back.

3) The sounds are hardcoded. It's probably not possible to record your own sounds and use them.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
1) I was under the impression that someone has mapped the weapon flysprites, but I'm not sure. Forum search? You could give it arrow flysprite or something when testing. You could give the weapon explosion sprite. Looking at the mapped explsprites, 10139 is "Exploding Bile".

2) You can't use both #secondaryeffectalways and #secondaryeffect for the same weapon. You need to make a "chain" of weapon effects. At least didn't work for me a while back.
1. So chapter 9 has spell modding in it, but the flysprites that it talks about in that chapter also apply to ranged weapons? Do they work for meele weapons as well?

2. Makes perfect sense! And yes, it still works like you think it does.

Thanks for the help :9

Jazzepi
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

L4D eh?

You can change a sound file that is rarely used to something else and then point to its number. Forum search or looking in the modding tools bit of the mod lsit should provide what you need.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:45 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Could you show one of your chains of weapon effects?
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
L4D eh?

You can change a sound file that is rarely used to something else and then point to its number. Forum search or looking in the modding tools bit of the mod lsit should provide what you need.
Just stealing a bit of inspiration

But, yes, it's basically the boomer from L4D. It should fit well with the nation's theme.

Jazzepi