.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What other games complement your Dominions 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by licker View Post
Ahh you're at the wrong forums then...

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...play.php?f=224

And then this thread

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=538340

For what is probably the best (and best supported) modpack.
I'm confused, with all of the flavors. Is Chocolate as final as it's going to get? Typing this while it downloads, but I doubt I'll reinstall until tomorrow - trying to minimize the chances of disappointment.
Yes the chocolate 0.999 version (I think that's the one) is the most 'current'. She is working on some new stuff, and has some changes to the .999 that have to be 'manually' done, though i haven't done them as that mod plays quite well as it is I believe.

I can help you with some questions, but you're probably best off asking directly in that thread (or make a new thread in the general discussion forum) and get the info straight from the developer.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it, and remember to do a complete wipe of MoO3 and reinstall everything from scratch (also need the 1.25 patch).
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Corporal

Ruminant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmon View Post
I found (by reference) a quite cool webbased TCG game. Its a lot of fun and i really like the mechanisms in gameplay and the tourney modes:

Urban Rivals

(with this link you can choose out of 3 different starter decks and i'm automatically your sponsor/buddy)

Try it out, the rules are really simple but you'll find out the game is a tactic game par excellence!
Nice call, Calmon. Tried it out on your recommendation and I have to admit, Urban Rivals is quite an engaging game. It's got a really original blend of, I don't really know what to call it, strategic turn based poker? The back and forth bluffing is really very fun. I fully recommend people to follow Cal's link and give this one of a kind online game a try.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM

Corporal

Ruminant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifone View Post
BTW as we're on the topic of other games, I'd love to try Dwarf Fortress, I'm sure many of you guys know it, but I have problems with that graphic. Can anyone tell me the best way to play it graphically (best graphical mod, I know there are many) and gameplay-wise (if there's a mod ala CBM) for Dwarf Fortress?
I was exactly the same Tifone. Took one look at the ASCII 'graphics' and thought "pass". Recently I took the plunge with a newer graphics set and my god, it really is -that- awesome. Try this link, it includes the client so you just need to download this and run it basically: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm I've only been playing for a week so I'd have no clue about gameplay mods.

It's hard to imagine an ASCII game could be this complex, I really don't think I've ever encountered another game (apart from Dominions, of course ) with as much effort poured into it as this one. One part dwarven The Sims, one part city builder, one part realistic combat simulator, one part fantasy world builder, one part diablo (in adventure mode) theres just so much in here. And the developer still has INSANE development goals posted on his website and is still plugging away at it with semi-regular fixes and updates.

If anyone was hesitant to give the game a try because of the graphics you now have no excuse! It's almost, kinda, not really dominions quality graphics now. You really don't know what your missing until you too witness your pet cat being slaughtered by evil ratmen, your loner woodcutter finally decides to slaughter Bob and make a legendary mug out of his skull or you realize you've inadvertantly declared war on the entire elven nation by trying to sell them the toy hammers that are all that's left of the primeval forests that used to surround your fortress

In case you still need some convincing, or a good laugh, I submit the following account of a certain legendary Dwarf Fortress game for your viewing pleasure: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/intro.html

Last edited by Ruminant; February 23rd, 2009 at 02:24 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruminant For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

http://ultracorps.sjgames.com/

If a fine game. Dom like in some ways, but much simpler, and of course its Steve Jackson games, so there's the whole sense of humor thing.

Oh, and the best thing?

Still in Beta, so still 100% free!!!

Doesn't look like the Beta will last past the summer (though who ever knows), so give it a shot.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:56 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Yes, Dwarf Fortress actually beats everything out there by a factor of ten. No, kidding.
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Sergeant

Deadnature is on a distinguished road

Wow, Ultracorps! I first played this game 11 years ago! I've wanted to check up on it but couldn't remember the name. Thanks Licker
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Regarding Dwarf Fortress:

I've tried this game... I can't seem to get into it. Perhaps the learning curve is just too steep? Or maybe it is the too-open ended playing style. The text based graphics isn't an issue -- I've spent countless hours playing Moria and Angband. But there you have a clear play style (walk around and smack things) as well as clear objectives (pile up gold, items, and levels)

In dwarf fortress, I always get stumped by two questions, "what?" and "how?". Specifically, "What the heck am I supposed to be doing", and then "how the heck do I do it?" I tried building a farm, but I couldn't even figure out how to keep my poor mining dwarf from drowning when I opened the door, let alone how to plant seeds and grow anything.

The interface has to be improved. When I can tell my dwarves, "dig an underground farm here, and figure out how to irrigate and plant it yourselves", that's when I'll give it another swing.

Karl
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I've only gotten anywhere with DF by making heavy use of the guides and advice on the wiki.

Simplest way to build a farm is just to dig it out of soil instead of rock. Then you don't even have to irrigate it.
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

In a year or six(!) we will probably see an interface overhaul:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

As of now the learning curve is to say the least steep, but there are help to be found:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Yes, the Dwarf Wiki was very helpful -- that's how I figured out as much as I did. But it was still pretty painful.

As for farming outside... well, that defeats the purpose. After reading the story of Boatmurdered I figured I'd probably get overrun by the first goblin invasion that happened by. My only hope was to be entirely self-sufficient indoors -- but that means I need to farm indoors!!!