.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM

First Lieutenant

Zen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What do I build to counter High def glamour un

Yep, you're right. Glad you said that though, since I was checking them to see why I thought they were size 3, something wonky with a the Pretender Mod, thought I have no idea why it has Lizard Heirs and Arco chariots at size 3 since I don't even mod them.

*Feature*tacular
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM

First Lieutenant

FAJ is on a distinguished road

If I am abysia, using cloud effect spells would work well for knocking off the glamour units?
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Zen is on a distinguished road

Cloud spells or Falling Fires should do you just fine. If you don't have Evo5, but you do have Evo4 (for Fire Cloud) you should probably make a priority for Evo5, since it does dramatically help your units against non-fire resistant units.

You can also try Prison of Fire, with a decent mage (4+ in Fire) you should be able to imprison them, if you can get the Spell AI to target them.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Corporal

curtadams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
Chariots were actually the only thing I was able to get to sort of work against F9W9 helhirdings as C'Tis, but I wasn't able able to quite figure out the right balance of chariots to turn off glamour and elite warriors to actually kill them.
This shows how extreme the problem is. Even if you can knock off the glamour it's very hard to nail those high-defense units. Plus decent protection and, sometimes, beserking. Urk. Basically, Vanheim cavalry and heavy infantry are pretty gruesome units. It wasn't so noticeable in Dom2 because magic and SCs were much more important and differences in national units quickly became irrelevant. But buffing up the importance of the national units has worked and those strong units really make a difference now.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Sergeant

dirtywick is on a distinguished road

Abysians can knock off glamour with their radiant heat alone. But, yeah, Fire Cloud works really well too, better than Falling Fires for that purpose, as it has a rather large AOE and sits there a few rounds so a lot of units will walk through it, and as Abysia you can cast it x5 because it doesn't effect your guys so you can cast it right on your front lines. Flare actually isn't bad early, it effects a lot of squares around where it lands, doesn't do much damage but can start the unit on fire which is all you want to knock off glamour.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It wasn't so noticeable in Dom2 because magic and SCs were much more important and differences in national units quickly became irrelevant. But buffing up the importance of the national units has worked and those strong units really make a difference now.
I thought vans had had a boost even, in that the +3 from defence was new... but comparing to dom2, I see vans are almost identical. Only difference to dominions 2.02 is they now have +1 def and -1 prot because of the shield rule changes. The mounted bonus just wasn't spelled out before. I think you're right in your reasoning.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:52 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dirtywick said:
Flare actually isn't bad early, it effects a lot of squares around where it lands, doesn't do much damage but can start the unit on fire which is all you want to knock off glamour.
Do ball spells actually work on glamoured units? They didnt in dom2 due to a bug.
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Sergeant

dirtywick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
Quote:
dirtywick said:
Flare actually isn't bad early, it effects a lot of squares around where it lands, doesn't do much damage but can start the unit on fire which is all you want to knock off glamour.
Do ball spells actually work on glamoured units? They didnt in dom2 due to a bug.
I'm not sure if they'll actually get hit by the ball, that's not really the purpose behind it. Even if Flare hits nothing, which is what usually happens regardless of glamour haha, it releases and AOE in a few squares around it that sometimes starts units on fire which handily gets rid of the glamour. That, I've seen happen. I wouldn't exactly call it reliable or something to base a strategy off of, but early in the game it helps when you don't exactly have too many options anyway.