.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Sergeant

magnate is on a distinguished road
Default Who said Wither Bones was so great??

So I finally get some Lamia Queens equipped with skull staves and research Thaum 6 and send them in against the undead hordes.

Pffffffshhhh. I'd rather have spent the money on priests.

Wither Bones costs FIFTY fatigue, so they can cast it three times (tops) before passing out.

Its accuracy is PANTS. It frequently misses altogether, and I've never seen it hit more than two undead, even when there are hundreds of them on the battlefield.

What am I missing? This is supposed to be THE anti-undead spell: no MR save, armour negating, etc. What's up?

CC
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Mark the Merciful

Default Re: Who said Wither Bones was so great??

Well I've played Ermor and been on the other end of some serious Wither Bones-ing, and I'm here to tell you that it's a nightmare for the receiver.

Given that undead normall come in Huge Hordes(TM), accuracy doesn't tend to be an issue; you're always going to hit <i>someting</i>. But, like priests and Banish, you're going to need a critical mass of casters to do any good. You've got to attrite them quickly (or have a rock-solid shield of melee fighters to hide behind) before their numbers overwhelm you.

Give your casters some death gems or another death boosting item to keep the fatigue cost down and increase the number of castings. Or, if you have easier access to large numbers of priests, they may be the better way to go anyway.

And there's always the luck factor. Try it a few more times before you give up on it. I bet you see better results next time.

Mark
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Sergeant

Hmm, I'd forgotten about using gems to reduce fatigue cost. How does that work? Will it automatically use one gem to reduce cost if there are any in the caster's inv, or do you have to specify it somehow? What happens if I want to use the gem for a spell which needs it, instead of using it to lower fatigue cost? If the spells are scripted in the wrong order, does it use the gem to lower fatigue and then leave the caster unable to cast the other spell?

What's the fatigue reduction, is it 50%?

Well, he goes some more trying ...

CC
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Any caster who has gems in his inventory -- gems of the primary path of the spells he casts, anyway -- will automatically consider using them.

Using gems above and beyond the base required raises the effective level of the caster for fatigue reduction and effectiveness, IIRC. Having one level above what's needed cuts base casting fatigue (NOT including encumberance fatigue) to 1/2 normal, two levels 1/3 normal, etc.
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Don't forget Wither Bones is unresistable and can kill the toughest undead. Mass banishment is very effectiev vs hordes of Soulless, but definitely consider Wither Bones if you're facing things like Ghosts or Wights.
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
magnate said:
So I finally get some Lamia Queens equipped with skull staves and research Thaum 6 and send them in against the undead hordes.

Wither Bones costs FIFTY fatigue, so they can cast it three times (tops) before passing out.

Its accuracy is PANTS. It frequently misses altogether, and I've never seen it hit more than two undead, even when there are hundreds of them on the battlefield.

What am I missing? This is supposed to be THE anti-undead spell: no MR save, armour negating, etc. What's up?

CC
i was the one who said that LOL.

since lamia queens are NATURE mages too you could script them to eagle eyes , wither bones .
furthermore give them the 2 handed death +1 staff for 10 deathgems etc.

so thinking before posting such "nonsense" would be sometimes great
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Corporal

geo981010 is on a distinguished road

Not every LQ is destined for Wither Bones greatness - the D4 ones with a Skull Staff will only get about ~20 fatigue per casting total, so try it with them. A D3 + staff one is about ~30, so they are ok, but if only D2 they should find another job - Astrals can Nether Dart (maybe communion if you have some lizards about and go for WB), Bloods should be hunting for slaves, and of course my Favorites the Natures should be casting Relief. Two casting relief means even the D3 LQs are able to cast it several times.

As for accuracy particularly with LQs, try an Eagle Eye casting first. The attack LQ flavours (Nether Darting and Wither Boning ones in particular) should have that scripting first. It helps for Vine Arrows too!
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road

I accidentally attacked an (allied) undead horde with a solo D6 heliophagus. He killed 220 before he fled. Your mistake is to use in with unsupported d3 casters.

Pickles
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Boron said:
Quote:
magnate said:

CC
i was the one who said that LOL.

since lamia queens are NATURE mages too you could script them to eagle eyes , wither bones .
furthermore give them the 2 handed death +1 staff for 10 deathgems etc.

so thinking before posting such "nonsense" would be sometimes great
Hey buddy try not to be *too* offensive. If you read my first post you'll see they are already equipped with "the 2 handed death +1 staff".

I hadn't thought of casting Eagle Eyes first though - thank you for that suggestion.

I love this game - building up an encyclopaedic knowledge of spells is the only way to optimise your play. Must look up Mass Banishment ....

Incidentally, only 1 in 16 LQs will be D4. Another 3 in 8 will be D3 though, which is better. Geo said D3+staff (ie. D4 cast) gets "~30" fatigue - why isn't it just halved, like when using a gem?? If they use a gem as well, is it halved again, or does it just count as D5 cast, ie. 1/3 fatigue?

CC
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
magnate said:
Incidentally, only 1 in 16 LQs will be D4. Another 3 in 8 will be D3 though, which is better. Geo said D3+staff (ie. D4 cast) gets "~30" fatigue - why isn't it just halved, like when using a gem?? If they use a gem as well, is it halved again, or does it just count as D5 cast, ie. 1/3 fatigue?

CC
You need to add the basic spellcasting enc to the fatigue cost of the spell. This is 3 for a LQ. So 28 per casting after 4 = 112 so 2 sleeping rounds then she is awake again.
You could shoot & scoot after 3 shots.

Adding a gem increases effective caster level so it would be 1/3*50 + 3 or 19. Gem use is a punt though.

A little bit of reinvigoration like boots of the messenger will let her cast 5 in a row. (I think it's 4 reinvig)
Alternatively, add in another 1-2 N3 casters casting Relief which is ench 6 & restores quite a bit of fatigue (20-30 IIRC) to EVERYONE.

Pickles