.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:19 AM

Corporal

Cameronius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has anyone been playing the new Kursk Campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosollia View Post

Just out of curiosity is it the "Panzer Elite" ww2 tank simulator game from 1999 or the 2006 "Panzer Elite Action" FPS shoot'em up?
I used the 1999 "Panzer Elite" as the basis of the campaign. The Beresov, Yakovlevo and Teterevino maps were based on maps from the game. Also the scenario progression from Beresov on. However it is only a platoon level game so I increased the scale to brigade-. I also designed the Prokhorovka map from other map sources. The battle of Prokhorovka is quite close to historical accuracy.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:59 AM

Corporal

KAreil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronius View Post
I used the 1999 "Panzer Elite" as the basis of the campaign. The Beresov, Yakovlevo and Teterevino maps were based on maps from the game. Also the scenario progression from Beresov on. However it is only a platoon level game so I increased the scale to brigade-. I also designed the Prokhorovka map from other map sources. The battle of Prokhorovka is quite close to historical accuracy.

And you used the Ostpak-MOD of the game right?

The base game does not feature anything on the Eastern front.

I'm still playing the game from time to time and it's still the best WW2-tank-simulation I know of.

It's available at GOG:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/panzer_elite_se/

Together with the "Panzer Elite Three"-MOD (includes Ostpak and a lot of graphical improvements) it's still great and has an acceptable graphic for such an old game.

MODs I use:
http://pedg.yuku.com/topic/1719/Panz...k#.T6DAKcWzskQ
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:36 AM

Corporal

Cameronius is on a distinguished road

Yes, I used the ostpak mod. However I have not actually played the game in quite some time and had no idea that there were such recent upgrades. Thx for the link. I will be downloading it post-haste.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:48 AM

Corporal

KAreil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronius View Post
Yes, I used the ostpak mod. However I have not actually played the game in quite some time and had no idea that there were such recent upgrades. Thx for the link. I will be downloading it post-haste.

Wouldn't call them "recent upgrades" and I don't think there is much further development ongoing...

But still the game is more than 10 years old and it's still fun and very challenging...
Old February 19th, 2016, 11:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

I have just started to play this Campaign, but upon deployment I realized that formation hierarchy is quite messed up.

The Heavy Panzer Company HQ (D Formation) doesn't command any platoons under it. Its "supposed" subordinates, the 12 or so Tigers spread accross 3 platoons, are under the command of an obscure SdkFz formation (K Formation). And then, this K Formation, which is supposed to be a company HQ, is under the command of O Formation (instead of directly under the A Formation! I don't even know such a thing could be accomplished in the game, subordinating a Company HQ under a Company HQ!). This O Formation commands the Panzer Grenadier company, while another Company HQ (I forget which formation) which is supposed to be a PzGren Kp HQ doesn't command anything under it!

The hierarchy is just so messed up that I dared not play the actual battles.
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I'll look into it as time allows

EDIT

Interesting................

The start up scenario for that campaign shows the correct command structure but assembled into the campaign it does not and that will require further digging.

ALL I can suggest at this time is you cross attach the formations manually before you start. I have tried rebuilding it with a copy of the first scenario that has the correct command structure but once plugged into the campaign it reverts to the command structure you reported but if you manually change it and continue on I *think* it will be OK. I need to consult with Andy about this

Don

Last edited by DRG; February 19th, 2016 at 12:53 PM..
Old February 19th, 2016, 11:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Wow.. never thought there would be a possible deeper problem to it.
Yes, I have tried cross attachment, but it was already so confusing to begin with, that I immediately started another campaign rather... hehe

Thank you for digging into this, let's hope it's something simple. You guys are amazing developers, really listening to user feedback!
Old February 20th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The short, sweet answer is it's a mess that just deleting and rebuying some units didn't fix the problem and we don't know why when the first scenario is extracted and looked at as a standalone the command structure is OK but added to the campaign it's borked.

As much as I want to fix this to ensure it plays correctly I am at or beyond my work limit right now. Once I get the things for both games that absolutely need to be done I will take another look at this but as it stands now we could look at this as an "learning opportunity" to set the command Heirarchy of the German Force yourself during the initial deployment phase....

Start with reassigning Tigers to their proper HQ ( formation D ) then fix the PzGren..you want the Pz Gren's commanded by formation J..............Once you sort out the tigers and the pzgen ( which doesn't take long ) you are pretty much done and YES, I KNOW this isn't the solution you were hoping for but consider it's been in the game for about three years and you're the first one to see the problem this is the best I can do ATM and I KNOW the solution is not idea but cross attaching a few formations takes maybe 10 minute tops once you understand there is one Main HQ ( A0 ) and three main subordinates ( D0 for the Tigers ) ( L0 for the pzgen ) and ( R0 ..panzer arty ) and of those three subordinates the D0 and the L0 are the ones of main importance

Don

Last edited by DRG; February 20th, 2016 at 01:44 PM..
Old February 20th, 2016, 09:44 PM

Corporal

Warwick is on a distinguished road

Played it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't notice any messed up hierarchy, didn't seem to make a difference to gameplay.
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:01 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Well that's good news..........did you play it recently ?

Fixing this "correctly" involves rebuilding the entire first scenario at least....we belive the problem is the Soviet HQ.... and YES.......it doesn't seem to make any sense why the Soviet HQ would affect the command structure of the German player but it APPEARS the way units were bought, deleted, repurchased etc has left the Soviet HQ like a bolder in a stream that interrupts the German command flow and we only know that because Andy started strategically deleting units to see when things would start working again and it didn't with every Russian unit deleted except the HQ ( which cannot be deleted )

I'll just quote Andy , it's simpler

Quote:

I tried several variants on deleting all the German formations, then re-buying. None worked.

So I deleted the soviet stuff, and still it did not work.

Since you cant delete the Russian HQ sitting in slot 5 or so once you have bought soviet stuff, it must be where that is that is causing grief?. Only way to get rid is a fresh start scenario...

To test that - saved the map.
started a fresh editor session, loaded map, set date battle type and so on, bought German forces. Opened soviet force buy and exited so just the HQ.

saved the scenario, loaded in the slot 0 of the campaign, saved campaign.

All now working fine for the German chain of command.
So......if you played it without adjusting the command structure and it played well that saves us time better spent until we have the time to consider rebuilding it but the tools for a player to adjust the command structure are there and it doesn't take long to "fix" it .......but as you noted it plays fine without being fixed

Thanks for that info

Don