.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 3rd, 2005, 07:04 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions II Bug Thread

Perhaps your own army was routing as well? I know I took a couple of provinces though my own army routed, so those provinces were left without a single unit (I only won the battle because some of my troops took a longer time to flee).
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alneyan said:
Perhaps your own army was routing as well? I know I took a couple of provinces though my own army routed, so those provinces were left without a single unit (I only won the battle because some of my troops took a longer time to flee).
My entire army was still on the field. I watched the battle several times and it never said I routed. Is there any way to send a file of the replay? It's too late now, but in the future if it happens again?
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

You can save a replay by copying the turn files into some other place before hosting the next turn.
Did this happen in a multiplayer game? Did the battle report say you won or did you only check the replay?
Maybe it was because of server-host version incompatibility which is known to cause false battle replays (the battle report is always accurate though).
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Agrajag said:
You can save a replay by copying the turn files into some other place before hosting the next turn.
Did this happen in a multiplayer game? Did the battle report say you won or did you only check the replay?
Maybe it was because of server-host version incompatibility which is known to cause false battle replays (the battle report is always accurate though).
What turn files do I need to save? The game was single player vs. the AI. I forgot to check the battle report, but I didn't win the province even though the replay showed I did.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:26 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I think the fthrlnd file is only needed for hosting, and that the .2h files only hold the orders. That leaves only the .trn file to contain the actual turn. This is from memory, but should be correct.
Old April 20th, 2005, 05:52 AM

General

This post (and the one that will follow, once I am done with some testing) has been made with the latest patch (2.16).

At least two players have reported an odd behaviour with the Mind Duel spell, where weak astral mages won against truly powerful ones: a six-level difference resulted in the lesser mage winning and living to tell the tale, while both mages should have been dead; an astral 3 mage also defeated an astral 10 mage and survived. All my tests have been done with the better mage casting the Mind Duel spell, and I was on the defensive both times.

- Light of the Northern Star (and the banner) gives +1 to *all* astral mages on the battlefield, enemy mages included. This extra level can be used to cast spells: the Astral-1 R'lyeh Starspawns became Astral-2 Starspawns thanks to my own Banner of the Northern Star, and started casting Mind Burn (a level 2 spell).

- An Astral 7 mage came into the battlefield, equipped with the Banner of the Northern Star; so he became a level 8 mage, but the Starspawns were actually level 2 mages. Regardless, my mage cast 200 Magic Duels without being killed in the process, so the Starspawns didn't manage to use their extra Astral level in the Magic Duels.

- An Astral 7 mage went in, casting Power of the Spheres this time; all was fine, as expected.

- An Astral 6 mage attacked the Starspawns, this time with Power of the Sphere and the Banner. He was a level 8 mage too, and the Starspawns were shown as being level 2 mages, but this mage got killed fairly quickly (the 19th Starspawn killed my mage). The target of the Magic Duel appears to have been killed too.

So, it looks like there is something very odd in the behaviour of those two spells, and perhaps in other things as well (Communions?). Two mages, with exactly the same levels, had very different results against the same opponents; the only difference was in the spells used to reach that level. I will be doing further testing on the matter, to try *what* exactly creates that sort of situation.
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:31 AM

General

Neither the Iron Walls spell (increase defence of a fort by 200 points) nor Arcane Masonry (increase the effective defence of a fort when besieged) appear to be working.

A test involved one unit with a siege bonus of 50; despite the presence of Iron Walls (lasting ten turns), the Watchtower (defence 50) fell in a single turn. Likewise, with a mere commander besieging the tower, and another commander defending the castle, Arcane Masonry failed to repair the walls; the defence was at 0 before the spell was cast, and remained at 0, even though the besieging force was very weak (so the spell had no effect).
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:32 AM

General

It looks like it is not possible to mod an item by using its number (under the patch 2.16, which should make this sort of modding possible). Changing the path requirements of the Bane Blade/Sword of Sharpness doesn't work when using their unique numbers; using the name only alters the one-handed sword. It looks like it is possible to remove both from the game however. I will create a thread shortly about those two weapons, as it could be my mistake rather than any bug.

On the same matter, both Staffs of Elemental Mastery appear to have the same ID (238), even though their effets are slightly different. They also have the same name ("Magic Staff", oddly enough), but otherwise behave as the Bane Blade/Sword of Sharpness.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Bug (v2.16):

A unit with 2+ strat moves and "Terrain Survival" cannot move at the full movement rate when commanding fliers. For example, a commander with Swamp Survival cannot move 2 spaces in swamp with Black Hawks under his command, since they lack Swamp Survival - even though they can fly. Try it; it feels very wierd. I would bet that it works the other way, too (giving a flying commander land troops with terrain survival reduces the movement to 1) though I have not tried it.
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Damn, looks like there are still a lot of major bugs in this game . I hope Illwinter will fix them in their spare time.