Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Babylon 5 Mod

Congrats to all.
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I was going through the race images and discovered that many of them need to be remasked. And additionally the inclusion of the Style Tester adds a lot of weight to mod. I would suggest using Adres HTML file and ditch the style testers.

I would be happy to do this for the mod if any one cares to say ok.
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

Atrocities: Go ahead if you want.
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

Whoa! We've made the frontpage. Congrats to us all indeed!

Nomor: Thanks for the mail you've send me. I haven't had time to read the text file you've send with it, but the pics are great.

GRumbler:
PM!

[ June 08, 2004, 11:14: Message edited by: Timstone ]

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:48 PM

Corporal

Nomor is on a distinguished road

Oops... Timstone: the text file is the same one from Rambie's site. It just has the facilities descriptions on it. I only got 2/3 down. None of the Ancients.
You can pass the pics on to Grumbler if you think he'll like them.

[ June 08, 2004, 18:54: Message edited by: Nomor ]
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:57 AM

Corporal

Goatfoam is on a distinguished road

Other than the description bugs/typos et al, there were also quite a few other things that I noticed (or the lack thereof) that I'd really like to see in this mod, hell, even work on if you'd let me. Bare in mind that I haven't tried any of the following ideas out yet, so I don't know how easy they would be to implement, but I'm sure something could be arranged. That's if you like the ideas, of course.

Babylon 5
There... well, there isn't one. I'd love to see it. There are two ideas I had of how you could go about doing this. The first would involve setting Babylon 5 up as a race all of its own. The second would involve new tech trees, most likely for the EA (which, if implemented properly, would probably make them highly unbalanced).

Both have pros and cons, obviously.

Babylon 5 as an "Empire" would throw the timeline off kilter, since it could be said to have been around since space travel first became possible. This is the most obvious con, but one that I feel could be overlooked. Like the Vorlons and Shadows, population growth would be next to nothing. However, fortunately for Bablon 5, they would be in orbit around The Great Machine, which would be a definite benefit - I was thinking that Babylon 5 could be represented by an actual station in orbit around the planet, and while the planet itself would have several facilities (probably construction), the majority of the work would be done by the station itself, which would be made up of many new components to simulate normal planetside facilities (some examples would be: Red Sector - Organics, Grey Sector - Construction, Yellow Sector - Cargo, Brown Sector - Minerals (mainly from trade)... I could go on), as well as other components that, as well as the more standard parts (weapons, defence grids, cobra bays) could represent ambassadors like G'Kar, Londo, Delenn and Kosh (who would provide Diplomacy Points (which would function like Intel)) - not to mention other famous faces like Garibaldi, Lyta Alexander... I won't bore you with a list of characters, but I think you can see the point I'm getting at.

As for "Diplomacy points" - they were another idea I had, since Babylon 5 really isn't the sort of empire to be sneaky as their goal is obviously peace. So, you'd have a host of B5-specific Intel techs to open up, which would tamper with relations (not sure if this is possible yet), open up new trade routes, set limits on people being naughty (mass drivers, anyone?), diplomatic espionage and more. With options for rangers, ships from different empires, and technology from Epsilon 3, there'd be plenty of stuff to keep the player busy, especially in a multiplayer RP scenario.

Of course, as I said, the other option would be to add Babylon 5 technology to EA, which would probably totally unbalance them. I much prefer the empire idea, personally. Either way, though, it'd be a shame to miss out on Babylon 5 itself in the finish product, right?

Diplomacy
I'd also propose a seperate Intel tech purely for Diplomatic actions, since, again, I feel that a lot of the flavour of Babylon 5 comes from the politics involved, as well as the intrigue and the various wars. These wouldn't be quite the same as the Babylon 5-specific techs, but could be fun. I also think it would be great to tamper with the general diplomatic model (the message thing) to flesh it out a little more as far as treaties and the like go, but again, I haven't looked into that too deeply yet.

Would anyone be interested in either or both of these ideas, or do they suck?
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:50 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder:
What are your long term plans for the mod? Right now it seems a bit bloated. 70 megs of files, mostly sounds, such. This mod is way to big for most people to dial up and download.
Old June 9th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Sergeant

Rambie is on a distinguished road

Goatfoam, your ideas are interesting. However, there is only so much you can MOD in SE4. I'm not sure you can do what you suggest with SE4.

Besides, the pic of B5 is part of the EA shipset. The EA needs to research Base Construction to get to the level to build a B5 type station.

Rambie
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:22 AM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:
quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder:
What are your long term plans for the mod? Right now it seems a bit bloated. 70 megs of files, mostly sounds, such. This mod is way to big for most people to dial up and download.
I have no long term plans. My part is done.
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Corporal

Goatfoam is on a distinguished road

Rambie: You're right, yeah. Also, the other point that was raised about the mod being huge already is another good one.

I'm still interested in making a more diplomacy-based game, though, so I'm going to have a play with it and see if anything can be done. It might be best to do it as a single player "scenario" type thing, with modded techs, races and facilities. But I'll see if it's possible first - I'm sure fiddling about with the Anger AI/Intel could produce at least some results, but probably only in a specific scenario type game. Anyway, we'll see.