Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:45 AM

Private

medicff is on a distinguished road
Default mine clearing not working

I am playing a generated campaign in 1965 and not only is the AI using many mines (saw other post) but I am unable to clear much at all. Using Mineroller tanks, CEV tanks, and multiple engineer units. Outside hex pointed in direction, inside hex, spotted mines (sometimes see on map when artillery or enemy runs into, but not spotted by my troops). No matter what I do , I have run many turns with engineers posed to clear and have only once clear a hex in this particular battle. Others have been fine. An Assault map default large. Thanks for any help. Save available upon request.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 03:38 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road
Default Re: mine clearing not working

Hi,

could you send me some savegame files at Pyros@myway.com or you may edit your post and attach them there(first you should zip all of them).

cheers,
Pyros
Old July 22nd, 2005, 02:33 PM

Private

medicff is on a distinguished road

Here are the saves of several turns into the battle with engineers and mineroller tanks in position. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 368888-Games.zip (1.85 MB, 148 views)
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Private

Thexder is on a distinguished road
Default Mine clearing not working in PBEM games:(

I've now played (or tried to play) two assault missions in WinSPMBT. During both games I've encountered problems with mineclearing.

First game was Israel vs. Egypt 1973, an assault over Suez. Well, I was able to cross the Suez but my engineers just didn't clear the mines and dragon teeth on the other side of the canal. They were all "ready" and spent like four turns next to the mines without clearing anything. We were forced to end the game as there was no reason to continue if the mines weren't being cleared.

The second battle was Finland vs. Sweden 2005. My opponent encountered the same problem and we were forced to end the game. The funny thing was that in the same battle my own engineers accidentally cleared some barbed wire. How is this possible?!

It seems that the assault games are unplayable in WinSPMBT. It's very irritating to spent maybe tens of hours in generating the map, purchasing, deploying and moving your troops just to learn that the game is unplayble. I consider this to be the biggest bug in WinSPMBT, which is, apart from this, one of the best games I've ever played. I hope it will be fixed in the upcoming patch.
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mine clearing not working in PBEM games:(

There severel way ot of it:
1. You can turn mines off in the prefernces
2. You can use helo assault to fly over mines
3. You can use mine-clearing tanks. You have to put at least 4 mine-clearing tank (better put 6) before the mine hex to clean it in one turn. That is not counting move turn. Only tank at rest is doing cleaning.
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:06 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
medicff said:
Here are the saves of several turns into the battle with engineers and mineroller tanks in position. Thanks.
I tried this, and saw several mine roller tanks sitting beside mine hexes, but pointing in any old direction and not towards the mine hex. After pointing the engineers and mine roller tanks AT the target hex, they started to clear the obstacles. Ditto, if the hex was entered (and the engineer or rifle section was not blown up).

Rallying several of the engineers who had poor morale helped, as did pointing multiple engineering assets at the same target hex.

Cheers
Andy
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:30 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thexder said:
I've now played (or tried to play) two assault missions in WinSPMBT. During both games I've encountered problems with mineclearing.

First game was Israel vs. Egypt 1973, an assault over Suez. Well, I was able to cross the Suez but my engineers just didn't clear the mines and dragon teeth on the other side of the canal. They were all "ready" and spent like four turns next to the mines without clearing anything. We were forced to end the game as there was no reason to continue if the mines weren't being cleared.

The second battle was Finland vs. Sweden 2005. My opponent encountered the same problem and we were forced to end the game. The funny thing was that in the same battle my own engineers accidentally cleared some barbed wire. How is this possible?!

It seems that the assault games are unplayable in WinSPMBT. It's very irritating to spent maybe tens of hours in generating the map, purchasing, deploying and moving your troops just to learn that the game is unplayble. I consider this to be the biggest bug in WinSPMBT, which is, apart from this, one of the best games I've ever played. I hope it will be fixed in the upcoming patch.
Were your engineer assets unsupressed?

What experience level were they?

Those alongside the target hex - were they [/b]pointing at the target hex[/b]?.

Try the attached simple test scenario for engineer training (there is only an HQ on the OPFOR side).

1) move engineer assets towards target hexes and point them at the hex (Manual "Mines and Field Engineering", Note No. 2). press end turn a few times to see clearance in action.

2) Now, move assets so you have multiple engineers pointing at the same target hex, press end turn a few times, and see how the clearance rate increases.

Cheers
Andy
Attached Files
File Type: zip 372370-Scen117EngineerTesting.zip (33.6 KB, 140 views)
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

It may be a bit premature but I think I may have found a bug in the mine clearing routines. The rules for mine clearing as we know it are...
1) Be in adjacent hex
2) Face toward the mine
3) Don't be suppressed
4) Don't fire weapons
5) Don't move around a bunch

The bug that I think I noticed involves saved games. Restarting a saved game (Iwo Jima Part 1 DOS SPWW2) yielded no mine clears until I had moved all units away from and back to mines. I am probably wrong. I'll work on finding out if I am right tonight.
Old August 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Private

Thexder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mobhack said:

Were your engineer assets unsupressed?

What experience level were they?

Those alongside the target hex - were they [/b]pointing at the target hex[/b]?.

Try the attached simple test scenario for engineer training (there is only an HQ on the OPFOR side).

1) move engineer assets towards target hexes and point them at the hex (Manual "Mines and Field Engineering", Note No. 2). press end turn a few times to see clearance in action.

2) Now, move assets so you have multiple engineers pointing at the same target hex, press end turn a few times, and see how the clearance rate increases.

Cheers
Andy
I was the attacking side in the 1973 game playing Israel which had a base experience of 80. So experience shouldn't be the problem. My engineers were also unsupressed for four whole turns without moving a bit. They also faced to the mines, so no problems in that either.

Thanks for the test scebario, but I've tested the engineers several times before and after experiencing this bug. In the test scenarios I've built I've never had any problems. And as for the Finland vs. Sweden game, my opponent (the attacker) was experienced player and also found the bug.

I attach a screenshot from the Egypt vs. Israel game. It's somewhat misleading as those engineers have just suffered couple of losses in artillery fire. But before that they were unsupressed and didn't move for four turns.

Is there any explanation for the fact that in the Finland vs. Sweden game my own engineers were able to clear barbed wire and mines but the opponent wasn't?

Cheers,
Jukka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 372430-Miinabugi.jpg (54.1 KB, 142 views)
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Corporal

Shadowcougar is on a distinguished road

I have not had any issue with engineers not clearing mines. I have had mech ing clear mines in the Silver Lions campaign post in this forum.

I haven't tried from a saved game.