BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 11th, 2017, 06:58 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
And the Javelin ATGM is what, precisely?
The Javelin is the primary infantry ATGM in use by the US Army and Marines. It is a lethal weapon, indeed. With regards to guidance systems, it is an imaging IR guided missile. As such, it too is susceptible to high illuminating white light when directed at the missile.

In general, the counter-measure is an attack on the missiles recticle-scan seekers to degrade the image processing homing system.

The Canadians have an interesting stduy from 2007, "Preliminary study of defensive aids suite technology for the armour combat vehicle programme."

the point I was refuting was the statement
Quote:
And, this maybe true as the US Army has over the past two decades failed to fund "Fire and Forget" ATGMs;
The javelin being a prime example of a fire and forget ATGM, after all, and somewhat funded by the US Army...

Anyway - this thread is drifting off into pointlessness.
Old November 11th, 2017, 07:58 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragus View Post
The Maverick and Hellfire missiles are not fire and forget ATGMs?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
And the Javelin ATGM is what, precisely?
The Javelin is the primary infantry ATGM in use by the US Army and Marines. It is a lethal weapon, indeed. With regards to guidance systems, it is an imaging IR guided missile. As such, it too is susceptible to high illuminating white light when directed at the missile.

In general, the counter-measure is an attack on the missiles recticle-scan seekers to degrade the image processing homing system.

The Canadians have an interesting stduy from 2007, "Preliminary study of defensive aids suite technology for the armour combat vehicle programme."

the point I was refuting was the statement
Quote:
And, this maybe true as the US Army has over the past two decades failed to fund "Fire and Forget" ATGMs;
The javelin being a prime example of a fire and forget ATGM, after all, and somewhat funded by the US Army...

Anyway - this thread is drifting off into pointlessness.
The fire and forget missiles were brought up earlier and addressed. My comment on lack of funding was only pertinent to replacing TOWs with wireless missles by the army.

The point is in games terms if I want to author a scenario say in 2023 (sometime in the future) and I edit a platoon of Indian tanks to make them IR counter-measure equipped, I might want to increase the EW rating of the tank. On what realm of possibility would I edit those Indian tanks ? If studies say it is possible to do so.

But, yeah we talked FF missiles in earlier posts.

Old November 11th, 2017, 10:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

I once saw a Dragon (wire guided ATGM) gunner use the wire to his advantage by firing over obstacle and hitting something behind it. Admittedly this is something only an expert could probably do, but it can be done. The same would apply to the wire guided TOW.

Wire guided missiles have one very distinct advantage over the various fire-and-forget systems ... they're MUCH cheaper on a missile-by-missile basis, and cost is a factor. That's why the "best" toys are generally limited to Special Forces types.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old November 12th, 2017, 04:03 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Not checked but most close in defence systems are made up of diffrent parts hard & soft kill or sometimes just soft kill.
Soft kill is the "dazzlers" you speak of, mainly for dazzling the missile could I suppose conceivably effect the firer if they are close enough & the system detects his position. IR smoke is another part of the soft kill option.
Dazzlers work cannot remember who involved but complaints recently from Terrorist organisations that Koronet is going out of control & diving to ground once it nears its target.
The game does or at least it seems to to me take the tech battle into account old ATGM's are far more likely to be defeated than newer ones, may be a factor of their accuracy I dont know but it works well enough.