World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old April 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MRAPs

Usually in cases like this I find the answer 5 minutes after I ask the question but I have been searching for a clear photo or indictor for 20 minutes and have yet to find one.

Can anyone tell me .......is that a 360 degree turret or a forward firing MG with armoured sides ?

Don
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM

Corporal

AMX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Usually in cases like this I find the answer 5 minutes after I ask the question but I have been searching for a clear photo or indictor for 20 minutes and have yet to find one.

Can anyone tell me .......is that a 360 degree turret or a forward firing MG with armoured sides ?

Don
Does this help, or did I mix up the vehicle?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/defence...7625408113758/
And the next image in the gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/defence...7625408113758/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMX For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:39 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MRAPs

Don,
That would be a 360 RO turret capable of mounting up to a. 12.7mm, though I believe the pictures show the UK LMG (7.62mm?). Away on a little R&R with CINCLANTHOME just happened to look in. Didn't see those pics when I went on FLICKR click on lsecond ref of last Post to the Scots Guards w/their HUSKY. Still getting used to this IPad I won, and you'll never guess who never gets to use it!?!
Hope you all have a great week!

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; April 1st, 2012 at 11:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:51 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

I was reading an article about MRAPs which made me want to post the following. Apologies if it is already covered. I don't use MRAPs much if at all. Also perhaps this is the wrong thread for it but hey one titled MRAPs doesn't seem that bad right

Should MRAP class vehicles suffer (suffer even more) movement penalties for moving through any terrain that basically isn't road? High center of gravity is not optimal for offroading. So instead of 2 MP per Clear perhaps 3? 50/50 of getting stuck in Rough with move 1 hex, guaranteed if you move faster. This sort of thing?
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

There has already been some comment that they should be classed 2WD but the discussion didn't go far

Don
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:18 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

The problem would be dessert maps where I would think they would out perform 2WD, otherwise 2WD strikes me as a good option.
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:49 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

Call me crazy but if the only place where they would outperform 2wd is desert, which seems reasonable, then 2wd seems a fair choice.
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MRAPs

I'm afraid the S. Africans for instance would have a hard time with this argument, the CASSPIR Series and the models that proceeded them have a high center of gravity as much for mine protection as the terrain they operate in. With independent four wheel drive and the special suspension units installed, they'll eat a 2WD vehicle for breakfast, lunch and dinner and flush the bolts down the pooper later. Remember a 2x4 is your car in most cases and I don't think you would take it off road except in emergency would you? Granted my car on the paved road would leave a vehicle like the recently discussed HUSKY in the rear view but I have no illusions who would win off the pavement. And you have to bear in mind the power under the hood of these vehicles again the HUSKY has a road speed of 70mph/110km(?). Go to You Tube and watch the videos of the COUGER running at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds then get back to me. What kills me in these discussions are that people forget what these terms sometimes means (Present company excluded.) 2WD=2 wheels driving the rest, while 4x4/or AWD are all the wheels driving. In summary... some of these vehicles are 2WD with "on the fly" AWD options or are full time AWD. Pay attention to the "MOBILITY" and "MANUVERABILITY" sections as you browse the vehicles of your choice. I don't know of many 2WD vehicles that can handle a ~60% gradient or ~40% side slope, that's what an MRAP and TRACKED vehicle will do for you with added protection for your troops and weapons for protection even better then a "soft target" AWD truck. And here's my disclaimer I've used them for "specialized" purposes only, I rather prefer the IFV or APC. With the second ref the MRAPs are at the bottom of the section and I see they've done some updating since I last looked in as well.
http://www.military-today.com/trucks.htm
http://www.military-today.com/apc.htm

Thank you for the opportunity to get off my last unmentionable numbered post it was "creeping" us out before we headed home!?!

Regards,
Pat
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:32 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MRAPs and a couple of general questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Marcello,
Good Morning!
Sorry I didn't explain in more detail but was in the wind down mode from work. To #1. of my crew question: I know surving crew that are unmolested will return after the battle is over in the "repair" phase of a campaign game. However I don't believe this happens when due to ememy fire (or friendly air or arty) the crew takes further casualities and the surviving crew are forced to "disperse".
Concerning #2 I don't believe (and as stated on the first post I could be wrong here.) That again while in the "repair" phase when I "change" to a newer version of an Abrams for example that the current crew mans the the newer version Abrams I just upgraded to. I know this isn't feasible if changing from say a Bradley to an Abrams but should be allowed from Abrams to Abrams so as not to lose the crews exprience level. Again this is in the campaign mode. Hope this helps and thank you for your reply!
Pat
This is a such basic question,it begs a WTF? why you of all,,, are you even asking?
Do you even ever play the game?
Wonders??
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:16 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJazz View Post
Call me crazy but if the only place where they would outperform 2wd is desert, which seems reasonable, then 2wd seems a fair choice.
Call me crazy,but i'm thinking MRAP's are not going to improve any more than are currently,after all they are just big expensive IED resistant trucks,and nothing else special.

Last edited by gila; April 6th, 2012 at 01:24 AM..