BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:06 PM

Sergeant

desh44 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German Biased?

I am in the process of gathering info for a Russian based campaign. Time period would be winter of 1941 when the Russians launched attacks against Army Group North. This will most probably be a fixed core campaign where you will have a few choices to beef up your core force. At this time the forces I am looking is a mixed infantry force of Ski and Cavalry troops with other support troops added for each scenario. This will most probably take a few months time for research and building the maps and mapping out the story line. IF this one goes well I plan another which would center around the offensive following Kursk.

Tom
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:41 AM

Sergeant

Smersh is on a distinguished road

good points DRG. I understand what you are saying, designers have favored the german army for whatever reason. there is a clear misunderstanding by player though, some have said what I called the "german bais" was intentional, and other said it was intentional. I was only pointing out a objective observation.

So, your saying the designers who have created this great game have had a "german bais" or interest as you said, this is the reason for the proportionally large amount of german scenarios, and a "ignoring" of other major nations: Britain, Soviet Union, lesser extent the United state in scenarios.

I'm not trying to give orders to anyone, everyone can agree that addressing some of the other major armies and even minor ones would be an improvement to the game. In, fact when I have more free time (in a few weeks). I will attempt researching a red army campign, and gathering a team, following pyros' suggestion.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

Well how about those guys who did Russian Steel campaign into SPWAW sometimes? It was great campaign, very accurately made maps/battles... Maybe Pyros could try to contact them and start to convert that into WinSPWW2?
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

Warhero,

Russian Steel campaign is truly an excellent campaign!

But my point of view concerning a Russian WinSPWW2 campaign is that if Smersh manage to assemble a Russian team, then the outcome of the Russian project may be better.

I base this remark on the fact that WinSPWW2 CD version is providing very advanced designing tools that most of the users have not yet discovered (since the CD version is not yet released ).

cheers,
Pyros
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mobhack said:
There is a USSR based WW2 campaign in the game. It is the WW2 Long Campaign.
<snip>
Cheers
Andy
And thank you very much to the designers for the long Japanese Campaign starting in China in 1931.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Smersh said:
So, your saying the designers who have created this great game have had a "german bais" or interest as you said, this is the reason for the proportionally large amount of german scenarios, and a "ignoring" of other major nations: Britain, Soviet Union, lesser extent the United state in scenarios.
Actually, the designers of the game are a different group than the designers of the scenarios and campaigns. Most, if not all of the scenarios and campaigns included with the game were designed by individuals not associated with the game designers. The vast majority were created by regular people and submitted to the game designers for inclusion in the game.

Quote:
Smersh said:I'm not trying to give orders to anyone, everyone can agree that addressing some of the other major armies and even minor ones would be an improvement to the game. In, fact when I have more free time (in a few weeks). I will attempt researching a red army campign, and gathering a team, following pyros' suggestion.
I would definately like to follow this projects progress once you get it started. I have several ideas for Red Army projects (and others using the so called "axis minor nations" on the Eastern Front) but translating the small amount of available documents to keep the design as historically accurate as possible make it an almost impossible task to do.

Personally, I would like to see some campaigns designed around the amphibious operation in the Black Sea in 41/42 and operation in front of Moscow in the Winter of 41/42.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Double_Deuce said:
[ I have several ideas for Red Army projects (and others using the so called "axis minor nations" on the Eastern Front) but translating the small amount of available documents to keep the design as historically accurate as possible make it an almost impossible task to do.
The good site about red army in english:
http://battlefield.ru
And site with big number of war memories, dayries, letters and documents in russian:
http://militera.lib.ru
some other russian
http://rkka.ru

and of cause wikipedia have some info.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
serg3d said:
The good site about red army in english:
http://battlefield.ru
And site with big number of war memories, dayries, letters and documents in russian:
http://militera.lib.ru
some other russian
http://rkka.ru
I frequently check the http://rkka.ru site as they are a good source of information. Does anyone know of a good place to get 1:50,000 maps of areas of the Eastern Front? I thought about getting the Moscow map set from HPSSIMS specifically for the purpose of a Moscow area campaign. Of course, it would also require some detailed OOB's of units operating in that area of at least Regiment/Battalion level. Would also need to know locations of thise units to match up with the maps.

Are you volunteering to help out if a project can be started?
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Private

cbblackard is on a distinguished road

I designed a lot of the scenarios for this game over the years and can say the following:

1) Don and Andy never directed what scenario topics should be covered. They pretty much gave scenario designers the freedom to design the scenarios which interested them most. Personally, I believe that has led to more and better scenarios from the designers;

2) I've always been more interested in the German military than the other sides in WWII -- and that relates primarily to the fact that I find German armor to be far cooler than the armor of other nations. That's not to say that JSIIs and T-34/85s aren't cool, but I'm willing to bet that most wargamers/modelers agree with me and are bigger fans of German armor than other nations' armor;

3) Over the past twenty (20) years, there has been a TON of books published relating to the German military in World War II (including the translation of many German unit histories) making it possible to accurately design scenarios from the German point-of-view. Unfortunately, there are very few books from the Soviet point-of-view. Thus, if you are an Eastern Front fan (as I am), it is a breeze to design historically-accurate scenarios from the German point-of-view but next to impossible to design Soviet ones. Hopefully that will change in the future.

CBB
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

And how about converting Lost Victories/Desert Fox/Watchtower megacampaigns into WinSPWW2? Heh it could be too BIG task to anyone...

Just dreaming...