World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road
Confused How to run a pbem in Win 7

Anyone knowledgeable,
I have recently bought a new laptop with win 7 os. I installed winspmbt and can't find the save or pbem folders. I have the cd version. The game runs fine windowed. Can someone show me how to run a pbem game in win 7 step by step? Excuse me for being "techie" challenged. I was used to running winspmbt on an xp machine. I also have NO win vista experience. Any and all helpful advice will be appreciated.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to run a pbem in Win 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Anyone knowledgeable,
I have recently bought a new laptop with win 7 os. I installed winspmbt and can't find the save or pbem folders. I have the cd version. The game runs fine windowed. Can someone show me how to run a pbem game in win 7 step by step? Excuse me for being "techie" challenged. I was used to running winspmbt on an xp machine. I also have NO win vista experience. Any and all helpful advice will be appreciated.
Not having Windows 7 myself, I can only suggest what has been discussed in the various Vista and Windows 7 threads. (Windows 7 is just Vista with a new name, really).

My guess is that since you cannot find any of the game sub-folders, your vista/7 install has done the strange thing that vista/7 seems to do by squirrelling folders away in strange places decided by itself on a seeming whim.

Apparently the cure to this is to install the game outside any of the Vista/Windows 7 'managed' folders, ie Programme Files or whatever Microsoft renamed these to after XP. (This applies to other XP programmes too, not just our game).

Uninstall Windows 7/Vista's failed attempt to install the game. (If the auto uninstall does not work, you may have to do this manually?).

Now try installing your game in its own folder under C: in a new folder you create yourself (call it C:\mygames\spmbt say). Then install all the patches there too - you will have to tell each patch installer where your game is, as they expect the regular \Program Files\Shrapnel Games\... etc.

IF that is the cure then you should now have the proper directory structure in your new folder, and vista/7 should not mess with it then.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

This is mentioned in the last patches information screen. Some versions of Vista, and now apparently Win7 do NOT install the game into the program files folder properly so you need to re-install outside of it.

We used to install the DOS versions into C: but Shrapnel wanted us to set up the windows versions under Program files/ Shrapnel games and it has been a headache for some

Don
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:19 AM

Sergeant

Andy and Don,
Thanks for your advice. I'll follow your instructions and get back with you on my results. Have a merry Xmas guys!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Have both WW2 and MBT installed in a "games" folder on my other disk. Seems that both saves and PBEM files are being located correctly by my Win7.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM

Sergeant

Unhappy Re: How to run a pbem in Win 7

Andy or Don,
I followed your instructions. I did the same for the patches BUT the game is NOT being updated. I mean after the patches are extracted to the spmbt folder the game is still showing version 1.012. Do I have to extract them to a certain folder INSIDE the game itself like game data or other? Any remedy for this new complication?
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:10 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Lets assume you installed the game to a folder you made called games, each patch now has to install to the same path using the browse button on the instaler follow this path once you have highlighted the MBT folder thats the correct path.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Andy or Don,
I followed your instructions. I did the same for the patches BUT the game is NOT being updated. I mean after the patches are extracted to the spmbt folder the game is still showing version 1.012. Do I have to extract them to a certain folder INSIDE the game itself like game data or other? Any remedy for this new complication?
Did you change each patch installer's path to point to your new folder as I said above?:

Quote:
Now try installing your game in its own folder under C: in a new folder you create yourself (call it C:\mygames\spmbt say). Then install all the patches there too - you will have to tell each patch installer where your game is, as they expect the regular \Program Files\Shrapnel Games\... etc.
i.e. in the screen where the installer says "will be installed in the following directory" use the navigator widget to set the target to your new folder, and not the default.

Andy
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM

Sergeant

Thanks everybody,
I was forgetting to unpack the files before extracting them to the game. I tried to extract them straight to the game. I had to laugh at my own boneheadedness...lol. Everything is okay now. Game fully patched up to (4.5).
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM

Sergeant

Another Issue,
The game was running fine until I extracted pbem files to it. Now when I try to start the game it only shows the splash screen BUT will not start. Can a conflict be caused if both people are not using the same os? I have win7 but they have Xp.