.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 29th, 2011, 05:07 AM

Private

marcelteaching is on a distinguished road
Talking 'Stillborn Noobs' Running

Latest News

* Game has been turned over to Tratorix - Check his posts for updates. This post will no longer be updated

Older News

* Mercenaries IN!
* Locked in at 6 Players (3 Teams, no AI) on Tyrande II (no sites) map.
* Used mod changed from 1.83 to 1.84 on the server, link adjusted from 1.6 to 1.84
* Times changed to 36 hours, effective immediately.
* What a noob - finally figured out what 'quickhost' is.
* Turns have been rewound due to technical problems. Your turn one files have been simply replayed. See the end of the post for reasons. You will be unaffected unless you already sent in a turn 2, in which case, you simply repeat that.

CBM 1.84

3 Teams have been locked in, to keep things moving quickly.

Settings :

* Map: Tyrande II no sites
* Mods: CBM 1.84 (download here http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=774519 and extract to mods directory)
* Middle Age
* Score graphs on
* Hall of fame size 15
* Renaming on
* All other settings on default
* Turns will be every 36 hours, can be adjusted later (to 24 or other)when we all agree to
* 8 nations, four human teams of two humans each
* Victory will be decided when everyone wants to end it or someone kills off all the other players
* It will be PBEM on Llama Serve. Please be patient first few turns until I figure this all out
* Note : Select from the following nations only: Arcoscephale, Pythium, Ulm, Man, Marignon, Mictlan, Pangaea, T`ien Ch`i, Machaka, Agartha, Caelum, C'tis, Vanheim, Jotunheim, Bandar Log or Eriu. (Selected nations presently taken, but can be changed at will before game start)
* Nations can be changed at will until we all start.
* Ocean players are not possible on the selected map (no start positions).
* Pretenders can be uploaded NOW. Game is called "stillbornnoobs" at http://www.llamaserver.net/index.cgi Full information about joining a game are here --> http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...318#post529318
* AI has been scrapped

Other issues

* Treachery against team buddy prohibited until you are the final two and want to see who will be the last to stand (by mutual consent only)
* Trade agreements must be kept (item/gem swaps) between all players
* Team buddy should sub if there is an issue, there will be no extensions for any reason
* Admin password will be passed on if I am knocked out (statistically highly likely)

1 TEAM 1 SLOT - Marcelteaching - Pangea
2 TEAM 1 SLOT - Aaminoff - Machaka

3 TEAM 2 SLOT - Tratorix - Vanheim
4 TEAM 2 SLOT - Horrorfend - Arcoscephale

5 TEAM 3 SLOT - Nttea - C'tis
6 TEAM 3 SLOT - Kuketski - Pythium

Suit newer players, you will have a team buddy to help you

To 'do it all', do the following : (Summary from links)

Uploading a pretender

- Make sure you have the same mods enabled as the game you're playing in (CBM 1.83 Preferences->Mod Preferences)
- Go to Game Tools -> Create a pretender god in Dominions. Don't set a password, since for PBEM games they're not helpful and occasionally annoying (e.g. if you need a sub)
- Go to the savedgames/newlords folder in the dominions directory, and find your pretender file (e.g. mid_pythium_0.2h)
- E-mail the file to: pretenders[ at ]llamaserver[ dot ]net
- Crucially, you must have the game name "stillbornnoobs" in the subject line of your e-mail. A few minutes later you should get a confirmation e-mail, and if you check the website you should find your nation added to the list of nations which have joined the game. If later you think of an improvement to your pretender, you can send it in again. Provided the game hasn't actually started the server will accept your revised pretender, and send you an e-mail to say so.

Taking a turn

- Create a directory for the game. Go to your dominions3 directory, open the 'savedgames' folder, and then within savedgames create a new folder called "stillbornnoobs" e.g. 'dominions3\savedgames\stillbornnoobs'.

When the game starts, you will be sent a trn file. You need to put this in the game folder you just created. You'll then be able to play your turn as normal using the 'Play an existing game' option in Dominions.

Once you've taken your turn and hit 'End turn', you should find a 2h file in the same directory that you put your trn file in. It'll have a name along the lines of 'mid_machaka.2h' (depending obviously on the age and the nation you're playing). This is the file that contains your orders, and you then need to email it to turns@llamaserver.net

Within a few minutes you should get a receipt e-mail from the server. You can also see who's taken their turns and when the deadline is by looking at the website - www.llamaserver.net.

If you decide to change your moves you can send a revised turn in to the server, and it will use the file it received most recently from you. It'll send you an e-mail to say so too.

Won't be long now before we get started!

Last edited by marcelteaching; July 4th, 2011 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Updated
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:36 PM

Private

desvolack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP Noob Game for 4 Players OPEN

i will play vanheim
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP 'Stillborn Noobs' Game 4/6 Slots Open (CBM_Still)

I'd like to give Abysia a whirl
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Disregard last post; I just discovered that Abysian PD is actually pretty weak (only one unit per point), so my intended strategy won't work.

If I think of another strategy I'll join in, otherwise, consider me out.
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Private

You can do something like team up with a buddy to compliment your strengths, and honestly, we are all very new to this, so I would not worry about a 'perfect strategy' or pretender.

We are all pretty unlikely to be good, but I will leave you off until you confirm.

Seranim
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road

Dude, I am afraid that someone started your game already.(if it is the 9924 one)some random T'ien Ch'i guy joined it. What I suggest is send him a message ingame and invite him to join you on the forums and for a game.
Basically what you can do, and will be safer(no random guys will join) is to make a game at llamaserver(PBEM)
Also another suggestion(unless you insist on the cbm 1.6 vesion) is to play the latest cbm.(If you did that I will join and give you guys the advice I can(I am still relatively new to the game I have 4 games of experience and couple of blitzes))

Edit: Oh and if you insist on playing through the Dom3minions server, and you don't want people to join your game randomly you can wait till you have 6 players and then create the game and appoint a day where all of them must upload their pretenders and start the game.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Private

Thumbs up Re: MP 'Stillborn Noobs' Game 4/6 Slots Open (CBM_Still)

Quote:
Also another suggestion(unless you insist on the cbm 1.6 vesion) is to play the latest cbm.(If you did that I will join and give you guys the advice I can(I am still relatively new to the game I have 4 games of experience and couple of blitzes))

That sounds great! The reason I did notgo with the latest version is because it was not supported on the other server. we will switch to Llamaserve and organise it from there.

BBZ, can you suggest a suitable map that would work with approximately 4-6 people? We want to keep it fairly small, I would think, and any other suggestions that would improve what we are doing here, and also, any information you have about the process would be helpful, I would think...

Last edited by marcelteaching; May 30th, 2011 at 10:03 PM..
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:53 AM

Sergeant

tratorix is on a distinguished road

I'll join as mictlan.
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:15 AM

Private

Tratorix, House-rules are only Arcoscephale, Agartha, Atlantis, Caelum, C'tis, Ermor, Helheim, Kailasa, Maverni, Niefelheim, Oceania, Pangaea, R'lyeh, Sauromatia, T`ien Ch`i, Tir na n'Og,Ulm, Vanheim or Yomi.

2nd choice?
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:21 AM

Sergeant

tratorix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelteaching View Post
Tratorix, House-rules are only Arcoscephale, Agartha, Atlantis, Caelum, C'tis, Ermor, Helheim, Kailasa, Maverni, Niefelheim, Oceania, Pangaea, R'lyeh, Sauromatia, T`ien Ch`i, Tir na n'Og,Ulm, Vanheim or Yomi.

2nd choice?
Oops, thats what I get for skimming the OP. I'll take Maverni then.