.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 16th, 2013, 09:01 PM

Private

Yurasis_Dragon is on a distinguished road
Potion A couple of General Questions

Hi Guys/Gals

I am relatively new to this game and have a couple of questions

1) How does one get started in multi-player games? Where do you go? How is it signed up?

2) Regarding bless effects, do the effects change as the level of a god changes? Fore example, say a good begins the game with a Nature magic level of 3. No bless effect due to nature, correct? Now, if he picks up a Thistle Mace, it is boosted to N4. Does he now get the minor bless Nature effects? Another example, say you have a god with A(s)tral 7 and put on a Ring of Wizardry which boosts everything including astral. He is now and S8, same as before, does the boost effect change? Lastly, what if you empower the god does that change the bless or not?

3) Reinvigouration. How does this work. Do units (or leaders, especially mages) get a set amount of reinvigoration each combat round or is it just gone once the 100 fatigue points are gone?

4) Communions. I will start with a base communion, 2 Masters & 4 Slaves.

Boosts, under this circumstance, the masters have a 2 lvl increase. Am I correct in understanding that only a applies to paths they already have? So if you have F0 (no fire path) you do not suddenly become an F2 mage, correct?

Also, any spell you cast, will have the fatigue spread among the 4 slaves, correct? So if you cast a spell that ordinarily costs 100 fatigue, you now throw the spell at no cost to you and each of the slaves pick up 25 fatigue, right? Does this change if the slave does not have the correct path, or is it wholly irrelevant (I think the latter).

Also, am I correct in understanding that if my communion master has an F2 level, the communion will move him up to F4. Moreover, if he casts and F2 spell that costs 100 fatigue, his paths will cut his fatigue to [1/(1+{4-2})] one third (1/3) to 33, which will then be split among the slave to the tune of about 8 fatigue each correct?
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:45 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A couple of General Questions

1. Usually a thread is started for the game in the multiplayer subforum on one of the forums. You have a multiplayer subforum here, and also at dom3mods and Desura. There are some other smaller communities as well, but those 3 are the largest. the IRC channel #dominions at irc.gamesurge.net is a good place to get quick answers and play blitz games and duels.

2. Only the magic levels bought originally when designing your god counts towards bless. So you'll always have the same bless the entire game regardless what happens to your god either way.

3. Units with no special reinvigoration abilities, items or spell effects only reinvigorate when doing nothing during their combat turn, and then they reinvigorate 10 fatigue. This typically only happens when they are above 100 fatigue, and does nothing because they are unconscious. Keeping fatigue down with reinvigorating items, earth bless and spells is a key skill in multiplayer, especially for thugs and SCs.

i don't have time to answer question 4 now.
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:47 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention the Something awful community, they have a large and active group of dom3 player as well, and their own irc channel.

As for how to sign up for a game, it should be evident from the thread title if the game is recruiting, and the first post should state any special requirements as well as the type of server ( pbem or DC ), any further detailed questions you should ask the admin of that game.
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be a lot easier to answer your questions if they weren't in that crazy unreadable font.

This Machine Kills Fascists
The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral_Aorta For This Useful Post:
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Yeah sorry, not looking at this due to the crazy font.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hi Guys/Gals

I am relatively new to this game and have a couple of questions

1) How does one get started in multi-player games? Where do you go? How is it signed up?

2) Regarding bless effects, do the effects change as the level of a god changes? Fore example, say a good begins the game with a Nature magic level of 3. No bless effect due to nature, correct? Now, if he picks up a Thistle Mace, it is boosted to N4. Does he now get the minor bless Nature effects? Another example, say you have a god with A(s)tral 7 and put on a Ring of Wizardry which boosts everything including astral. He is now and S8, same as before, does the boost effect change? Lastly, what if you empower the god does that change the bless or not?

3) Reinvigouration. How does this work. Do units (or leaders, especially mages) get a set amount of reinvigoration each combat round or is it just gone once the 100 fatigue points are gone?

4) Communions. I will start with a base communion, 2 Masters & 4 Slaves.

Boosts, under this circumstance, the masters have a 2 lvl increase. Am I correct in understanding that only a applies to paths they already have? So if you have F0 (no fire path) you do not suddenly become an F2 mage, correct?

Also, any spell you cast, will have the fatigue spread among the 4 slaves, correct? So if you cast a spell that ordinarily costs 100 fatigue, you now throw the spell at no cost to you and each of the slaves pick up 25 fatigue, right? Does this change if the slave does not have the correct path, or is it wholly irrelevant (I think the latter).

Also, am I correct in understanding that if my communion master has an F2 level, the communion will move him up to F4. Moreover, if he casts and F2 spell that costs 100 fatigue, his paths will cut his fatigue to [1/(1+{4-2})] one third (1/3) to 33, which will then be split among the slave to the tune of about 8 fatigue each correct?
That's better.

This Machine Kills Fascists
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Aorta View Post
Quote:
That is correct. Secondary effects of paths booster spells (such as the reinvigoration part of the earth booster) do get applied to the slaves.

Quote:
Quote:
I do not know, there is a complex formula for this iirc the slaves get some boost from having the correct path but not sure. Look for the communion guide from baalz, the formula is mostly correct.

One minor thing, slaves get spell fatigue + encumberance spellcasting fatigue. Iirc (might be wrong).

Quote:
Quote:
That's better.
I don't think that this is totally correct. Please look at the guides.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Private

Yurasis_Dragon is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: A couple of General Questions

Aorta,

Thanks, I was just playing with the fonts. Misspelled a number of words as well.

So, the bless can't be improved is my understanding.

And yes, you did read it, so I gotcha' anyway. But seriously, thanks for the answers.