.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Liked the Necromancer report. Gives a good impression about what's about to come and how it plays. Very nice.
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:36 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

Excuse me, hoping this place might be right for this question:

I love Dominions3 for my multiplayer itch, and find it vastly suboptimal for my single-player needs. Am I right in understanding that COE3 is almost the other way around? That is, it is designed as a single-player game and will come with a dedicated, halfway challenging AI? Or am I mistaken? Any verbose discourse on the AI / SP-applicability of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:16 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkhanTheBlack View Post
Liked the Necromancer report. Gives a good impression about what's about to come and how it plays. Very nice.
If you liked the Necro AAR so far, you're going to love the latest update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onomastikon View Post
Excuse me, hoping this place might be right for this question:

I love Dominions3 for my multiplayer itch, and find it vastly suboptimal for my single-player needs. Am I right in understanding that COE3 is almost the other way around? That is, it is designed as a single-player game and will come with a dedicated, halfway challenging AI? Or am I mistaken? Any verbose discourse on the AI / SP-applicability of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You came to the right place to ask, yes. And you're correct on all counts. CoE3 is much more a SP game, but it also has excellent multiplayer capabilities if you like to set up an MP game with a couple of friends. The MP side is very much blitz, but SP is challenging and each of the 17 (so far) classes has a separately programmed AI.

Gandalf can discuss the AI in more detail, since he has paid more attention to that side, but since there are separate AIs, they usually know what they are doing and can be surprisingly competent. I've gotten steamrolled a few of times even by level 4 (out of 10) AI and if you ramp it up much more than that (depending on what you play yourself), you're going to get smashed to pulp.
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

As Edi pointed out, each nation has a unique AI playing to that nations strengths and faults. In Dom3 there was one generic nation trying to work the same for all nations. Yes the AI definitely makes a challenging enemy. On the other hand, you can also team up with the AI. It makes a surprisingly competent ally. Its best to pick a nation that does not have the same resource requirements that you do.

I really doubt there will be much play of a human vs all maximum AIs in this game. But it could be fun to ally all against one max AI.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:11 AM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

I wonder why CoE3 should be more for single player than multi player in comparison to Dom3.
Usually, games with a faster pace are better for MP because they don't take so long.
Especially if CoE3 has a good AI, it would be perfect for cooperative MP games vs. the AI.

I only tried Don3 in MP once, and I found the independent server setup quite irritating. In addition, the server crashed every round and it only worked because the game was also saved every round and could be reloaded.

An easier (and more stable) multiplayer setup than Dom3 would be nice.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:40 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Its hard to make a full judgement. Most of the beta testers seem more solo than mp oriented. The strongly MP and Balance people that were invited have not provided much. I am biased toward Solo but it seems to me that the game-changing events are stronger in CoE3 than Dom3 which can tick off MPers who want to win by skill rather than luck.

But yeah we will have to wait and see how things play out once the game is released.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

Thilock_Dominus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok-X View Post
So i need Desura to play it ?
No, you don't need Desura to play it (or any other games you got from desura).
Inside the Desura folder you'll find binaries/scripts that you can launch outside Desura.

But you need to launch desura to get updates etc. etc.

<=== pre-ordered today!

Nosophoros: The Vampire Lords - v1.02
Conquest of Elysium 3 GUI mods
Old January 31st, 2012, 12:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Arkhan, I suppose that yes, CoE3 can be better also as MP. setting up a server is not difficult and once it's been set up, nearly everything transfers over to the players.

The manual has instructions on the server setup and connection stuff too.

MP is stable and if you drop out, you can reconnect after a small interval (the server needs to realize you've dropped out).
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:15 PM

Private

CoyoteTheClever is on a distinguished road

I preordered a while ago, mistakenly thinking at the time it would give me access to the beta. I don't mind though, but wow, the game looks awesome from the AARs I've seen and I can't wait. I'm a big fan of Dominions 3 too.

Anyways, have you guys contacted RockPaperShotgun about the game yet? This is the sort of game people at that site love, and it always seems to help sales for indie projects like this.
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTheClever View Post
have you guys contacted RockPaperShotgun about the game yet? This is the sort of game people at that site love, and it always seems to help sales for indie projects like this.
Thank you yes. There are already two threads about CoE3 there.

But if you think of any others, feel free to mention them.