Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old August 30th, 2016, 06:23 PM

Private

JohnS is on a distinguished road
Default A Few More Quick Questions

As I said in my earlier post, just getting back to SP after a 20 year layoff and really enjoying it. Also, let me thank everyone who answered my earlier "Quick Questions". I have now looked much more deeply beyond the initial manual pages and see that many of my questions were answered deep within the documentation and I do thank you guys for your courtesy and "tolerance". Hopefully these questions are not as basic.

re "Cover" - I read the manual and (I think) all of the posts. Let me ask about your experiences with Cover

1) Does it seem to reduce the friendly unit's line of sight in any manner? (I know it has the possibility of hiding the friendly unit from the enemy LOS).
2) Does it seem to affect or reduce the unit's opportunity fire - either the amount or the decision to fire?
3) Any effect on the reception of artillery fire - less damage?
4) If the unit has fired upon an enemy unit and thus "targeted" that unit, does it seem to lose the target by going to cover?
5) Any effect on the unit's present or subsequent suppression that you can see?

Also - when I look at the screen and see that my unit can see 5 enemy units, is there any way (Hot Key?) to scroll through the enemy units to identify exactly which units are seen? I tried the "T" key but it seems to stop at the nearest unit and not go beyond. Am I missing something?

Also - tank riders - is there a time frame within which this can and cannot be done - example - Germans cannot do it before 1944?

Thanks for any help.
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:18 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Few More Quick Questions

Hiya,

I think you may get some answers from this very useful table produced by Cross.

1. Cover will completely block LOS when it gets above 30 "density" (cumulative) or if it is 4 "levels" higher. Looking out from cover doesn't affect your LOS - looking THROUGH it is the problem.
2. Opportunity fire decisions are made purely on whether the target unit is visible and whether shots are left(small chance when there are none).
3. Some terrain types do lessen the effect of incoming artillery (soft sand, mud, snow(?), etc)
4. If the target goes to cover yes - if the firer does depends on a bunch of other stuff
5. I don't believe so, other than troops are less likely to flee from cover.

(6.) Once you have pressed T(arget) use the N(ext) and P(revious) keys to cycle through visible targets. (useful keys are displayed on the tool bar at right of screen).
(7.) As long as the vehicle has the carry capacity it can carry troops - no artificial time constraints e.g. the Panzer II (unit#002) has a carry of 6 meaning it can have 6 tank riders in 1937!

Hope this helps.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

1) Not really, terrain shape is what limits your LOS. Beware of terrain such as high grass, that has sudden height changes. Keep in mind that clear forests allow to see even 2-3 hexes into them.
2) Could be. AI resigns from returning fire if chances are obviously very low or they cannot see the shooter
3) Usually. Yes. If its cover, not concealment. There is a good sheet showing cover efficiency on various terrain
4) AFAIK yes. It can also loose target when firing at different unit while making opportunity fire
5) Suppression rises slower in cover. But it's a bit sloopy sometimes

"T" button for target, then "N" or "P" for next and previous visible target.

Tank riders can ride a tank if tank's carry capacity is same or greater than carry cost of tank rider unit. Select bigger tanks, that should do the trick.
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:34 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Slight amendment to point 2 reaction fire.
The cover a unit is in can have a minor effect on reaction fire. Reaction fire especialy vs vehicles takes into account the chance to hit (also damage chance & threat level).
In some instances the unit may not fire if its chances of a hit are limited.
Very limited though whether the units move & suppresion status are farmore likely to effect the outcome.
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:01 PM

Private

JohnS is on a distinguished road

My question re "Cover" was may not have been clear. My questions relate to when you have used the "C" key to tell your unit to take Cover. Each question assumes that you have told the unit to take Cover.
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:01 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Hardly use but you can test most easily yoursel.
1 for example press the unit view key then take cover & press again
3 & 5 would be difficult to ascertain
2 if do manualy costs a movement point so yes if that reduces number of shots available reduces shots available for reaction fire.
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:01 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

OOOPS sorry.

First of all pressing C to take cover only works for infantry but:
1. No
2. No (except it will have "used" some shots)
3. No
4. No (not normally)
5. No

I think most folks use it only in emergencies where they are caught in the open by previously unseen enemies so you are unlikely to be returning fire etc as you want to remain hidden/in cover.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:44 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

If you want to know how effective pressing the "c" key might be, then review in your mind all the times the OPFOR has taken cover as a reaction to your firing. It is the same mechanism but made available as a voluntary action at a cost in MP (and therefore shots available).

Some enemy troops who take cover due to your fire will go hidden, but some will show up again. Some wont even blink out before being re-aquired. It depends on range to them, what cover they are in, and the experience of the spotter(s) and the hider too. And the spotters suppression level as well. And how many hexes the ducking unit has gone this turn (moving faster means easier to spot, as well as for non-vehicles, more vulnerable to fire). And also - has the ducking unit fired (units who have fired are easier to spot, as with movement). is there smoke around? - smoke lowers spotting chances.

So
- out in the open, poor chance
- lots of nearby experienced unsuppressed enemy spotters poor

It's unlikely to work at say 2 hexes distance to several unsuppressed spotters. But if in visibility of 3-4 (and no night fighting aids for the spotters) - may well work. A sniper in rough terrain or a building or woods and 10-12 hexes away from enemy may well get away with it.

- Spotting is more difficult, the longer the range
- Spotting stuff in terrain cover is more difficult
- Spotting things at >=50% of visibility (vision for night gear) is more difficult
- Spotting near the limit of current visibility (or N/F gear range) is also less effective. So if vision is say 40 and your target at 38, its on the edge of visibility.

The C key is therefore not a magic invisibility cloak, but an "Oh Sugar!" emergency action. In SP - popping a smoke grenade (if you have one, and the MP left to do so) is a better prospect.

There is no status message to you as the owner to let you know that your dive for cover actually worked or not. As with real life, you only would know if the enemy stops firing at you. If you take cover then try to move the unit to some covering terrain and he fires at you again - your take cover attempt may have failed, or perhaps the subsequent movement re-acquired you to him..