.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 9th, 2011, 01:47 AM

Private

sidhos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for upgrade of AI

I don't know what happens in anyone else's games, but the AI in my games, starts the game with immediate knowledge of my location and makes a beeline to me. And when I say immediate, I mean immediate. In a straight line, the same number or provinces as turns have passed, which means it didn't scout for me first. It knew.

Secondly, the AI never fights other AI. They all come for me, like it is a team game or something, and almost never fight each other. I can make a 600 province map, only 4 AI opponents and by turn 15, I'll be surrounded by at least three of them.

The odd thing is, they get to my "border" and then hesitate. No killer instinct. Many times, I just scratch my head and wonder why the AI didn't attack as a turn passes.
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhos View Post
I don't know what happens in anyone else's games, but the AI in my games, starts the game with immediate knowledge of my location and makes a beeline to me. And when I say immediate, I mean immediate. In a straight line, the same number or provinces as turns have passed, which means it didn't scout for me first. It knew.

Secondly, the AI never fights other AI. They all come for me, like it is a team game or something, and almost never fight each other. I can make a 600 province map, only 4 AI opponents and by turn 15, I'll be surrounded by at least three of them.

The odd thing is, they get to my "border" and then hesitate. No killer instinct. Many times, I just scratch my head and wonder why the AI didn't attack as a turn passes.
That has never been the case for me. Are you sure you aren't playing Starcraft, or maybe Civilization V?
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:35 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

CBM greatly improves the arena prize. Makes it worth fighting for.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:40 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Sidhos:

Do you use PD? As little as 11 PD will cause the AI to pause.

Are you playing in open games on Dom3Minions? Some of those purposely ally the AIs against you
http://www.dom3minions.com/HostedGames.htm

Ive rarely had the AI beeline me. In fact it doesnt tend to know where I am. It declares war based on finding you, or your standing on the scoreboard,
Of course some nations are quicker at finding you than others,
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Private

Quote:
That has never been the case for me. Are you sure you aren't playing Starcraft, or maybe Civilization V?
lol No, never played Starcraft and I loved the Civ series right up to the fifth one. Just can't get into it. Maybe Dominions has spoiled me with such a wide variety of nations and options.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Gandalf, yes, I use PD. Typically I place 10 in every province I conquer, then start placing 20 when I see the first enemy.

I've tested the beeline thing. It doesn't happen 100 percent, but it happens very often. Sent a scout back along the line that the AI traveled. It never strayed from a straight course to me. Usually I leave the AI "personality" as random. Maybe this is the aggressive behavior?
----------------------------------------------------------

Just for the record, I'm not complaining that the AI is too hard, as I have noticed many of the things you guys complain about. My only challenge with the AI is probably my own doing. I like to have very solid armies in EVERY border province, which can get expensive on a large map, so I tend to expand slower than what I read about in the guides.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

Mightypeon is on a distinguished road

From what I understand, Ai bases its attack decision on the scoreboard.
If an AI gets a hard one on you, it will attack.
However, AI vs. AI wars happen, however, an AI will be relucant to attack someone if it is already fighting somebody else.
Mercs seem to have a big impact on whom the AI focuses on.
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf, yes, I use PD. Typically I place 10 in every province I conquer, then start placing 20 when I see the first enemy.
I recall reading 11 PD is recognized more than 10 PD... and 21 PD more than 20 PD and so on by increments of ten. I think it was research from Gandalf.

Quote:
I've tested the beeline thing. It doesn't happen 100 percent, but it happens very often. Sent a scout back along the line that the AI traveled. It never strayed from a straight course to me. Usually I leave the AI "personality" as random. Maybe this is the aggressive behavior?
It would be interesting to see how an AI opponent expands and behaves with the different personalities where the scales, pretender, starting location, nation and map were all the same.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:38 AM

Private

Thanks for that input about the PD. So, if I'm reading you right, I can just spend the money on 11 PD and the AI will view it as 20, as far as being a deterrent? I know I have to spend 20 to get 20, but the AI sees 11 as 20? and 21 as 30? etc.
Old September 15th, 2011, 01:18 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for that input about the PD. So, if I'm reading you right, I can just spend the money on 11 PD and the AI will view it as 20, as far as being a deterrent? I know I have to spend 20 to get 20, but the AI sees 11 as 20? and 21 as 30? etc.
That is how it works. That said, the AI is so dumb that PD is actually a worthwhile defensive weapon against it.
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think that depends on which AI you get. Defensive, General, or Aggressive.
And it generally doesnt stop at PD. It just decides that Indept provinces would be better. Once the map is fully taken, it will attack. Setting Indept strength lower in a game will cause a more aggressive AI

Of course thats all for vanilla AI.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)