.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Private

sidhos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mod v1.92

I am at my g/f's house and d/l'ed the 1.92 and added the files to the mod folder. Previously, the game was strictly vanilla on this computer. I enable the mod. Go to game tools-create pretender-middle ages,,, game crashes, small message box pops up about bad #selectweapon command
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road

The Yomi with Fire resistance have it because they have innate Fire magic, not because they're used to a hot climate...that's why only the Yomi that can Throw Flames have FR. And there are cold-aspected demons too, so I'm not sure that Heat-1 makes much sense. As they are now, because many of their units have Fire resist, you can probably get away with taking Heat-3 without so many repercussions, but it isn't their native heat preference.

Why should Sorcerers get Air magic baseline instead of Death, thematically? I mean, we are talking about "a dark magician who has chosen to serve an Oni King to gain power". Sounds pretty dark/death-y, not air-focused.

You have an excellent point though about Hannya overshadowing Sorcerers. Perhaps a small price decrease(they are very old, after all) or a research bonus of 1 would make them comparatively more attractive, because right now they simply aren't better researchers than Hannya.

As an aside, I made a practice game with Yomi and my first Dai Oni was A2, heh.
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Corporal

Deathblob is on a distinguished road

Well, the Hannya does have the demon and cold-blooded traits, which can be disadvantages (End of Culture and End of Weakness are not nice to Hannyas.

in M1:
Sorc = 115G/6R = 19, Hannya = 200G/8R = 25
in D2:
Sorc = 115G/4R = 28, Hannya = 200G/6R = 33

So sorcs are always cheaper researchers.

In addition, they have totally different paths. You're not going to cast many army buffs (or debuffs) with a Hannya. Hannya are really only better at battlefield evo (unless you are up to RoS, only a Dai Oni or a EA sorc with boots can do that), and maybe making undead archers. Yomi has great thugs, there's not much point in using Hannya as thug mages, any item you make is better off on a Shura or Dai Oni.
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:16 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

sidhos: Have you patched dom3 to the latest version?
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Private

llama: Thanks, I'll give that a check.
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Private

llama: That fixed it. Thank you. I THOUGHT I had the latest patch but obviously didn't. D'oh
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM

Private

BrodieSWR is on a distinguished road

Before I begin, getting an Air 2 Dai Oni on your first turn is like winning the lottery.

They have a 25% chance of coming with Air 1. Air 2 is another 10% x 25%. So that would be:

1/4 x 1/4 x 1/10 = 1/160

That means that 1 out of every 160 Dai Onis will have Air 2.

Yeah. Real dependable.

Getting back on topic, I think that maybe the Heat Scale 1 change wouldn't be a good thing on second thought. My main reason was the fact that they hail from a volcano and the netherworld. But, now that I think about it, they also consist of many humans and bakemono, who don't care for it either.

However, I still believe sorcerers need a change.

I have played Yomi a lot. And by a lot, I mean a lot. I test them all the time because I love their theme, and people tend to treat them as "weak" and I enjoy the challenge of trying to make them shine.

I have only joined the forums recently, but I have down many test games in private through e-mail with my brother, LongBrodie, and in singleplayer.

From my tests, I can tell you, without a doubt, that Yomi has some serious issues holding them back:

1) Sorcerers die from old age in DROVES. While they are better researchers monetarily, it doesn't really pay off later when they are dying before you get your money's worth out of them.

2) Yomi needs the Growth Scale to support the Sorcerers. Yet, Yomi has a very, very limited selection of Pretenders, and none that are thematic. Their ability to take Growth is only viable if they take a scale-monster as their Pretender, which isn't very useful as they need magical diversity to support their redundant mages.

3) Yomi needs Air magic. They need it. Without it, they are severly limited in their capacity to fight certain nations. They become a one trick pony that is very, very easily countered. Air alleviates this problem somewhat, opening them up to flying sacred Tengu and other wonderful spells.

My main argument is that giving them the ability to have Air 2 would free up the Pretender to get other magic or other scales, such as Growth, which would in turn allow them to support the sorcerers. There would be nothing stopping you from taking Air anyway, but it wouldn't be an absolute necessity.

I can sit here and argue this into the ground or until I am blue in the face with theorycrafting all I want, but I recommend you guys check out the mod and play a few games with it and tell me if you think it is "overpowered" or not by seeing for yourselves.

I just ask that you please, please consider them in comparison with other powerhouses such as Hinnom, Sauromatia, Mictlan and Niefelheim.
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM

Corporal

Deathblob is on a distinguished road

Try a sleeping Dom6 E6S4 Lord of Plenty, O3S1H1G1L3M1. Bakemono hordes are great for initial expansion. Actually, they are great after expansion too.

You will get more A than your initial income from events/A1 sites/cross-path sites, and if you want A2 to get into A through Dai Tengus, empower an A1 Dai Oni.

If you're really against empowering, forge a RoW with your god. It'll make it easier to advance in N & W too, if you don't find nice indies like Jade Amazons.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road

You'll want the RoW anyways eventually--slap one on a Dai Tengu and you suddenly have enough for air boosters.

But yeah--worst-case scenario, you have to spend 30 air gems getting an A2 Dai Oni.
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:20 PM

Corporal

Morla is on a distinguished road

Hi all, i try to play a bit with Niefelheim EA but when i try to recruit, black screen and---"myloasmalloc: can´t open./mods/./Worthy_heroes/niefel_Jarls_1.tga", btw i am new to mods...