.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

View Poll Results: Will World War 3 happen any time relatively soon??
Hell no. 15 68.18%
Yep. 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 17th, 2006, 05:26 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default OT: World War 3...

So, as the title suggests, this thread is about predictions for the future, especially any future large-scale wars which may erupt. I'll put it in poll form, with comments most welcome if you so desire.

Essentially this was inspired by the latest happenings in the Middle East, which seem to be a little more intense than the usual. It seems to me as though this little war could have the potential to grow into something much more...

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: World War 3...

I hate to say this, but IRAN and those damn idiots from Hesbola (sp) are just looking for a fight at the expense of all the inocent folks in that region. How do you combat such an evil thing? China and Russa are protecting IRAN, for oil, and revealing in the delima that the US has managed to get itself stuck in. Hell Russa loves to see us on the defensive when it comes to terrorism, and China would love nothing more than to see us fail.

There is too much money involved in world politics now for there ever to be another world war. If there is one, it would be an economic war and not a military one.
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:32 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Here's how I see things progressing:

- Israel invades Lebanon on the ground, says it's just defending it's sovereignty and trying to root out the terrorist Hezbollah.
- Syria joins in on Lebanon's side, with Iran joining a little later.
- Now it's Israel against Lebanon, Syria and Iran. Israel can't take that much punishment, so it calls on it's allies in the region and around the world to help out...the US included. This would leave the US in quite the dilemma. Do you help the state that you've supported militarily for the past 60 years, or do you stand back and see what happens when the dust settles?
- Some of Israels allies join in, followed by a whole bunch of the Arabic nations in the area.
- War spreads all over...

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Personally I find that both sides have committed great evils in the past, but today more and more I tend to believe that Israel is in the wrong. A topic I could waffle on about for paragraphs, but I'll spare the thread an undignified death like most political ones.

Here's the journal of a group of humanitarian workers in Israel and their experiences, It might open your eyes some of the situation over there. http://moomin13.livejournal.com/

My ‘polite’ opinion is that Israel has crossed too many lines here, and their attack has escalated way out of proportion. Not that they need to worry.

It's always makes my brain hurt to read that the US supported sanctions against North Korea after a failed missile test yet is against a ceasefire in this situation.
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

I have been of the opinion for some years now that WWIII has already begun. It might not be the apocalyptic war people have dreaded for 60 years but the war on terrorism does encompass the globe. As for the middle east, yeah what with the way things have been going for the last few years I certainly wouldn't be surprised if things went downhill and a major war broke out.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Corporal

Dizzy is on a distinguished road

nostradamus freaked everyone out about his chillingly close 'city of York burning at 45 degrees'... NY is actually 350 miles south I think, but screw its close enough... And the 'royal brothers war against another'... some people have the twin towers on this one, and then 'In the year 1999 and seven months, from the skies shall come an alarming powerful king', who knows, mb that's Bush. haha.

But good ole Nostro also spoke of a 27 year war right round 1999. I think that started with the whole terrorist attacks and then the Iraq invasion and declaration of war on terrorism. Not exact, but screw it, its close enough. And will end who knows when, but the world is at the brink of another world war whether we know it or not.

Its very complex. Religion, political, economic, military... there's a bit of all of it that involves many a nation and the UN isnt going to do diddly about solving any of it. It will come down to bombs and tanks...

When the dust settles... N. korea, Iran and possibly all the middle east muslim nations shall be laid wasted. That's what I think is gonna happen. And somehow... thru it all... Israel will still be there.

Edit: Just wanted to say that I think the US should go into Iran, Iraq and all the middle east countries that have lotsa oil and take em over. Er the oil. I mean, they just need to be explained to that just because the oil happens to be in their country doesnt mean it belongs to them... So the US sets it up so everyone gets 50 cent a gallon gas. Cept France. They get 99 cent gas. Screw em.
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Brigadier General

TerranC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
- Israel invades Lebanon on the ground, says it's just defending it's sovereignty and trying to root out the terrorist Hezbollah.
Already happened once a long time ago and that didn't lead to an all-out war. And conditions and potential for one were more ripe then.

Quote:
- Syria joins in on Lebanon's side, with Iran joining a little later.
Iran and Syria won't join in the fight officially if they know what is good for them: Iran gets embargoed from the UN, and Syria's involvement would confirm that they officially support Hezbollah and all that they do, which will only give the Coalition of the Willing political ammo to enact regime change on them. As for unoffcial, off-the-records help, they're already there anyway, and even Israel won't acknowledge them, for fears of opening another front in this military action.

Quote:
- Now it's Israel against Lebanon, Syria and Iran. Israel can't take that much punishment,
Pfffffft. Israel has the economic potential, the political will, the military might, and the technological edge to confront every nation it borders on with the exception of Saudi Arabia or Turkey. Not one of prolonged war of attrition, mind you, but then again most other nations can't.

Quote:
so it calls on it's allies in the region and around the world to help out...the US included. This would leave the US in quite the dilemma. Do you help the state that you've supported militarily for the past 60 years, or do you stand back and see what happens when the dust settles?
A better statement would be: Do you help the state that happens to be the Middle East's only functional liberal democracy, that happens to be quite multiethnic also, and who has been a staunch supporter of US Middle East policy for 60 years, or do you see it wrecked by fundies who would like to see nothing more than every jew on the face of the earth exterminated and excremated?

Quote:
Some of Israels allies join in, followed by a whole bunch of the Arabic nations in the area.
- War spreads all over...
Won't happen. Most you will see is the usual; oil prices go up, neighborhoods get wrecked, foreign fighters go and get themselves killed for virgins in heaven, and an eventual cease-fire that will interrupt things until the next full moon, or until when one of them crazy imams gets an itch he can't scratch.

If there is to be a world war, expect it will happen over Central Asia.

Download Sev Today! --- Download BOB and SOCk today too! --- Thanks to Fyron and Trooper for hosting.

Old July 17th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Brigadier General

TerranC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dizzy said:
nostradamus freaked everyone out about his chillingly close 'city of York burning at 45 degrees'... NY is actually 350 miles south I think, but screw its close enough... And the 'royal brothers war against another'... some people have the twin towers on this one, and then 'In the year 1999 and seven months, from the skies shall come an alarming powerful king', who knows, mb that's Bush. haha.
You do know that that "Quatrain" in 5 verses was a hoax perpetrated by some canadian college kid, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostrad...age_idiot_hoax

Download Sev Today! --- Download BOB and SOCk today too! --- Thanks to Fyron and Trooper for hosting.

Old July 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Corporal

Dizzy is on a distinguished road

I heard it was an advertising company trying to make a buck. Doesnt matter... I didnt use either's quoted interpretation. Doesnt change the fact that most of the muslim world will soon be taught that simply because they are sitting on black gold doesnt mean they own it.

I think a good relocation plan is in order.
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Captain

sachmo is on a distinguished road

If you sit down and ask yourself what the goals of many of these countries are, you will realize that a wide-scale Middle East "war" will not happen, let alone "World War Three".