.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Private

Snoddasmannen is on a distinguished road
Post Spell database - Web interface

Hi all!

I thought it was time to start a thread about the web interface I made for the Dom3DB. A lot of people know about it, some may even use it, but it's a good idea to start a thread so new people can find it easier and so on.

So, I've made a little web interface for the Dom3DB which in turn was assembled by DrPraetorious. Kudos for that work!

It is available online here:

http://www2.onyx.nu/pb/dom3/spells.html

So just fill in the magic paths available and you will get a nice list of the spells you can cast.

A major caveat is that it is not usable in Internet Explorer or its ilk. You can either blame IE for not supporting XSLT properly, or me for not choosing a more well established technical solution. It does work with Opera 9.5+ or Firefox 2+, and should work on Safari with a bit of luck (can anybody confirm?). It looks nicest with a browser that supports the nth-of-type() CSS selector and SVG, which I know Opera 9.5 does and I suspect FF does or soon will.

I actually just added a new feature, the ability to filter the results in some (by me) predermined ways. Specifically you can search for summons, buffs and/or others. I welcome suggestions for additional categories!

I had another purpose in mind with this post too. I want to get some input on how I could add the ability to discuss or add information/comments on the spells. My first idea was to add a new column to the results list with a link to wiki page corresponding to that spell. I know there is a dom3 strategy wiki out there, which seems to fit the job description. Anybody in here know much/maintain that? For this to work we will require a lot of active participation or most of the links will point to empty pages, and nobody will bother using it. Any feedback on whether this is a good approach, or does somebody have a better idea? I'd rather not go and implement a commenting system myself (been there ).

Alright, have fun everybody! Let me know if you want me to add more features - you may inspire me

Known issues: I have not updated to the 3.17 version of the DB, so a few spells are missing, notably the nationals for Hinnom et al.

Last edited by Edi; August 22nd, 2008 at 02:24 PM..
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Snoddasmannen For This Useful Post:
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spell database - Web interface

Amazing tool!

One comment: It's not currently possible to differentiate national spells from normal ones (so far as I can see), which is a little confusing.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Wow! It looks very, very nice, but probably there should be some detailed spell description including, of course, nation, in the case it is nation specific.
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Private

Thanks guys!

Yes it's unfortunately true that it's not currently possible to differentiate national from non-national spells. The original database does contain this information, but I have not imported it to the web version.

There's a bit of grunt-work required to determine which nation each spell belongs to, but to just add that it is a national spell is less work.

The original database does not contain any detailed descriptions, so this is what I'm hoping we can use a wiki for.
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Corporal

Ming is on a distinguished road

Don't think it works with safari.
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:00 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Very cool!

How difficult would it be to add a radio button to select combat spells or rituals? Right now Summon Summer Lions and Summon Fire Elemental are both just listed as a Summon.

And I did notice one weird entry:

Fires from Afar Evocation3 Stygian Paths

Also Flames from the Sky appears to be just missing.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
How difficult would it be to add a radio button to select combat spells or rituals? Right now Summon Summer Lions and Summon Fire Elemental are both just listed as a Summon.
That was such a good idea that I had to add it right away Now supported.

Quote:
And I did notice one weird entry:

Fires from Afar Evocation3 Stygian Paths

Also Flames from the Sky appears to be just missing.
The Stygian Paths thing is straight from the original database, not sure what that is all about I'll see what I can do to figure out what happened to flames from the sky.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

I'm sure its a good tool, but honestly - how useful is it to post it to the forums if it doesnt support IE? With all respect to the work you've done, it not functioning on IE means that the majority of viewers will not be able to use it.
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Unless they download the free and shiny Firefox!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Software like Firefox and Opera runs everywhere and is widely used, so I think it's natural to develop for them first. There's no Internet Explorer for Linux, and if you're on a Mac then you probably use Safari which is built on the same HTML engine like KDE's Konqueror, I think. The MSIE gets bad credit for a history of security issues and not being as portable.

Snoddasmannen mainly used this as a learning project to web technologies, too.

BTW, should I move this post to the "Maps & Mods" subsection, maybe?
Emergency comic relief