BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old November 1st, 2017, 12:15 AM

Corporal

Gerry1 is on a distinguished road
Default Wish Item

Hello: There are lots of objectives in some scenarios, even the tutorial.

Any way to have an optional pop-up that would list all the locations, who controlled them, and the points for each one?
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wish Item

All of that information is already shown

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:46 AM

Corporal

You mean in a particular screen? Or just on the map?
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The main map where the game is played.

There is NO NEED for any separate pop up screen....anyone not blind can clearly see who controls them and simply passing the cursor over the hex shows how much they are worth at the top of the screen.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:24 AM

Corporal

I am talking about seeing at a glance the number of points you control vs the AI as opposed to going over the whole map and adding up all the numbers for each side.

If there is no need for this, why do you have a Unit List? Same thing there. The units are on the map and anyone can check them on the map. It is just a very helpful display but is not essential.
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:54 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

If you have a problem seeing the objectives - look at the mini map, they show as luminous green dots on that. Click on a v-hex in the mini map to centre the main map on it. Or zoom the map out to the max.

If you have the objectives display turned off and so cannot see the little flags on the map - then turn it back on.

There is no running total of V-hexes ownership during the game since its irrelevant in the game until the very end (unless timed objectives, but AFAIR those show a message at end turn- been a few years since I programmed them and I am not grubbing about in the code to find out).

- Objectives only count at end game

- It is blindingly obvious which ones are taken, since the flag is shown on the map. If there is too much wreckage on them - turn wrecks off temporarily if you have the full game.

- Hover the mouse over an O-hex to see its value. Barring some human designed scenarios, they are usually all the same amount. If you really have to know each and every one, simply do that for each one - there are a maximum of 21. If you are really OCD about it then you can note them down on a sheet of paper.

- In generated games the objectives usually are in 3 clusters, so not exactly hard to find. Scenarios, or if you have the "shotgun" flag set and they may be scattered.

- Except in tiny little scenarios, the objective points are simply a bonus on top of the real points which is how much of the enemy force you have killed.

- Its not worth losing a 120 point tiger to take a 60 point objective. There is no need to "lemming" at them as the AI does. O-hexes are a guideline to the player, and a magnet for the AI (and new players who also have "tunnel vision" about them).

- Control of the objectives does influence the AI throwing in the towel early (Generally - all objectives taken*, enemy force is broken, no healthy enemy force close to an objective, no enemy reinforcements scheduled, and >the halfway point of the game).
(* I have seen the AI towel thrown in with 1 or 2 hexes still outstanding but the end results were of the 6700 points to me, 12 to the AI type.)

But remember - the game is about killing enemy forces, whilst minimising own casualties. It is not a "grab the flag and to heck with my forces losses" paintball type thingy.
Old November 1st, 2017, 11:13 AM

Corporal

You haven't understood what I am asking for. Just asking for a display of objectives screen similar to the Unit List screen. All objectives on the list, so you can quickly count how you are doing objective-wise.

Looking at one objective on the map I can easily see who controls it.
Old November 1st, 2017, 11:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1 View Post
You haven't understood what I am asking for. Just asking for a display of objectives screen similar to the Unit List screen. All objectives on the list, so you can quickly count how you are doing objective-wise.

Looking at one objective on the map I can easily see who controls it.
Oh - a tally screen.

It could be done, but it would be a very low priority item.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old November 1st, 2017, 11:51 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1 View Post
I am talking about seeing at a glance the number of points you control vs the AI as opposed to going over the whole map and adding up all the numbers for each side.

If there is no need for this, why do you have a Unit List? Same thing there. The units are on the map and anyone can check them on the map. It is just a very helpful display but is not essential.
Just my thought but unit list is useful contains a decent set ofinformation.
Victory hexes never change anything but ownership throughout the game, you look at them at the start plan a strategy & thats about it. Only time you might look at Vhexes again is towards the end of the game if you got your timing wrong as folows. Hard/ risky push to get last couple on the odd occasion may not try if there value is low.

As to adding up total points while playing never done it the objective is to kill the enemy & control the Victory Hexes, its obvious from the map which ones you still need to take/ hold.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 06:53 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road

Points aren't real important to most players. They are important to the computer as a logical function, but what's important to players is if you own more objectives than your opponent. This shows who controls the battlefield, which is basically why the battle is being fought in the first place. You could simply count the number of objectives you own, but I think listing them would be better, not only would they be easier to count, but they might be covered by units or some other obscurity. With the old DOS Steel Panthers version you could turn off all units while looking at the map. That was a nice feature.

Last edited by Dion; November 3rd, 2017 at 07:15 PM..