.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 14th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Sergeant

Beorne is on a distinguished road
Default Devs somewhere?

I'm feeling like abandoned ...

The bug thread is a messy bunch of posts, the Illwinter page is empty, the progress page is not updated, and after a short period K.O. is vanished ...

There are a lot of unresolved issues causing disappontment in the players and some of the historical forum followers are disappearing.

This game is beautiful but I think niche games like this should be folloewd more closely, else they fail.
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:40 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Devs somewhere?

I've given up on the bug thread in its current form. Without ruthless moderator action to delete or split every non-bug report post out of it, it's useless.

What I am doing is compiling a list of bugs as I find them and which I will later post as a large block so that instead of reporting things piecemeal, there will be 20 or 50 or 150 bugs in a single report. Especially if many of them are repetitive, easy to fix things, they might get addressed that way.

Edi
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Sergeant

Hopefully there are people like you ...
thanks
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

The Devs are out there, we got a patch not that long ago. However, they are not full time at this and do not tend to get involved too much in the forums. Quite some debate has raged back and forth about price and quality, but the reality is that this is an unusual game, the Devs are unusual guys and changes will come when they come.

One of the lead designers over at Paradox addresses this issue rather neatly in his signature when he quotes Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings. Something to the effect of “A Patch is never late, it arrives precisely when the Developer thinks it should.”
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Sergeant

This reminds me the times when all awaited the exit of Dom 3. Whenever one asked "When will be out? I've payed for this!" a group of good boy to answer "Shut up unfaithful! The latter it will arrive the better so lots of things will added!". It simply does not make sense.

I'm watching lots of very good ideas in the forums going away and reappearing 2 years later and going away. I see a lot of effort put in the bug thread being messed up.
It is only a little complain, a little scratch on this beatiful game.
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:04 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I'm not knocking the devs, they are great guys. However, the bug thread as it currently stands is rather useless for the reasons cited.

The IW guys deserve a break after the last patch, and I'm all for giving them one. Especially since it will allow me to finish my current projects and provide as complete lists of real issues and potential issues as possible.

Edi
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

I've no problem with KO or JK making only rare appearances here (even if it'll be better if they were here often), but I also think that having a clean, up to date bug lists should be high in *their* priorities and it doesn't seem so... It shouldn't be a volunteer/fan effort, with all due respect.
Thx Edi for stepping up !
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

I have to smile to be called “one of the good ol’ boys” and admit that in this context, my post was justifying things as they stand. Having been chased by the fanboys before, it is amusing to be perceived as one. Please consider my post a statement of the way things are, rather than a statement of the way things should be.

I should throw in that I am on the record as stating that paying normal market price for a game should lead to normal market value. I have no intention of re-opening the debate on what “normal market value” is regarding patches, graphics or expansion packs/new games; I got tired out by that argument.

I would prefer a lot of attention to problems now to a little bit of attention over the next three years, cumulating in Dominions 4. However, I expect the latter.

Sorry if I did not communicate that well.
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PDF said:
I've no problem with KO or JK making only rare appearances here (even if it'll be better if they were here often), but I also think that having a clean, up to date bug lists should be high in *their* priorities and it doesn't seem so... It shouldn't be a volunteer/fan effort, with all due respect.
Thx Edi for stepping up !
I know Dominions_3 is only part-time work for the devs since they have regular full-time careers teaching/working. I noticed the bug thread was a terrible mess, even Kristoffer said the bug thread is no longer useful in its current state. I contacted some moderators and asked them to clean up the bug thread for the developers... the responses I received were quite lazy and uninterested. I even offered to provide them with a list of all the post numbers which were non_bug postings, yet still only lazy responses.

It's a tragedy none of the moderators are fans enough of Dominions_3 to clean the bug thread.
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The moderators are too smart to clean up the bug lists.
Nobody agrees on what is or isnt a bug. Surely you have all seen enough arguments about my posts to know that you dont want me doing major surgery on that list.

If anyone who is good at managing lists wants to offer a nice clean list and maintain it, feel free to do so. We can replace it as the stickie. (when weeding out spelling bugs please research to see if its an americanism being reported when the english dictionary spelling was used).

But any public bug list isnt worthless. Its a place for people to put the items they feel are bugs. It tends to not be the one and only bug list. Items posted there get considered, and some of them get put on the nice clean bug list in the beta area. And I fully suspect that only some of those get agreed on and moved to an even cleaner bug list in the developers area.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)