.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 25th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very poor performance under Linux

There's your problem. Dominions link to a different version of the OpenGL libraries than GLXgears do. Most likely the version in /usr/lib/ is the Mesa software-based version. I'm not sure how to sort it -- you can try to move all files starting with libGL under /usr/lib to a backup directory and see if that sorts it. It might cause some issues, in which case you'll have to copy the files back again.

I also notice that neither program depends on the libnvidia-tls library, so am I right in assuming that you haven't installed NVidia's own Linux drivers on your system?
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:21 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Leif_- said:
There's your problem. Dominions link to a different version of the OpenGL libraries than GLXgears do. Most likely the version in /usr/lib/ is the Mesa software-based version. I'm not sure how to sort it -- you can try to move all files starting with libGL under /usr/lib to a backup directory and see if that sorts it. It might cause some issues, in which case you'll have to copy the files back again.

Will try that. Nice to have an expert on board

Quote:

I also notice that neither program depends on the libnvidia-tls library, so am I right in assuming that you haven't installed NVidia's own Linux drivers on your system?
Well, considering this laptop happens to have an ATI graphic card, this seems reasonable to me...
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:34 AM

First Lieutenant

I tried moving the /usr/lib/libGL* files to another directory, and now ldd `which dom3` reports the same libGL.so.1 link as glxgears uses, but dom3 graphics on the title page are still just as slow.

Running the video preferences, the terrain just doesn't show at all (black background), and the FPS are almost as low (9 FPS on lowest setting). The "Benchmark" reports 130 FPS, only I get a (sky-)blue screen.

In other words, it's not much better
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Hmm. Strange. The only other piece of advice I can give you is to try and reinstall the hardware driver for your video card. That sometimes clears up weird bits like that.
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PhilD said:
The "Benchmark" reports 130 FPS, only I get a (sky-)blue screen.
Did you turn off "animated backgrounds" (-a) ?

Though this was fixed, but it is not for the Linux version, somehow..
18th august
* Version 3.00
15th august
* Battle graphics settings screen always runs with background on.
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:19 AM

First Lieutenant

I tried playing with the command-line switches, and nothing seems to make things better. The -x switch does make graphics faster, but then the terrain doesn't show up at all during battles (I get a few unit sprites on a black background), and main screen display is messed up.
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Private

Jamie is on a distinguished road

Has this been resolved? I note this thread is 6 months old. I have the identical to problem to Chazar (above, who happily resolved my dom2 issue).
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Private

hnchrist3 is on a distinguished road

You do not state your hardware, and "running Linux" is like saying "I have something 'green.'" There are a lot of green things. Be specific about hardware and versions.

I personally have had no trouble at all with Linux.
[I run a dual-processor {which makes no difference to DOM3 as it it is not hyperthreaded} machine at 2 GHz with 1 GB of memory. (Note that I went from 512MB to 1GB and DOM3 did not change.). It is 9 years old and still serves all my needs.]

If I may suggest, your video card is very old and cannot handle the bandwidth.

Send me a personal note [hnc3@wb4me.com] and I will try to resolve your problem. You must include EVERYTHING I need to know, about your hardware, and Linux versions.

[Right now I am running ubuntu 7.04; after switching from Mandrake 2007. Both of those ran DOM3 with no problems or slowdowns.]
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Ubuntu is "home" to Dom3 if that helps. Thats what its developed on.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM

Private

Jamie is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, I did not provide details as chazar had previously solved this for Dom2 as he exactly the same problem and it is specified in detail on a previous post cross linked from this forum.

In summary, I'm running SUSE Linux 10.1 on an oldish ACER laptop (Travelmate 800) with a ATI radeon 9000. With Dom2 I had erratic errors but chazar sorted this out for me some time back.

See post #459277

He mentioned at that time that this solution did NOT work for Dom3, and since I am considering buying a copy I wanted to know if this was still the case or if a solution had been found.