Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 28th, 2014, 11:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WinSPMBTv8_(2014)_Upgrade

If your monitor runs better at 1600 x 1050 then why are you not running in desktop mode ??

This is the difference between the two text modes. "Large" is just "larger". Both text sizes have to work within the space available

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXT1.png
Views:	603
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	12918  
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I would say thanks, but I don't like the idea of this fine game not being supported anymore. Scary. Sounds like trouble may be in the future for Steel Panthers. Lets hope I'm wrong. I hope the leave you mentioned isn't permenent. Will somebody take your place?
What part of........

Quote:
We are NOT giving up on the games but we both feel that we need some extended time away from them.
and

Quote:
we will be monitoring the forums to answer questions but not on a daily basis.

.....are you having trouble understanding ?
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:24 AM

Private

jeffreywilens is on a distinguished road

DRG, Thanks for the images. I notice the difference in your example, but not on my computer. I tried to attach two screen shots. Maybe you can see a difference in mine.

As for using 16x12 or 16x10.5, not much difference there, obviously gets stretched out for widescreen I would think since the program was not written for widescreen monitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinSPMBT normal font.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	12919   Click image for larger version

Name:	WinSPMBT large font.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	12920  
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

1/ The difference is obvious when you compare them side by side. Your screen shots, quality aside, are identical to the ones I posted. generally the "large" font is 1 pixel taller. The title " SCENARIO LIST" is 65x7 pixels in standard font and 81x8 pixels in large font.

2/ The game itself was not written for widescreen monitors but "desktop mode" was but a 480x640 image stays 640x480.

We included the large font mode because tests showed that it helps some people read the text on the screen more easily but, without my glasses, I have a special pair just for computer work, I cannot read ANYTHING on the screen unless the text is at least

THIS BIG
.....and even then I have to squint to see it well enough to be sure of the words but with my glasses I can read the standard text in the game without any difficulty at all so my advice to anyone who still has trouble reading the game text even with the larger font option is .... get glasses set up for how far you normally sit from your computer screen.

When I started work on these game I didn't need glasses , now I do and with them I see the screens perfectly

Don
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road

Every time you release a new update I think to myself, "they couldn't possibly make this awesome game any better," and then every next patch you do! Thanks for the hard work and enjoy your well-deserved break.
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM

Private

DRG, Okay 1 pixel I guess is there. But, I'm like you and I have computer glasses as well. But even with them it's pretty hard to read at the highest game resolution so I have to knock it down a couple which does make the fonts bigger, even if the graphic get a little less detailed.

When you say you can read the standard text with glasses without difficulty, what resolution are you viewing the game in?
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

1920x1080. Samsung S22C300 22" LED / HDMI so wider than yours but about as tall
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Corporal

Pats is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreywilens View Post
DRG, Okay 1 pixel I guess is there. But, I'm like you and I have computer glasses as well. But even with them it's pretty hard to read at the highest game resolution so I have to knock it down a couple which does make the fonts bigger, even if the graphic get a little less detailed.

When you say you can read the standard text with glasses without difficulty, what resolution are you viewing the game in?
I think you need a better monitor or better classes. I can possible see even worse then Don and I can read the smaller Font fine on a resolution of 1600x1280. The bigger Font is considerably better.

Without classes I can't read that BIG except I go as close as a hand span...

And thanks to the Team, I like the bigger font.

P.S. I have a HP Compaq LA2405wg.... it's not clossy, they are a pain in the @@@ to read on
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:21 PM

Private

DRG, Wow if you can read the Encyclopedia text at 1920x1080 you should be a scout or FO (at least with your computer glasses). I have a 24" ACER widescreen and at about 24" viewing distances, I can "read" the text at that resolution but am not comfortable reading for more than a few moments at anything above 1024 x ??? or so.

Pats, My monitor is Acer243W, a well regarded monitor that I use for word processing all day long. It's good. My glasses were prescribed a few months ago by an ophthalmologist, but maybe they should be tweaked. These are not reading glasses, they are designed to work at computer monitor viewing distances (not the classifieds in the newspaper or prescription pill bottles, need cheaters for those)

I guess the issue is not being able to read, but reading comfortably for the extended period of time necessary to play.
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Private

Also, by the way, has anyone ever tried adjusting the Windows "DPI scaling" in the Display settings? I know that works fine for icons on the desktop etc, but does it have any impact on the game fonts?