.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 16th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Corporal

dita is on a distinguished road
Default \"D\" key question

A question concerning the "D" key and modifying units during the deploy phase for a scenario.

I`ve added some civilians/refugees into the scenario and I wish to arm them with pistols. However, selecting the "D" key and I cannot see pistols or misc weapons on the selection. Don`t really want to arm my civilian population with M16s!

On another issue, is it the "done thing" to use civilian forces in a scenario. The idea is that they are refugees moving from the front line, getting caught up in the advancing army. I`ve made their cost higher so that player is penalised if he loses any, obviously they are being targetted heavily by the AI.

Giving them weapons gives the impression that the forces are not targeting "innocent" and unarmed civilians, hence wanting to give them pistols.

Perhaps I`m thinking about this a bit too much

Thanks for any advice
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"D\" key question

I have not used the D key,when I want to edit unit data I use the button for it in the deploy menu. I've used it to adjust the squad member levels,but I think thats where you would add a weapon or change one.

As far as civilians I think the UN oob has them,you can capture them into any force you are using.
Old July 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Corporal

hi,

I got the civilians from the UN OOb and set them to "captured". I`ve just noticed, although my forces are UK, all the civilians are showing US flags? Am I doing something wrong, or is this a error?
Old July 16th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

That might be what I ran into before when I was making my first scenerio.

What is your default battle set to right now? To ensure that you get the proper flags set your default battle to the battle you are trying to create. That should eliminate the bad flags you are getting.
Old July 16th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Corporal

Starmyth is on a distinguished road

Armed civilians would remove their non combatant status. Increasing their point value is an excellent way to penalize their 'protector'. In most poverty sticken countries civilians would be lucky to have more than a knife. Also, creating a 'politicians' class could be interesting. For must protect at all costs, or must kill situations. With appropriate high points assigned. In a US vs US civil war there would be lots of armed civilians.
Old July 16th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

You can arm them with all weapons available in the Nation OOB (even those not listed on the selection screen ). Once you are in the the unit screen after hitting "D", click on Weapon 1 Button. You should see a bunch of weapons?? If not, just enter a # 2 as the Weapon ID and edit the ammunitions. Once done and back at the unit screen you should see Pistols in there now.
Old July 17th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

Anyway the weapon lists only shows about the half of the list, so if you want a precise weapon, you'd better check the country in MOBhack and pick the nuber of the weapon you want to use. So even if the list doesn't show up, you can enter weapon number, ammo loadout (HE then AP, gets complicated for first weapon) like DD explained.

Remember that however allied or captured you units ma be, you will be able to pick the weapons only in your country's list.
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dita said:
A question concerning the "D" key and modifying units during the deploy phase for a scenario.

I`ve added some civilians/refugees into the scenario and I wish to arm them with pistols. However, selecting the "D" key and I cannot see pistols or misc weapons on the selection. Don`t really want to arm my civilian population with M16s!

On another issue, is it the "done thing" to use civilian forces in a scenario. The idea is that they are refugees moving from the front line, getting caught up in the advancing army. I`ve made their cost higher so that player is penalised if he loses any, obviously they are being targetted heavily by the AI.

Giving them weapons gives the impression that the forces are not targeting "innocent" and unarmed civilians, hence wanting to give them pistols.

Perhaps I`m thinking about this a bit too much

Thanks for any advice
weapon selection is already fixed for the patch 9you get upto 3 pages on that screen via -1, -2, -3 -4 or lower to delete a weapon now). How many you see depends on how full the particular OOB is.

There are 2 sides in SP games - if the civvies are side 2, then side 1 will zap them just like regular infantry.

The game is not designed for "crowd control" or "insurgency" missions, it is for stand-up fights between normal fighting forces.

"insurgency" ops can be done in scenarios, but only those rare ones where insurgents decide to stand firm and engage the regular forces toe-to-toe as it were. "civilians" can be useful for the human side in a rescue or similar mission - precisely by giving them high points so the human player will have to protect them with his fighting troops. If such a scenario is reversed, the AI will simply use them as normal troops.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 18th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Skirmisher said:
That might be what I ran into before when I was making my first scenerio.

What is your default battle set to right now? To ensure that you get the proper flags set your default battle to the battle you are trying to create. That should eliminate the bad flags you are getting.
Hi, yes that has fixed it. Changing the default battle to the battle I was editing fixed the problem.
Old July 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road

This is a question I have. Many weapons cannot be seen when I want to replace one. For example, the 105M2. Even when I want to lower the ammo, I have to first type in the weapon number...but the weapon is not listed.

So tell a dumb guy one more time, how do I access the complete list of weapons for each country and how do I get whatever software I need to do that. As it is now, it is very frustrating.

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer