.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rohan! version 1.00

First of all let me say thank you for the feedback. I was pretty disheartened after creating this mod because no one was commenting on it. This mod took the most work artistically of any mod I have done to date and I was getting pretty discouraged, but two new replies, excellent

I may consider changing the name of the Rohan Militia. I used that moniker not to compare them to the Dominions 3 independent version with the same name, but rather to reflect how they are referred to in books or write ups on rohan. Rohan never has a real standing army, they depend on militias during times of war.

The helmet is a great catch, this is the kind of feedback I love to get. They will definitely receive a helmet in a future incarnation of the mod.

The wise women are pretty old, what keeps them from getting the old age icon is that they normally get 1 to 2 nature picks randomly. Do you think I should bump their age up anyway? I can bump them up to where they are old enough not even nature magic can save them if you guys feel it would be more thematic. Currently I have her scripted for #older 30 which means she starts 30 years older than a standard mage with the same magic picks.

One of the things I was afraid of in this mod was not adding custom spells. Most new modded nations come with all the bells and whistles including modded spells but I could not think of anything thematic to go with Rohan. Lord of the Rings is such a low magic setting, it is hard to add anything magical without taking some creative liberties.

That being said, what do you guys think about a bump to priest levels (as Cor suggested) and some holy spells being added if I can find a way to add them and still maintain the Rohan feel of the nation?
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

I don't know that it is absolutely necessary to give Rohan a high priest unit. Several nations in game have no priests past lvl 1 so your prophet is the only high priest you get. Kailasa and Bandar Log being two examples I know of. Of course, high summons later negate that problem but it takes awhile. So I'll finish this thought by saying, do what YOU think is necessary. It is your mod after all. Everyone else is just giving you suggestions.

I'd been thinking about national spells for this mod as well. Everything I think of takes some stretching. Like a Summon Ent spell, meh? Maybe. Or something that calls the people of the hills, I forget what they are called (Blasphemy!! I know! Looks like it is time to start my annual 'Reading the Lord of the Rings books'.) Or perhaps a morale/defense boosting spell, to show how the Rohirrim rally in times of need.

I honestly don't know.
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Major General

You pretty much summed up the spell ideas I have gone through. I thought about having a Summon Huorn (spelling?) spell that summoned some Ent creatures to help Rohan, I base this off the part in the book where the Huorns decimate Isengard's army after they flee Helm's Deep.

I don't think the Hill People would fit at all, they were constantly warring Rohan even before the time period that is the setting for the LOTRs.

As far what I think is necessary. I have found it best to get as many opinions as possible when it comes to modding, then take those opinions and form my final course of action according to what I think after hearing those opinions. When I was working on Haida Gwaii my mod became better to me because people were able to provide different insights that in turn influenced my decisions in the mod to a better end.

On the other hand, I created a mod a long time ago for the original Age of Wonders. I called it the "Heavenly Ruleset" and I changed every version of it according to the opinions of the Heavens Games Community. I ended up hating the mod (I kept this to myself) and even refused to play it in SP or MP once it was finished, a shell of what I envisioned, all because I didn't take their opinions into consideration; Their opinions guided my modding completely.
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Sergeant

That's cool...I meant it the way you worded it any way. Some people have good ideas and others not so good and using what is good is great (Did that sentence confuse anyone? It did me and I wrote it.) I didn't mean to suggest ignoring what they say and doing what you want, just that you ultimately have final say so.

I'ma gonna look at the Battle for Middle Earth games and see if I can't get some more ideas for you. They seemed to do a pretty good job of expanding on the nations. I do like the Summon Huoron though, great minds think alike?

Forget it, no ideas there at all.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:33 AM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure summoning Huorns or Ents really fits Rohan, they feared Fangorn and the trees.

Spell songs similar to those Man has would be more fitting, IMO.

You might include important characters from the history of Rohan as heroes, such as Helm Hammerhand and Eorl the Young. It would take some creative writing, but having more heroes would be great. I can take a crack at it if you don't mind.
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:40 PM

BANNED USER

Cor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Teraswaerto said:

Yeah, they were forever singing. I hate singing.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

Philistine.
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM

BANNED USER

Cor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Teraswaerto said:
Philistine.
Oh yes, and proud .
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Major General

Quote:
Teraswaerto said:
I'm not sure summoning Huorns or Ents really fits Rohan, they feared Fangorn and the trees.

You might include important characters from the history of Rohan as heroes, such as Helm Hammerhand and Eorl the Young. It would take some creative writing, but having more heroes would be great. I can take a crack at it if you don't mind.
I had considered both of them as heroes. The issue I had was that both were former kings of Rohan. So if you received them as heroes, you could potentially have 3 kings of rohan which seems odd thematically.

Maybe if they were presented in a way that made them more generic as heroes and in their descriptions they are not mentioned as kings?
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Sergeant

If that is the case, then why not make Hama, and Eomer and Eowyn as heroes? I'm guessing you've prolly thought of this already. Oh yeah, and let's not forget Glamdring.