.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old May 29th, 2008, 01:16 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Report on NEW PBEM Campaigns

Just a short REP on this, as the Campaign is still progress. It's Sicily 1943 UK vs. myself as the Germans. 6 battles as a trial. The system works well and IMHO is even easier to use insofar as setup and sending files back and forth etc.

One thing that made itself very apparent quickly is conservation of forces will figure into these campaigns in a large way. If you see yourself getting whacked withdrawal will be very important option. As I forgot I wasn't playing the "AI" anymore I went in with my usual campaign style and got my butt handed to me. Thankfully to a gentlemen's agreement I withdrew and gave my able opponent the first battle. This was done so we could continue and see how things worked on completion of the battle.

As the loser I only received enough points to bandage up only about half of my force that was destroyed. Without the "agreement” I’m sure the battle I'm fighting now would have a much different colour. Read lost cause.

Knowing when to hold them or when to fold them will figure strongly in these campaigns.

With that in mind a surrender or tactical withdrawal feature would be nice. But I may early in that judgement.

One thing this new PBEM Campaign does is make an already outstanding game even more so. Enough thanks isn't possible to all the crew for this. Campaigning against a human adds such a new dimension to our game.

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Corporal

Brummbar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Report on NEW PBEM Campaigns

Thank's for the info PanzerBob. I was wanting to know how this was going for you. Now I know.

"One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic."
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:18 AM

First Lieutenant

SITREP BATTLE # 2.

Well battle 2 saw me going into a meeting engagement with really enough force to be defending. However orders are orders and fortified with plenty of Sicilian Wine my troops attempted to deny Col Cross and his gallant crew at least a total victory.

The carnage was brutal for both sides. The RAF Jabos did a fair job certainly far better than my Stuka G2's who seemed to have no idea at times what an Allied tank looked like. I was forced to buy troops over arty and was badly mauled by Col Cross's 5.5 Guns, although an infiltration party did manage to disrupt a 25pdr battery. My panzers seemed to be from the gang who couldn't shoot straight and were out shot by the Colonel’s Cromwell's. Many fire fires and somewhat over an hour later, I still held a few objectives but the day went the Cross's Crusaders. The cost for a few dusty crossroads and one end of a bridge was for me too many dead and too few holding out. Cross's men also paid heavily at something like 50% causalities, maybe he will tell the story.

We are about the bash this out again on the "Boot" so stay tuned.

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Corporal

Brummbar is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you are getting the short end of the stick PB.
Hang in there though, we both know that you have the best fighting force's in the world! LOL

"One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic."
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

PanzerBobs report on battle 2 was classic German propaganda.

Here's the BBC version:

The German's certainly put up a better defense in this second battle; however, it cost them dearly.

German casualties were almost exactly double that of the British in men and equipment.

The German assertion that the British suffered 50% casualties was likely the result of a radio chatter intercept that was sloppily translated.

This sort of thing:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rD4roXEY8hk

One of the five British companies (C co, an infantry company) suffered 50% casualties. But important to the campaign, this infantry company only had two of its 14 sections completely wiped out.

Another British infantry company suffered only 8 casualties.

Two infantry officers, Lt Thompson and Lt Parrot won MC's for agressive engagement of the enemy, and superb leadership, and Sgt Smith an Armoured car commander won a DCM for a stunning performance that included knocking out two PzIII a StugIII and a Halftrack.

However, Capt Valentine CO of C company, has been given a warning, as have one of his platoon commanders. Many of those casualties could have been avoided.
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:53 AM

First Lieutenant

LOL Liked your prelude Cross, and the radio intercepts were misread. However, Goebbels and his Ministry of Propaganda likely had a hand in the German version of events released to the public. The only thing missing was the account of my troops singing patriotic songs as your forces closed in, and how the amount of Germans willing to give it all for Italy inspired the Italian Army to greater efforts...........and then Hitler woke up!!!!!

Old June 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM

First Lieutenant

Default FYI on NEW PBEM Campaigns

I'm now fighting 3 campaigns, two WW2 and one MBT. Lack of smoke continues to plague core units. Sure changes the nature of battle. LOL

Old August 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM

First Lieutenant

Default Re: FYI on NEW PBEM Campaigns

Smoke has been restocked in core units after the initial battle.

Rebuilding core units even after a loss is quite possible providing you are careful and sell off anything you feel is useless to you.

Our next battle is raging in hilly terrain over a Castle and an Abby. Even with a resupply which brought forth Panther D's the German side of things are not boding well. I only hope that in my next engagement we are allowed to dig in or at least a fighting withdrawal (delay). This counterattacking has been costly especially in terrain best suited to defence. Someone should teach Herr Hitler and or our General how to properly use a map!!!

Old August 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Bob, do you mean smoke has been restocked in REPLACEMENT core units, or in all core units?

Because in my second battle (as player two...I think the problem is only for player two) I still don't have smoke. I will check my replace units though, perhaps they have smoke!

hmmm...I wonder, in my next battle I may buy an ammo carrier, and see if I can get smoke to my core that way!!!
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM

First Lieutenant

Good day Col. Cross,

I'm at work and can't check to be sure, but a large part of my core has been replaced or suffered damage, which was fixed. Untouched units are likely rare in my KG. However, every unit I've checked thus far has smoke. When I go in to fight again I'll do quick equipment muster (troops love those in the middle of battle! ) maybe even a parade! Now I'm just being a smartass.

I certainly have no problem with you trying the ammo truck as a solution; I'll even leave it alone, baring trigger happiness. This may even help the Guys fix the problem if it works. Frankly I think it will. Just don't have them bombing up Cromwell’s with extra sabot those chaps seem to live a charmed life as it is!

Major Panzerbob Out