This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 22nd, 2001, 04:08 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Babylon 5 Mod

We are going to use an organic armor regeneration ability to represent the crew's emergency repairs to components during battle.

Since the minimum value is 1, and there will be many of these repairable components per ship, every ship will have a minimum of about 30 regen per turn. That equates to 3 lifesupport or a light weapon every turn.
In order to get reasonably slow rates or repair, we need to increase the hitpoints of everything.
Old December 22nd, 2001, 03:43 PM

Captain

ZeroAdunn is on a distinguished road

Wait, your going to use organic armor regen? This means all components will have to have the ability for armor. This means there can be no reall armor, right?

I do now see what you are doing with the large size of components and all.

It's been a while since I've messed around with the Organic regen ability but I remember that it used to regenerate all organic armor components once combat was over, does it still do this? If so this could cause a major problem.
Old December 22nd, 2001, 09:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

quote:
Armor Regeneration
Value1 = The amount of structure points regenerated per combat turn.
Value2 =

That's actually a totally seperate ability from the Armor ability.

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 22nd, 2001, 10:08 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but we've already tried to get 'whole ship' regeneration that way. Armor Regeneration only works on armor. I forget now if it was completely useless or if it only regenerated the armor no matter which component you put it on, but it definitely does NOT repair non-armor components in combat. The best you could do would be to put emissive armor ability on all internal components. Then they'd be much harder to damage.

Guess you can add 'real time damage control' to the requested abilities list that you want to bug MM for.

[ 23 December 2001: Message edited by: Baron Munchausen ]

Old December 22nd, 2001, 11:05 PM

Sergeant

Zarix is on a distinguished road

Would the emissive ability do any good? Doesn't it just make the component immune if damage is lower than the value and if damage is bigger than the value component takes full damage?
Old December 23rd, 2001, 12:11 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Zarix:
Would the emissive ability do any good? Doesn't it just make the component immune if damage is lower than the value and if damage is bigger than the value component takes full damage?

If it works as it is SUPPOSED to it would reduce the damage by the set amount on each hit, even if it was over the limit. But you're right, the way is has been working is that it either ignores the damage or doesn't affect it. I'm not aware of what it is doing in 1.49, you'll have to test it I guess.
Old December 23rd, 2001, 02:46 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

quote:
Sorry, but we've already tried to get 'whole ship' regeneration that way. Armor Regeneration only works on armor.
As of V1.49, I remember doing a test, whereby I gave my living ships's Lifesupport organs an organic armor regen, and they repaired each other.

In fact, with Gold v.57, a pile of Ion Engines just healed up after a heavy pounding.

Oddly enough, when the engines were totally gone, the lifesupport stopped healing itself...

After some testing, I have come to believe that the organic regeneration applies to any component with OA ability at least 1.
However, if you lose all copies of ANY component with OA ability, then the OA regen is shut off, even though you may still have OA generating components operational.

In my case, that meant losing all of my OA engines, OR all of my OA lifesupport.
This needs hardcode changes to work . SE4 should check to see whether ANY surviving component still has OA ability, not if any stack of an OA ability component has been destroyed completely.

[ 23 December 2001: Message edited by: suicide_junkie ]

Old December 26th, 2001, 04:37 PM

Major

Val is on a distinguished road

Ok, so if the OA ability is wiped off a ship once all components with OA in a stack are destroyed, and we can't really use component repair (we could, but that isn't quite as slow of a regen effect as we want), what are some other options. Baron Munchausen, sounds like you played with some possibilities, what have you tried?
Old December 31st, 2001, 06:51 PM

Captain

ZeroAdunn is on a distinguished road

How's it goin?
Old December 31st, 2001, 09:58 PM

Major

Val is on a distinguished road

Been a little on the busy side at work and with the holidays on top of that I haven't had an abundance of time on my hands.

But, even with that being said, here are some updates for y'all:

1) Rambie is working on updating the EA shipset and it is looking good.

2) Tony is working on some Win/Lose/HumanDead pics.

3) I've added 5 Neutral races (Gaim & Llort completed - Grome, Hurr & Yolu AI and descriptions being worked on) and started real rough work on some of the other league member races (broke out the Abbai, Brakiri, Drazi & Vree). Changed some more info in the data files including replacing all warps (except the small warp) with a jump gate image (I want to make some other jump gate images as well to represent damaged gates and such - unless someone else would like to). Added my prelim pics for some new events (Soul Hunter and Strieb Collector) I am working on. Everything mentioned in #3 is included in this update:

Bab5ModUpdate.zip

4) Still working with SJ on components and tech.

5) Working on Hyach AI.

Haven't heard much from Atomannj or Oleg. Zircher is busy with another project (check it out at : Zircher's Site )

I miss anyone or anything?