.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old April 13th, 2003, 08:55 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road
Default Tweaks to classes

Hey, I would like to start a discussion about classes in DO. While I am perfectly aware that anybody can make changes as she/he pleases, it would be good if some kind of joint effort/ consensus could be reached, because of compatibility issues.

The goal would be a modded classes.txt file that has a broad acceptance and can be used for mods.

Here are just some random thoughts/opinions:

* missile weapons: fighters should really be able to use any kind of weapons, especially bows/crossbows. Likewise I think Clerics and Druids should be able to use slings.

* hmm, I had some other point, but I forgot LOL

* new classes: If we use a modded class file, we could introduce new classes. Dwarves and Elves come to mind without attaching any abilities, yet.

* New/tweaked abilities:...

This is just some food for thought. I'd like to hear any comments or suggestions. Just post what you think would be cool to have. We'll worry about possibilties to implement or (gasp) consensus later...

Have fun ,
Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old April 14th, 2003, 02:22 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tweaks to classes

I think the classes text file should be adjusted to fit any new mod that is made. When a person makes a mod, the classes.txt file should be included in it's data folder. (This way, the 'original' classes.txt file could be preserved for when a person plays the original mods.) Any tweaking would then be left to the discretion of the modder. Using this example, my tweaked classes.txt file is available as an alternate. which if people lik, can use in their mods.

As for new player classes, well, the classes.txt file is definately the place to put them. I would think the it might be better to post any new 'player class' as a separate file the modders could them simply cut and paste it into the class mod they are working on. (Kind of like creating 'plugins' once more and more of these are made modders will begin to have a nice base of 'ready-made' 'features' that they could use in their mods. I would also apply this to the xxxtiles.txt files. If someone creates a new look for the wilderness/dungeon, that wilderness or dungeon tiles could be 'plugged' into any new mod.

anyway, I'm just dropping another 2 cents,.. feel free to post comments.

Cheers!
Old April 14th, 2003, 03:38 AM

Brigadier General

Oh , I totally agree with you. The original classes.txt should be unchanged, of course.
Modded classes.txt should be included in the mod's data folder.

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old April 14th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good idea. Does changing classes.txt create problems with exporting/importing characters from other modules or are there no such problems?

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old April 15th, 2003, 02:26 AM

Private

gozman99 is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering, as I do not yet have the full Version of the game yet if I can use the new class info sheet.

regards
Old April 15th, 2003, 02:45 AM

Private

gozman99 is on a distinguished road

don't waste your breath it won't work tried it
Old April 15th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally posted by henk brouwer:
Sounds like a good idea. Does changing classes.txt create problems with exporting/importing characters from other modules or are there no such problems?
Well, that depends on the amount of changes, I guess. You can create a whole new class system, if you wish. With each module there is a line in the ModuleData.txt that specifies the character set to be used: 'Character Data Set Identifier := Default'. You can use any name here instead of Default. That will cause that only characters that were created under this particular system can be used for that module.

Minor changes to the classes.txt will cause no problems, just some oddities... We have already tested that changing the EXP needed for new levels can be changed with no problems. I have also tested something else. I gave the priest class Sling Proficiency (pet peeve). When I started a new game using an exsisting character, he was able to put points into that skill from then on. So that works . Then I exported the character again and reverted back to the old system. Of course, the skill didn't show anymore and couldn't be improved. But here is the thing: the character still retained the skill levels that it gained using the tweaked classes.txt. I could tell that from the change of attack ability and damage, when equipping the weapon.

What I am looking for is a tweaked Version of the classes.txt that is able to keep the 'Default' label. This way characters could be used for a number of modules and you'd be able to use the ones created with the original modules from MM. But hey, if you don't like that, just delete the classes.txt in the module and use the default (or your own) set.

Now, I don't want to enforce anything here. Just as David said: changes to classes.txt are totally up to the creator of modules and they can do anything they want. Heck, I might just dump this idea and make my own classes.txt to be used with Hack and Slash (and other Modules...). Also you could, of course, make your personal classes.txt and use that with other modules.

Just be aware that if you make major changes, you need to specify your own charcter set and thus only charcaters created under that data set can be used.

phew, that was rather lengthy (and possibly confusing). if anything is unclear, please yell...

Have fun,
Rollo

[ April 15, 2003, 11:04: Message edited by: Rollo ]
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old April 15th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Brigadier General

ooops...
I used quote, instead of edit...

[ April 15, 2003, 11:02: Message edited by: Rollo ]
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old April 15th, 2003, 02:12 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo:
ooops...
I used quote, instead of edit...
OOps! I used quote, instead of post...

Don't mind me I'm just practicing the 'see a goof, be a goof' posting protocol!

Cheers!