.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:11 AM

Corporal

Duncanish is on a distinguished road
Default Carrion Woods pretender setup

I'm a bit curious as to how someone would setup a Carrion Dragon for CW. Go Order or Turmoil? Your population will eventually disappear, so Turmoil might be good. But it's almost impossible to expand early without the money for troops. Production or Sloth? Again, the population dies so it'll be worthless eventually. But gold and resources let you expand better in the early game, which is when I have the most trouble with CW. Heat and Cold? I don't know about this one. Income hits either way, but yet again, the population dies eventually. Growth is forced, but do you go Growth-3, or just the minimum? Fortune or Misfortune? I usually go with Misfortune, but it depends. Magic is forced, but again, do you go full or minimum?

Personally, mine is:
Turmoil-2, Sloth-2, Growth-3, Misfortune-1, Magic-3

I found out what zombies are weak against.
Oh?
Point blank annihilation.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:22 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carrion Woods pretender setup

ehh, its a death nation. slam your scales - the only ones to boost are growth (maybe, but i don't think its quite worth it myself), luck (sure. 2 or 3 i'd say) and magic (probably 3).

put the rest of the points into a heavy hitter.

now, you can go misfortune, but i don't really think pan is hurting for pretender pts in CW.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:20 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

1) IMO, if you take Turmoil you oughtta take Luck, so the now increased probability of events will not cause extreme damage (such as lab-burning events etc.).
2) IIRC, CW doesn't kill population that quickly, a mere 1% per turn (again, IIRC), so taking Growth-3 means only 0.1% per turn, so now you have lots of population so taking Turmoil and Sloth becomes a bad thing.

EDIT: Just wanted to add I saw that 1% in some unrelated post, stating AE kills 5% per turn, SG 4% and CW 1%.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:10 AM

Sergeant

Yossar is on a distinguished road

The only problem with taking luck is when those damn militiamen show up and take all your extremely limited money.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:56 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Still...
What is worse, a few Groups of militiamen, or a bunch of -100 gold and burned temples and labs events?
Personaly, I'd rather have a few militiamen pop up and get the 1000 gold events than constantly losing gold to bad events... Though you have to remember that Luck is great only if you are forced into turmoil...
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:35 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What is worse, a few Groups of militiamen, or a bunch of -100 gold and burned temples and labs events?
Personaly, I'd rather have a few militiamen pop up and get the 1000 gold events than constantly losing gold to bad events.
I'm playing my first MP game w/ CW. I have luck 3, but sure haven't seen any of these "1000 gp" events. Rather, I've gotten huge bunches of militia, which so crippled my economy, that there was an 8 turn period or so where I don't think I even bought one mage. As such, at turn 40, my research is about 1/5 of Caelum's.

the "1% population loss" is per dominion point, so rather unlikely that .6% growth from growth 3 could counteract this ;p
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM

Sergeant

Beorne is on a distinguished road

I've just won my first MP game as pangea CW with
Turmoil-3, Sloth-3, Growth-2, Luck-3, Magic-3

Growth and magic are necessary to raise good troops.
In the end the luck events have resolved the economy, because the extra gold una tantum incomes by luck are very useful. In contrast I've managed to cannon fodder to the front the 4 events of fanatics I've had (no militia event).

Order gives too low benefit cause the pop loss: my economy was funded my luck events, fire gems (sites founds by fire maguses resulting from luck events) and by buying almost only holy troops (ie black centaurs, very good units)

In the medium-late game I swarmed the map with hundreds of green boys.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

With a CW CD, the early expansion (pre-turn ... 10 to 15, depending on independents) is fueled by the carrion dragon. Since gold is always an issue for CW, I never buy any living troops that aren't mages.

So, my scales (I tried others in about 15 MP games as CW) tend to be Turmoil-3, Sloth-3, Heat/Cold-3, Growth-1, Magic-3. Luck varies but I never take misfortune, because CW's national heroes are too good. I don't go past Growth-1 because the higher growth increases how fast the population dies, without having significant enough an effect on the rise of carrion critter freespawns - better to take magic or a higher base dominion, imo.

To build up an army capable of expansion without the CD, I often prophetize the starting centaur commander - this helps spread dominion from the get-go, and also lets him summon 3 carrion cuddlies each turn. (The alternative is to prophetize a Panic Apostate to reduce upkeep on it, but then you don't raise carrion because you need the research more.)
Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:44 PM

Corporal

Nappa is on a distinguished road

I just finished a MP game with a luck 1 scale. In four straight turns I was "awarded" militia and I'd guess that I probably recieved that award about 8 times in the 79 turns the game Lasted. It was a significant part of my gold troubles.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:50 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

I fail to see how 20 militia had a significant impact on you gold supply, when they only cost you 10 gold per turn at the most. If you don't want them, then just round them up and send them off to die as you pass your undead through that province.