.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old December 14th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Making mods for Dominions II. [Basic editing/modding discussion.]

Just want to say thanks to Illwinter for releasing the Hoburg and Troll mods. Its made the whole question of how its done so much more immmediate.

How easy is it going to be to mod the units of existing races? I'm wondering wether I'll need to make new units for a middle earth mod of wether I can change the existing ones.

I have endless questions but I'll wait for the patch and many of the answers should become apparent. This is exciting.

cheers

Keir

[ December 14, 2003, 10:10: Message edited by: Keir Maxwell ]
Old December 14th, 2003, 04:14 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Keir Maxwell:
Just want to say thanks to Illwinter for releasing the Hoburg and Troll mods. Its made the whole question of how its done so much more immmediate.

How easy is it going to be to mod the units of existing races? I'm wondering wether I'll need to make new units for a middle earth mod of wether I can change the existing ones.

I have endless questions but I'll wait for the patch and many of the answers should become apparent. This is exciting.

cheers

Keir
Very easy. The troll mod does this. Troll king and wyvern has altered gold costs. Every attribute can be altered in this way.

#selectmonster "Troll King"
#spr1 ".../mightytroll1.tga"
#spr2 ".../mightytroll2.tga"
#descr "Modern Troll Kings have grown in power"
#hp 76
#str 28
#att 20
#def 15
#magicskill 3 4
#armor "Black Steel Full Plate"
#end

would replace the troll king sprite with mightytroll1.tga, increase the stats of all troll kings and give them black steel full plates and 4 earth magic. As this would alter the effects of Troll Kings Court you might want to be careful. Spell modding is not yet available.

Ex 2:
#selectmonster "Lord Warden"
#spr1 ".../redcap1.tga"
#spr2 ".../redcap2.tga"
#descr "Redcaps are evil ogres that colour their pointy hats with blood"
#hp 25
#str 18
#att 12
#def 12
#weapon "Great Cub"
#goldcost 20
#rescost 2
#end

I'm suddenly aware that I don't know if armors can be removed or just replaced. Annoying. Mounted, healing and other attributes are probably not removable either. Thus this little redcap would be an ambidextrous and sacred forest being running around with a full chain armor recruitable in the Forest of Avalon for 20 gold and 2 res. It would be a commander.
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:

I'm suddenly aware that I don't know if armors can be removed or just replaced. Annoying. Mounted, healing and other attributes are probably not removable either. Thus this little redcap would be an ambidextrous and sacred forest being running around with a full chain armor recruitable in the Forest of Avalon for 20 gold and 2 res. It would be a commander.
:-)

I guess I'll have to make up a few new units.

How problematic will this be in replacing undead summonings with orc breeding? Will the orcs have all sorts of odd abilities or can I get the summoning site to go after different units to those they start attached to?

Cheers

Keir
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:46 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Keir Maxwell:
:-)

I guess I'll have to make up a few new units.

How problematic will this be in replacing undead summonings with orc breeding? Will the orcs have all sorts of odd abilities or can I get the summoning site to go after different units to those they start attached to?

Cheers

Keir
I have just been informed by allmighty JK that attributes ARE removable. No more ambidextrous redcaps. Just use

#clear

to remove all weapons, armors and specials. Enter new ones afterwards.
Old December 16th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:

I have just been informed by allmighty JK that attributes ARE removable. No more ambidextrous redcaps. Just use

#clear

to remove all weapons, armors and specials. Enter new ones afterwards.
Great! And I take it for granted that this also means that without the #clear you can reference an existing unit and make some slight changes without affecting everything else?

Hmmmmmm a script to write a mod file which does one random change to EVERYTHING in the game. If people thought my stuff was "interesting" before when I dropped units into each province wait till they see THIS.
[EvilLaugh]
MUHAHAHAHahahahaa
[/EvilLaugh]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)