.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 9th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Corporal

Demosthenes is on a distinguished road
Default So how \'bout those Mets?

Well THAT was disturbing and unpleasant.

I hope someone explains it all to us someday.

*sigh*

impressive but scary

Even dogs won't sh*t where they eat.
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:18 PM

Sergeant

Kel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So how \'bout those Mets?

Definitely better drama than we have had lately...

Would be nice if whoever closed it posted a Last message to the thread explaining why it was closed...not saying it was wrong to close but some kind of note would be nice.

- Kel
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road

I think it was probably closed to soon. I understand people don't want a flame war, but this is about as serious as you can get concerning a multiplayer video game. In a tournament game, no less.

I think a lot of people had things they would like to say. I had written up a message to post, only to discover the thread was locked while I was writing it.
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

if i were to speculate, it was closed because storm changed the title to something akin to "nyah nyah nyah norfleet's a dirty cheater", when the thread only existed on zen's suffrance, due to likely flaming and insults.

malt, if you have something thought out, pls post it here. as long as people remain civil things should be fine, i think.
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

Well this is the message I was set to post:

---------------------------------------------------

It is a real shame. Cheating is such a hollow victory, it doesn't even seem worth doing.

If you count how many hours you spend on a typical game (days of your life) it is extemely hurtful to have that time wasted by someone who is not playing fairly.

A lot people have very mixed feeling about Norfleet, but in general I think many people (including myself) respected him for his knowledge and skill in winning his games.

But now who knows how many other games he never would have won unless he he gave himself a slight (undetectable) advantage. Seriously, if he would have only cheated 1/10 as much in this game it would have gone unnoticed, but still would have been a tremendous advantage.

I am just very thankful that most of the community here would never dream of cheating in this way. I mean we are not 14 year old kids screaming obcenities, dissing each other mothers, and fragging each other in some 3D shooting game.

It has amazed me how technically savy, proffesional, friendly, intelligent, and open the typical Dominions player is. I hope our community can stay this way.
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The method of cheating isnt going to be discussed. A flame war serves no purpose on the board. Im not sure what else there is to discuss.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

Certainly a flame war serves no purpose.

Norfleet was an extremely prominent member of this forum. He posted nearly 2500 Messages, and had many positive contributions to the community. Its not like it was some unknown person.

Not talking about it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
It just seems like some people might have some thoughts they want to share.

It seems fair to me...

Anyways... I've said my piece, I can fall back into the shadows and continue my normally lurking.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well this is the message I was set to post:

---------------------------------------------------

It is a real shame. Cheating is such a hollow victory, it doesn't even seem worth doing.

If you count how many hours you spend on a typical game (days of your life) it is extemely hurtful to have that time wasted by someone who is not playing fairly.

A lot people have very mixed feeling about Norfleet, but in general I think many people (including myself) respected him for his knowledge and skill in winning his games.

But now who knows how many other games he never would have won unless he he gave himself a slight (undetectable) advantage. Seriously, if he would have only cheated 1/10 as much in this game it would have gone unnoticed, but still would have been a tremendous advantage.

I am just very thankful that most of the community here would never dream of cheating in this way. I mean we are not 14 year old kids screaming obcenities, dissing each other mothers, and fragging each other in some 3D shooting game.

It has amazed me how technically savy, proffesional, friendly, intelligent, and open the typical Dominions player is. I hope our community can stay this way.
Very good post Maltrease.

I also can't possibly understand what kind of pleasure the person can get from such hollow victories? Especially considering such long hours(days) all of us invest in typical MP Dom2 game.

I also have a strong hope that our fellow players community will be better from now on, with this matter brought to the closure. I know I've participated in a lot of flamewars directed at Norfleet myself, together with other players. You know, now that I think about it, I can not think of any good explanation why I would feel such a strong negative emotions toward that person. Something about him ruining my game and his personality in general annoyed me to no end. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I went overboard several times in the past because of it, unable to fully control my feelings.

It's very strange, considering that I am in RL mature and adult person and should know better that to have such feeling toward some anonymous person on the internet over a computer game. Maybe part of the reason is that, as Mal said, we are investing so much of our time into this game, that it become very personal. I don't know...

Anyway, I am glad to see this Norfleet's saga finally finished, in such clear and satisfactory conclusion. I am also quite positive that none of us, Dom2 players, would think of trying to follow his footsteps. The community in general is nice, mature and intelligent. And Norfleet was...well, he was Norfleet.

Enough said.

Regards,
Stormbinder
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:31 PM

First Lieutenant

Zapmeister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And Norfleet was...well, he was Norfleet.

My worry is that he's still here. Not called Norfleet.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Corporal

Demosthenes is on a distinguished road

The thing that really stuns me is the massive level of disrespect heaped on the other players when someone pulls this crap. It says "Your time and effort mean nothing to me".

I guess that would be the logical extension of the Norfleet philosophy as has been expounded in so many other threads. Most notably in my mind, the "Sabre Cherry is NOT dead" thread from two months ago in which I believe I said that Norfleet's attitude was the "enemy of functional society."

But to be honest I respected the guy for his unwavering bull****. I really was expecting him to be able to prove his case and show us all a new amazing strategy for mass gem collection by Turn 20. I guess I should have learned from the style of diatribe in the whole GG fiasco. If one compares the retorts from that whole scandal, Norfleet and his alter-ego's tones at that time were amazingly similar to this week's.

I have to say I learned a lesson from this, again. Again meaning I guess I should have learned this one already... Don't trust anyone. Hmmm....

But wasn't that Norfleet's whole ethos?

The lesson is that people who think that no-one can be trusted, cannot themselves be trusted. One believes that society is a reflection of whatever world-view they have and they go out and manifest that reality upon others. Most people are reasonably good and consciencious. Be careful of anyone who tells you otherwise.