.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old October 29th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Corporal

Grim Knight is on a distinguished road
Default Another Newbie Slugfest - Restarted

Final Game Settings are as Follows:

Game Version is 2.14

Mods: Zen's Pretender Mod v1.81
Sites: 50
HoF: 15
Research: Very Difficult
House Rule: Must be using nation you never played MP Before (If you only played them A Few Turns then it does not count as MP Experience).
Indies: 9
Graphs: Off
Host Speed: 24h QH
Victory Conditions: 2/3 Provinces, on Cradle this calculates to 145 out of 221 provinces.
Map: Cradle of Zen

Everthing Else is at Default Settings.

Everyone, Server is up so you can upload when ready.

IP: 69.10.118.55
Port: 65000

Final Players and Nations Selected List

Grim Knight - Marignon (host)
Panther - Abysia
Steerpike - Jontunheim
Pasha Dawg - Pangaea
Deccan - C'tis
Dragon Fire - Caelum
Krool Death - Vanheim
Beorne - Mictlan
Aku - R'lyeh
Curious Cat - Arcoscephale
Boron - Machaka

Game is full and Closed to New Players at this Time.

Grim Knight
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Corporal

Default Pre-Game Stories

Quote:
Steerpike said:
The Scene: Aboy with his Grandfather.
"Grandfather why has the river turned yellow today?"
"Well my boy." Taking a sip from his glass of the yellow frothy 'water'."You know we are downstream from the province of the giants, occassionally when a being so strong emerges he unites those mighty beings."
"How does this make the river yellow?"
"When the giants are united they, well... have a party they kind of drink a lot... and" takes another sip"well the river Ord is the closest thing to a toilet they have. Never number twos you understand" he gives the boy a stern look.
"There must be a lot of them grandfather if they turn a whole river to gold."
"Gold indeed!"the old man smiles a slightly drunken smile."No there is'nt too many of em but they are big boy, that why they call em giants."
"Are they mighty?"
"Yes boy they are very mighty."
"Would they be as strong as Hulfgar?"
The old man looks towards a 40ish balding militia commander with a belly twice the size of his hips with ill diguised contempt."The 'Average' giant would be a little bit tougher than Hulfgar boy. They are fearsome to behold"
"Well I'm not afeared I know our gaurds will drive these Giants off, look at them!"
The old man casts his eye over the 60 or so militia and shortbowman arrayed before him with derision and takes a huge gulp of the river 'water'." They are worthy of our respect my boy God rest their souls."
"Who is this 'being' that might have united them?"
"Its hard to say boy, could be a standing stone steeped in magic or a mighty Worm with none or a great sage who researches the mysteries of spellore or maybe even some bum with a golden tounge, these giants arn't all that bright ya know."
"What does it or he mean to do."
"Or she boy or she, well if the river runs yellow and the young men of the village pass out drunk in the street it means only one thing... a new pretender has arrived. and if one new pretender arrives it means a whole damn fleet of em have come, DadNabbitt!!!.It means War boy and you have to be aligned to a pretender or you suffer terribly, No you have to be aligned to the winning pretender or you suffer terribly."
"Who are we aligned to Grandfather?"
Sighs."We are aligned to the Independents boy means our assses are hanging out there in the breeze, if we were in the province of Solaris we might be OK for a while but No we have miltia protecting us...LUCKY US... AND we are right next to the giants home province..." He looks at a now rather scared looking boy." Its not so bad little one just make sure you get your mother to make a good fleecy water lined jumper to wear, youll be Ok. Now get along and do your chores Grandfather has some drinking to do."

GO GIANTS!!!!

The Initiate rushes frantically up the steep, gleaming white, steps of the House of Fiery Justice. He is panting loudly as he holds his red robes up over his knees to avoid triping over them in his haste.

At Last he reaches the top of the stairs and bursts through the doors, only to be imediatly stoped by two Men-at-Arms who demand to know his business.

After panting helplessly for a couple of minutes he manages to gasp out, "River ... gasp ... Yellow! Must ... pant ... tell ... our lord."

"Alright then," mutters the guard. "Why didn't ya say so in the first place?" he asks rhetorically. "You'll have to go talk to Inquisitor Ponce Pendergrast, to get an appointment with High Inquisitor Ortega Otwell, who will in turn decide if you warrant an audience with Caramont the Cardinal, then if he deems your news important enough he will pass it along to our great lord." He then waves the initiate through into the magnificent domed entry hall of the building.

As the Initiate begins to walk past the guard points across the room and to the right, "Start by talking to Sargent Santiago, he will decide if you can speak to Ponce. Good Luck." He then returns his attention to the doors he is charged with guarding.

12 hours and many appointments later the young initiate is finally in front of Cardinal Caramont.

"Speak up boy and be quick about it, you have no idea how freaking busy I am." Says the Cardinal as he stands still with his arms out to his sides so the seamstress atending him can measure him for a new robe.

The tired and frustrated young initate speaks up in a sonorous monotone. "The river has turned yellow."

"Well why in the Great Lord's name didn't you say so. Jumpin Jehosefat kid, how long ago was this noted!" he says as he hurriedly shoos the seamtress out of his way and rushes towards you.

"About three quarters of a day by now." The initiate gets out with a distinct sound of treipedation in his voice.

"Dang nabbit kid. Do you realize what this means? You do don't you? You must if you left your river watching post to come here. This is of the utmost importance, why did it take so long to get to my ears?" Yells the Cardinal in a voice that sounds close to hysteria.

"Well first I had to get an appointment with Inquisitor Pendergrast, so I could get an appointment with ..." the initiate starts to explain.

"Flames from the Sky kid, never mind the details, I must tell our great lord immediatly." He says as runs out of his office past an honor guard of 40 Men-at-Arms and 4 Royal Guards standing at attention in his Foyer.

The iniate picks up his robes and hurries to keep up, as they exit the room and run down a hall lined with countless more royal guards the Cardinal keeps emitting a steady stream of curses each more colorful than the Last.

As the enter the Foyer of the Great Lord, which is only accessible after passing through the Cardinals Foyer and the well guarded hall, Cardinal Caramont Tells the initiate to, "Wait for me here!"

The Cardinal Rushes past the guards and into the personal chambers of the Great Lord, Grim Knight, the one unseen by any but the Cardinal Himself. In his haste the Cardinal does not even pause to knock.

A few minutes later a great and powerful voice his heard booming forth from the Great Lords Chambers, "If the river runs Yellow it can mean only one thing. The pretender of the great Jotun Oafs has arrived. So it has begun if the Jotuns have a pretender than doubtless all of the great nations do as well. I was hoping for more time to plan and plot. Alas, it was not to be. Prepare the Army and begin the Attack... we must first bring all these stinking Indepents into the warmth of my embrace. Stoke the Fires the Inquisition must spread. My army shall march at Dawn!"

The iniate collapses on the floor in exhaustion and absolute wonder, he got to hear the voice of his God.

The next morning when he awoke he found himself on a Horse Marching at the front of an Army with a note informing him of his promotion to Witch Hunter and his command of the Army behind him. At the bottom of the note were written the omnious words... "Do not fail me, kid." The note was signed by Cardinal Caramont.

Grim Knight
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:07 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pre-Game Stories

Oh goodie! Pre-game stories!! Hmmm... I will need to think about one for Pan.

I want to make sure I have the right Version of the Cradle map file. Which Version are we using and where do I find it exactly?

I am looking forward to this game!!

Thanks.

PASHA
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:14 PM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road

I got it attached in this post.

Tell me if it doesnt work.

The attachment is zens cradle map.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 307592-307185-zencradle.zip (4.9 KB, 254 views)
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:46 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

Sir Deviant, Arch Mage, Abysian Minister of War and his wife, Madam Candice, Great Enchantress, Abysian Minister of State were waiting outside the sacred Chamber of Hell.

“My love, how long has She been in there?”
“Too long.”
“Then there must be a problem.”
“Yes, I imagine so.”

The iron door into the sacred chamber opened suddenly and She emerged. Her two ministers bowed before their Queen. Both husband and wife spoke simultaneously, “Your Eminence!”

The Queen of the Underground looked down on her two most loyal subjects and spoke. “Sir Deviant. Madam Candice. Good of you to wait. But he is not coming.”
“No! Please, my Queen, surely you could convince Him.”
”Oh, he wanted to, I will tell you that. But my beloved husband cannot set foot above ground here. There is some kind of Zen-Buddhist influence which will not allow him to appear at his present strength. He has said he will not be forced to give up some of his power and weakened thusly. Panther, King of Ghosts, will therefore stay in the Land of Inland ruling over our conquered enemies.”

“So, my Queen, will you lead us here then?”
“No, my dear loyal friends. My duty is by the side of my husband. One of you must take over here.”
“But, my Queen! Who would follow a mere human? We are so weak.”
“Yes, this is true. But this same Zen influence will make you stronger when you go to the surface in the Land of Cradle. Both of you will find that you will be spending less of your hard-earned pretender influence when creating your capitol. You also will both be able to resist extra attacks with much less encumbrance. Additionally, you, Sir Deviant, as a mounted Arch Mage, will find people more ready to follow you than ever before through increased dominion. And you, Madam Candice, as a mind-controlling Great Enchantress, will be ethereal and thus far more able to resist mere steel weapons. Either of you could choose to lead here.”

“What witchery causes this?”
“Yes, it is witchery, but Truth. Zen hath spoken, it would appear. Although…”
“Although what, my Queen?”
“Although, I could claim this land and add it to my husband’s ghostly empire. I wonder if he would mind if I stayed a while.”
“Do it, my Queen, do it! Spread the fires of Hell and suck the blood from this land. You can show all the other false gods the Truth of our immense power!”
“Maybe. I will have to think on it. And go consult my ghostly husband once again. But if I chose not to stay, one of you will have to rule here.”
"Yes, my Queen. We hear and obey."
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:52 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

As you can tell if you read the above post, I cannot decide on a pretender design. I am down to three choices, though. I suppose this means that Zen did a decent job on balancing, since the Ghost King is not one of the finalists.

However, the server is down, so I guess there is no rush at the present time.
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:16 AM

General

Flying high above the forest, Sabrina, one of the most skillful of all harpies, was returning from a long reconnaissance mission from the Jotun Mountains. She spotted two of her sister harpies, Jill and Kelly, perched high on a black walnut tree and gracefully perched herself on a nearby branch.

“Hey, Jill and Kelly… ugh… the things I’ve seen in the land of the Giants!” Sabrina fluffed her feathers stylishly.

“Don’t tell me,” remarked Jill, preening herself. “The river is yellow.”

“I can’t believe it! How’d you know?”

Jill yawned and stretched her wings. “I just returned from spying on Marignon, and that’s all they could talk about. ‘The river’s yellow.’ ‘The Giants have a new pretender’ and ‘Stoke the Fires of the Inquisition’. You know… blah, blah, blah.” Jill rolled her eyes. Sabrina snickered as she reached for some lotion for her shapely talons.

“Don’t complain,” Kelly giggled. “It’s not like you were forced to go to Hell and back like me. The Ghost King and his fat propagandizers are celebrating their recent victory, but they’re still unhappy. According to their bloodsucking queen, the Pale One is *****ing about how the Zen Effect is cramping his style.”

“Hey girls!” shouted a centaur at the bottom of the tree. “C’mon quickly to the grand meadow. The Great Lord of the Wild is taking a break from the afternoon’s debauchery. I think he should hear what you have to report.”

“We’ll be right over, Boz,” called down Sabrina. “What happened to Charlie the Oracle?”

“He’s out of the picture for now,” answered Boz. “Had something to do with the strategic disadvantages of immobility.”
Old October 30th, 2004, 01:48 AM

Corporal

I beleive someone clicked Start Game, Prematurely. When I woke this evening the Server was prompting me to Choose a Map but when I did so not all of the Players were listed, only 5, Arco, Marignon, Jotun, R'lyeh, and Machaka had been chosen.

I have reset the Server so once again people may upload their pretenders, but please, no one click start game, I will do that once all pretenders are uploaded.

Anyone who already uploaded a pretender will need to re-upload.

Grim Knight
Old October 30th, 2004, 01:49 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

"Sslithering sserpentss seesss sinister signsss..." The forked tongue of the lizard shaman flicked mesmerisingly as he talked.

"Ssigns?", answered the throng of lizard followers in a chorus, bobbing and weaving the heads atop their long necks in rhythmn.

"Ssuch ssigns sshows seldom," the shaman nodded emphatically. "Summon ssages, ssing ssongss, speak sspells, ssacrifice sslaves sate sleeping sacred sstatue, stop slumber, ssundered spirit suffuses statue..", he pointed to a large, grimy statue partly hidden in a shadowy corner of the temple.

The shaman's slitted eyes twinkled in the candle-light, "Slugfest sstartssss..."
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:22 AM

General

Default Uploading Pretenders

I connected with the server and selected Pan. With the Mosehansen server there was a two-step process (you also had to connect to his website and identify yourself). Is there a second step with this game or am I all set?

Thanks.

PASHA