.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Closed Thread

Old March 24th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oblivion

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
Heres what I don't like, and its going to be a very common problem from now on I fear. Its consolized. Theres many concessions they obviously made for the 360. It just seems overly simplistic for a RPG as complicated as this. Oh well. I can't wait for the mod community to start pumping out stuff.
One big concession are the very small areas. You will often see the loading screen in dungeons or cities.
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

I hope Oblivion doesn't conflict with Supreme Commander. I'm planning to buy SupCom at release, and Oblivion once the first expansion pack (==major bugfix update) and good mods come out... but I don't know the timing of either event. I'll probably have a nice, new computer by then.

From the mod side, I'd like to see a much better experience system, vastly less ugly people, spears, crossbows, short/long blade split, and from what I'm hearing, a redo of their leveled-list system, and a "PC Version" mod that de-consolizes the interface. Morrowind was much better after various mods came out, and this game repeats some of the same failings... so maybe the same people will fix them
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:36 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saber Cherry said:
I hope Oblivion doesn't conflict with Supreme Commander. I'm planning to buy SupCom at release, and Oblivion once the first expansion pack (==major bugfix update) and good mods come out... but I don't know the timing of either event. I'll probably have a nice, new computer by then.

From the mod side, I'd like to see a much better experience system, vastly less ugly people, spears, crossbows, short/long blade split, and from what I'm hearing, a redo of their leveled-list system, and a "PC Version" mod that de-consolizes the interface. Morrowind was much better after various mods came out, and this game repeats some of the same failings... so maybe the same people will fix them
I love the lvl system its just perfect, much better then gaining xp like in 99% of the RPGs, its old and boring.
What did you meant less ugly people? You gotta be kidding, the variety of the faces in Oblivion is endless. There are hot women, ugly orcs etc, and all of them are different regarding their "face".
You gonna miss the best game out there atm, if you wont buy it right now Saber. :-)
Oblivion >>>> Morrowind, and it is not just the gfx. Everything is just perfect.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:13 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saber Cherry said:
Yeah, I wonder about mods too. Stock Morrowind's balance was badly messed up. Until mega-morrowind mod it was plain boring. I'm afraid the same thing may happen to Oblivion. I guess in a few weeks fans will come to some conclusion.
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM

Major General

Quote:
DominionsFAN said:
I love the lvl system its just perfect, much better then gaining xp like in 99% of the RPGs, its old and boring.
The problem is:

(I mean it! This is a spoiler, do not read if you don't want to know how to abuse the MW/OB level system!)

[spoiler]
blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala The game encourages you to do stupid things like jump in place for 30 minutes if you want high acrobatics, or just if you want that nice 5x mult near the end of a level. The worst problem is that you cannot achieve a great character through intelligent choices - you have to make the most ***-backwards choices instead. Want to lay waste to enemies with a longsword, wearing heavy armor? DON'T choose blade and heavy armor as primary; choose blunt and light armor, but only use blade and heavy armor. Then your blade and heavy armor skills (and, when you *rarely* level, their associated stats) go through the roof, while enemies stay at a low level. If you actually pick the skills you use (or use the skills yuou pick), you level too quickly, and only get x1 or x2 level-ups (very bad!) and have much lower skills for the things you use at any given level. blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala blahblah blah blah blahblahblah blah lala blah lalala
[/spoiler]

Quote:
What did you meant less ugly people? You gotta be kidding, the variety of the faces in Oblivion is endless. There are hot women, ugly orcs etc, and all of them are different regarding their "face".
...Have you seen the before and after "Beautiful Faces / Bodies / Clothes" mods for Morrowind? Oblivion looks a lot like "Before" The forests and dungeons and etc. are amazing, but the people (to me) look ugly. Not low-tech, or low-poly, or low-res... just ugly and unnatural, especially compared to what modders can do for free with the same tools.

Quote:
You gonna miss the best game out there atm, if you wont buy it right now Saber. :-)
Oblivion >>>> Morrowind, and it is not just the gfx. Everything is just perfect.
I agree with both of those (well, except for the 'best' part). But I'd rather miss "X" now and enjoy "3X" later than enjoy "X" now and miss "3X" later. I think you are eating pie dough because you can't wait for the pie
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:39 AM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
A lot of people complained about Morrowinds static world. They came up with a new AI system (the name escapes me). Each NPC will have a set of priorities, which will determine what he does in his day. Some see themselves as warriors, so spend a lot of time training. Some are people ..er people, so they travel around looking for their friends (thats what PC Gamer said). I don't know how they could tell, but I have noticed people striking up conversations that you can ease drop on.
I believe its called Radiant AI.
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:42 AM

Major General

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
I believe it's called Radiant AI.
Because the dogs glow when their owners set them on fire
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:27 AM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saber Cherry said:
Quote:
DominionsFAN said:
The problem is:

(I mean it! This is a spoiler, do not read if you don't want to know how to abuse the MW/OB level system!)

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I still wonder how much effort you put into exploiting games. You were the first to point out that GC2's AI could be exploitet. Why don't you just enjoy the game instead of making such an effort to ruin the game for yourself?
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Major General

I don't put effort into it, I try to enjoy them. But if a single-player game shoots itself in the foot, I'm not going to whittle crutches for it. How much fun is it to play Go or Magic or Basketball against yourself? Not much, because any challenge is purely artificial. Playing Morrowind was, in my experience, like playing D&D alone, with yourself as the GM. I spent half the time in-game, and the other half trying to find a mod or tweak a setting to compensate for the pathetic lack of choice.

In a good game, there are tradeoffs. If Soccer was structured such that only forwards could score, but nobody was allowed to shoot on an undefended goal... any team with non-forwards would automatically lose, it would be a stupid game, and it would have died centuries ago. It's around today because it does not have stupid exploits that require you to play in a deliberately dumb way in order to provide an illusion of challenge for yourself. Oblivion did not have to include the same exploits - they could have learned from the person who modded it to remove them.

Games are self-enclosed. If you have to impose external rules on yourself to make them interesting (like going to the Olympics wearing lead shoes, going on "Who Wants to Be A Millionare" drunk and high, or playing Civilization without ever building buildings) then there is something fundamentally wrong with the game itself. In good games, people don't have to resort to such saboutage - they can unleash themselves and compete to the best of their ability. If I can't compete to the best of my ability, I'm not playing a game - I'm tutoring someone (like when I play ping-pong or raquetball left-handed, or "weakly"). I have no need to tutor someone when I'm alone.
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Saber, you never played with Oblivion but you are posting like if you would. Try it before you are making up these ideas. I am pretty sure that you will be amazed by the whole game...well if you dont like the leveling system etc. I cannot help you in that, but saying that the faces are ugly...that is just nonsense. These are the most realistic faces what I ever seen in any game, they are fantastic.

As for singe player games....I was playing WoW for months, but I still enjoy some singeplayer games much more. Dont forget theres a huge amount of players who do enjoy playing offline, and this is true about Dominions also.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Closed Thread