.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A holy diplomacy question?

I don't think the AI declaration of war ever goes inactive. They may not be actively engaging your land forces, but as NT Jedi says they will attack by long distance spells, such the eagles spell Caleum loves or use those damn anonymous spells that you can't tell who sent them or even if they were random events.

Even with a prior declaration of war, the AI may be engaged in a war with another AI nation and may not have forces available to attack you. But that usually changes eventually.

Because the AI will attack on the same turn as declaring war, the only way to look at it is to assume that you are at war with the AI every turn. The AI will only actively attack you with ground forces when it perceives a quantatative advantage.

And to be fair minded, the player doesn't declare war on the AI, wait a turn or two and then attack either.
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A holy diplomacy question?

I assume it does go inactive, because I've had the AI declare war again after a period without conflict.

There are still advantages to paying attention to the AIs declarations, even if they will attack on the same turn.
You should be prepared for an attack, but if you border 2 AIs and are already at war with one, don't provoke war with the other by attacking, since you assume you're at war with all AIs every turn.
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road
Default Some notes

Getting caught being stealthy in their territory do not appear to be considered as provocation. Nor does fighting an AI army, if the reason you fought is because you both invaded the same third-party (possibly independent) province -- with the probable exception of you killing his pretender in that battle.

Even if you roleplay a peaceful, benevolent ruler who never acts first against an AI in any way, they eventually will declare war on you. This is certain, I suspect, once there's only one remaining.

You can offer it gifts of magic equipment, but the AI isn't too careful about figuring out whether it should actually -use- what you give it (or items in general -- I've seen an Oceanian Kraken pretender with a Soul Contract, for instance. This is not a brilliant combination.).
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some notes

Quote:
Taqwus said:
Getting caught being stealthy in their territory do not appear to be considered as provocation. Nor does fighting an AI army, if the reason you fought is because you both invaded the same third-party (possibly independent) province -- with the probable exception of you killing his pretender in that battle.
You can even attack a province he's in but doesn't own (he's sieging a castle), although I'm not sure if this still applies in 3.10.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Private

ExhalingDeath is on a distinguished road
Default Holy sacred dominion question again

Can you boost dominion above 10 with the use of the five-temple turnover(Nice name huh? Im a professional wrestler)

Thanks in advance
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:33 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Holy sacred dominion question again

The holy recruitment can be boosted, AFAIK, but you can't increase the dominion value that affects the chance of successful dominion spread can't be boosted by temples.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM

BANNED USER

Serenity is on a distinguished road

Lol I've thought that war declaration stuff is just random nonsense without effect on AI.

Therefore ive killed everyone I see moving armies near me, and consider myself at war with everyone.
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Corporal

Dectilon is on a distinguished road

Uh... I thought dominion rose with 1 for every 5 temples, period. The only difference between those dominion points and those you buy at the start of the game is that you don't gain Awe at 9.

While we're on the subject of diplomacy, wouldn't it be nice with an actual integrated diplomacy system? So that you could sign advanced treaties and non-aggression pacts (so that you, for example, could pass through someones territory without attacking them).
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Kristoffer O, one of the developers, checked the actual code in this post back at the DomII forum three years ago:

Quote:

Checked the dominion spread: The chance of a temple generating a possible increase is dependent on the initial dominion of the god. The chances of an increase from the god himself or his prophet is dependent on number of temples though.

Thus the effectivity of temples are determined by the godly power of the pretender and the effectivity of the pretender is dependent on his number of adherents.

This applies to blood sacrifices as well. Make sure you have high dominion if you are Mictlan. Later temples will not have much effect apart from a higher max lvl.

The max dominion and the ability to lower enemy dominion is dependent on temple numbers.
It seems I misremembered. The only factor the number of temples doesn't affect is the amount of dominion the temples spread. All other factors increase with the number of temples.
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM

Corporal

Dectilon is on a distinguished road

Are you sure? Because one match I won against the comp I won through destroying his dominion. It was vs Atlantis and I had no good way of getting at him under water and my god (whom was crappy anyways) was dead. So I built temples on every spot I could find, starting with the shores, but after building a bunch of them on the inland I eventually won (the message was, of course, that the dominion of the other god didn't touch a single province).